HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 01, 2010, 06:39 PM
United States, AR, Benton
Joined Jul 2009
166 Posts
Right on vanish, I like the line "I'm 27 years old an I am a scratch builder." It makes me think of a AA meeting. I'm 31 years old and I am also a builder. Don't know if it's scratch or not. Some, I design or mod. Some I build from plans. Some from kits. just today I bought 3 new kits from an estate sale. All of them are pretty old. It's an jetco Thermic 72, a Sr Playboy, and a Nite bird(i think), they are all going to be converted to electric. The trick to getting more builders is to, get the people who build in contact with the people who want to build, and I think it is just that simple. This site got me going that way.

Salty
Salty79 is offline Find More Posts by Salty79
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2010, 07:37 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,031 Posts
I'm older than both of you, and I'm an original design scratch builder, but then I turn those designs into kits.

Every kit, and even every ARF, started out as an original-design scratch-built. No designers and scratch-builders, no more ARF's.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Sep 02, 2010, 04:35 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
As an old, cranky guy, how am I supposed to take comments relating that all clubs are filled with old, cranky guys! All I can say is; quicker than you can possibly believe, you will be an old cranky guy, too!

I think you young guys should consider that there is nothing new under the sun! It's all been done before by the old cranky guys who were here before you and made it possible for you to do what it is that you do and think is so much cooler then what us old cranky guys have been doing all along and for a very long time!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Sep 02, 2010, 06:45 PM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
age is not the issue - attitude is

I'm over 50, over weight and over a lot of things - but compared to the dominant attitude in the local club, I'm a spring chicken.

The ruling clique is about warbirds, size and territorial behaviour. If you're not into that, you don't fit. Those who differ keep quiet or leave. Don't, can't and won't are catch calls at the field. With these guys, cranky is not the right word - stupid is.

There is no interest in gliding, indoor or helicopters - these categories provoke snide comments. Those with electrics fly only when the others aren't around. There are no members under 40 and numbers are in decline.

I turned up one day with a Fokker DVII and was told by an aging member that he didn't like 'that sort of plane at the field'. 'What sort?' I asked. He pointed at the Balkenkreuz.

The club is moribund and dying for want of new blood and fresh approaches. It's a shame, 'cos there's a lot of knowledge to share - and some superb builders who use traditional materials.

But many of the old crinklies suffer from lack of tech-savvy youngsters in the club; they struggle with computer radios; some fly digital servos on 4.8v batteries; trading over the web is the exception; there is no club website or e-networking.

Building and flying is supposed to be fun, and no one reminds us about that better than young enthusiastic minds.

Linguistic note: in this district, cranky is an expression of approval that means crazy, sick or far out.
Kookaburra is offline Find More Posts by Kookaburra
Old Sep 02, 2010, 07:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Cranky in the part of the U.S. I'm from means ill-tempered, belligerent; or, angry. Not really befitting any of the people in my club; or, the other clubs I'm familiar with here in Minnesota. We have younger folks involved in our club and at least in my club we get along fairly well!

There are not very many young people involved at the club level as like has been said many times before, they are involved up to their ears in other activities.

I hate the generalities being flung around here! Old guys are cranky, not tech-savvy don't understand their radios! This is certainly not what I see here in the U.S. I'm sorry your location is that way!
Old Sep 02, 2010, 07:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookaburra View Post
I'm over 50, over weight and over a lot of things - but compared to the dominant attitude in the local club, I'm a spring chicken.

The ruling clique is about warbirds, size and territorial behaviour. If you're not into that, you don't fit. Those who differ keep quiet or leave. Don't, can't and won't are catch calls at the field. With these guys, cranky is not the right word - stupid is.

There is no interest in gliding, indoor or helicopters - these categories provoke snide comments. Those with electrics fly only when the others aren't around. There are no members under 40 and numbers are in decline.

I turned up one day with a Fokker DVII and was told by an aging member that he didn't like 'that sort of plane at the field'. 'What sort?' I asked. He pointed at the Balkenkreuz.

The club is moribund and dying for want of new blood and fresh approaches. It's a shame, 'cos there's a lot of knowledge to share - and some superb builders who use traditional materials.

But many of the old crinklies suffer from lack of tech-savvy youngsters in the club; they struggle with computer radios; some fly digital servos on 4.8v batteries; trading over the web is the exception; there is no club website or e-networking.

Building and flying is supposed to be fun, and no one reminds us about that better than young enthusiastic minds.

Linguistic note: in this district, cranky is an expression of approval that means crazy, sick or far out.
Excellent post!

My neighbor down the street is an ungodly skilled craftsman who builds some of the finest warbirds I've ever laid eyes on. But lacking any involvement with the younger gebneration he is totally in awe my computerized transmitters and of all things, electric motors and Li-Pos. We were out a month ago and I had his grandson buddy boxing one of my foamies and he was awestruck by the technology improvements. Fortunately, he hasn't succumbed to old age and bitterness at new things, like so many club members appear to be.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Sep 02, 2010, 10:00 PM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
I hate the generalities being flung around here! Old guys are cranky, not tech-savvy don't understand their radios!
MO. With all due respect, I'm not generalising at all, 'cept the second last sentence about young enthusiastic minds. Make no mistake, the post is my case study based on experiences with my local club. But I think it informs the topic of this thread - how do we bring back model building - or in this case, what might be speeding its demise?
Kookaburra is offline Find More Posts by Kookaburra
Old Sep 03, 2010, 05:43 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
So, what I hear you saying is: All the old, gruff, guys are killing the hobby! In the 50-60-70 years of their lives they have been unable to keep up with the vast amount of changes occurring exponentially at machine gun speed and they should be ashamed of themselves for slipping so far behind!

Everyone in my club has a computer radio and quite honestly there isn't much in un-computerized radios left out there and there hasn't been for several years. These folks all seem to understand how to use them. The most active people in the club are of retirement age. So, at least locally, my case studies do not agree with yours!

My point is, I think it is totally unfair to put all the blame for the hobbies problems on the older generation. If you think it's fair then we can never agree on anything and all this talk is pointless!
Old Sep 03, 2010, 06:20 AM
Bicycle clown
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2010
399 Posts
You have a nice club there in Minnesota. There"s some videos on Youtube about you. Some guy had a MiG-21 and some guy landed on a tree with his giant scale P-51.
There"s always somebody out there, who is gonna ignore your balkenkreutz, hakenkreutz, and expecially the red star. It"s just sad. Scale models are not political statements.
Shuffle is offline Find More Posts by Shuffle
Old Sep 03, 2010, 06:23 AM
saucerguy
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Offensive content (Flatulence). It is temporarily hidden while saucerguy edits it.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 07:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Reply 715 reported for off topic disruption.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Sep 03, 2010, 07:43 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,405 Posts
I wondered if I was the only one that was irritated by that post. I guess not.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Sep 03, 2010, 08:03 AM
United States, WA, Yacolt
Joined Dec 2005
1,026 Posts
NoFlyZone so you report me then.....yeah, not irritated, just wondering where the heart is on the matter here, so very sorry I offended someone then again, not really if I'm being honest here,....
saucerguy is offline Find More Posts by saucerguy
Old Sep 03, 2010, 08:06 AM
United States, WA, Yacolt
Joined Dec 2005
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I wondered if I was the only one that was irritated by that post. I guess not.
so, for the many years I have spent here, all of the contributions, can't post some thing out of context.... surely I hope I did not raise offense to your gentle stature and disposition, I'd hate to have your countenance be disrupted
saucerguy is offline Find More Posts by saucerguy
Old Sep 03, 2010, 08:39 AM
..in a Johnny Cash voice.
Canada, NS, Beaver Bank
Joined Aug 2010
310 Posts
I'm a 33 year old dad of two sons. I build from scratch out of whatever I find handy...and my older boy sits down and watches me build an entire aircraft from scratch often. He finds it amusing that I will build for many hours so I can fly for less than 10 minutes.

Here's the kicker. When we go to the LHS he bypasses the kits completely and heads straight for the carbon fiber and balsa. When we're at the local building center he's sizing up foam pieces for wings. He also glue-guns "planes" together from foam scraps so that he and his little brother can zoom them around the house... I love it!

Building isn't gone at all.... It just isn't in the forefront of pop culture. I feel the same about electronic dance music...I'm glad the "rave" scene went back underground so that us real dancers can go back to enjoying it fully.

When the snotty kids eventually don't have money to replace a $100 ARF every week they'll build out of sheer necessity! Balsa, covering, foam and glue are all cheaper than a kit.
Vintabilly_NS is offline Find More Posts by Vintabilly_NS
Closed Thread