Closed Thread
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:02 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinkley0826 View Post
hey guys. total new here, since I was about 13 and first saw an rc airplane I've always wanted one. I've raced rc cars, tried flying helicopters, and have been flying a hbz champ for a few months now. I love it, but I want something bigger now and I'd like to build it myself too. nothing would satisfy me more than building my own plane and seeing it fly. Also, money is a little tight, and I figure if I build it, it will take awhile and I can buy things a little at a time as opposed to buying an ARF. I'd like something around 46", and probably electric as I've never had any luck with nitro engines when I used to race rc cars. I'd like to stay around $100 for the kit, I know things will add up quickly and thats why I want to stay at $100. :-)

any suggestions? I was thinking about the telemaster 40. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/telemaster40.htm

thoughts? suggestions? let me have it boys, I know you all have opinions. lets hear them.

JB
If money is tight, go over to the scratchbuilt foamies forum and look up either the BluBaby or Oshkosh special threads. You can make them in the 42" span size from a couple of sheets of dollar store foam board for an airframe at less than 5 bucks. (or use blucor, or any other foam, but the dollar store stuff is most readily available without buying a whole bundle of blucor). You can make them as realistic as you want, build a UC wing for 3 channel learning, then build an aileron wing in KFM or clarkY versions for 4 channel running. They are both sweet flyers and you will have done it all yourself, and have guys come up to you asking "where did you get that, is it an ARF?" or "where do you get the kit?"

OK special thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1040899

BluBaby thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681556

This thread has lots of Tony's plans, with special attention to important posts about the Blubaby in post #2 (BB thread is a monster, have to use search a lot to find info): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997484
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by springer; Aug 29, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2010, 04:36 PM
United States, KS, Andover
Joined Oct 2005
539 Posts
Quote:
hey guys. total new here, since I was about 13 and first saw an rc airplane I've always wanted one. I've raced rc cars, tried flying helicopters, and have been flying a hbz champ for a few months now. I love it, but I want something bigger now and I'd like to build it myself too. nothing would satisfy me more than building my own plane and seeing it fly. Also, money is a little tight, and I figure if I build it, it will take awhile and I can buy things a little at a time as opposed to buying an ARF. I'd like something around 46", and probably electric as I've never had any luck with nitro engines when I used to race rc cars. I'd like to stay around $100 for the kit, I know things will add up quickly and thats why I want to stay at $100. :-)

any suggestions? I was thinking about the telemaster 40. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/telemaster40.htm

thoughts? suggestions? let me have it boys, I know you all have opinions. lets hear them.

JB
The Telemaster is not at all difficult to build and is a very nice airplane. You can have a lot of fun with it. It will fly fine with an inexpensive 40, but if you can, I'd opt for a 46. Flaps are a ton of fun with this plane, but not needed at all to have nice slow flight characteristics. You might go a little over your budget, but I'd say it's worth it.
markschaffin is offline Find More Posts by markschaffin
Old Aug 30, 2010, 05:06 PM
United States, WA, Yacolt
Joined Dec 2005
1,027 Posts
The winds can be tamed, and you'll find the dihedral does you zero good in them, just the opposite, instead of correcting, they force the plane to get batted around. The main thing to consider, is if you can handle flying a plane that doesn't correct itself, and how much wind you are prepared to fly in. With mine, most of the time, the control surfaces are closer to 3d style planes, so I can counter 30+ mph winds. The polyhedral trainer I had was excellent to learn off of, but had to wait for those moments at dusk and dawn when the winds tend to die down. If I tried to go right to something to handle winds, it would be doubtful I'd have any stick time, and it took that process of getting used to something gentler and accepting the fact, only when it's not windy.

If you are going up in scale, .40 and above, you'll have a lot more weight, so can dial in the dihedral and more conservative control surfaces, since the weight will counter the winds a lot more.
saucerguy is offline Find More Posts by saucerguy
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:51 PM
Joined Jan 2010
79 Posts
ordered the squirt 400 along with several other items.. wooohooo, can't wait until I get this so I can get started on it. don't get me wrong, not in a hurry, I just want to get started. I'm going to do this right, and I know if I get in a hurry it won't be. patience is something I'm going to have to learn. :-) thanks for the help guys.
jbrinkley0826 is offline Find More Posts by jbrinkley0826
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
ordered the squirt 400 along with several other items.. wooohooo, can't wait until I get this so I can get started on it. don't get me wrong, not in a hurry, I just want to get started. I'm going to do this right, and I know if I get in a hurry it won't be. patience is something I'm going to have to learn. :-) thanks for the help guys.
You picked a fine model to cut your teeth on, believe me. And the key is to build it for the fun of building it. Once you start building it to get it finished, it will look like crap, believe me. Take your time, enjoy the feel and textures of the pieces, and do not rush or take shortcuts, whatever you do.

Cover it in So-Lite. When it comes time to cover, I'll point you to the best beginner's guide to covering ever written, bar none.

Get a nice flat piece of MDF board, then buy a 2x4 foot ceiling tile and use it as your build table.

I've built the SQuiRT, so I will be more than willing to help in any small way I can.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:42 AM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
When it comes time to cover, I'll point you to the best beginner's guide to covering ever written, bar none.
Hey Chuck. That sounds like a good site. Any chance of sharing it with us?
Kookaburra is offline Find More Posts by Kookaburra
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookaburra View Post
Hey Chuck. That sounds like a good site. Any chance of sharing it with us?
Here ya go. Written by a pro who remembers what it was like to cover for the first time. Practice exercises, and tons of pics.

Covering Tutorial for Beginning Builders

Chuck
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:45 PM
Joined Feb 2009
10 Posts
Get kids out of, away from the fancy cell phones, MP3 players, computers and playstations. They are or have lost imagination and guidance from the use of these items. We as the older generation have let them slip away into a fantacy world where they don't have to know how to read or use tools etc. I will shut up now and quit my ranting. Be thankful I didn't get onto music. LOL
dw1305 is offline Find More Posts by dw1305
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:27 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw1305 View Post
Get kids out of, away from the fancy cell phones, MP3 players, computers and playstations. They are or have lost imagination and guidance from the use of these items. We as the older generation have let them slip away into a fantacy world where they don't have to know how to read or use tools etc. I will shut up now and quit my ranting. Be thankful I didn't get onto music. LOL
I hear you, especially on the music, I play guitar, teach as well, and too many of the youth are playing this stupid guitar hero rather then learning the real instrument.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 07:11 PM
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucerguy View Post
I hear you, especially on the music, I play guitar, teach as well, and too many of the youth are playing this stupid guitar hero rather then learning the real instrument.
It's always been up to adults to challenge youth to break out of the boundaries of the culture. But too often, we adults and parents aren't willing to tell Junior to turn off the computer and i-phone, pick up a wrench or a saw or a pencil and go do something useful. Maybe we're too lazy or too afraid to show our own ignorance, and so we lose forever this opportunity to stengthen the familial bonds.

Chuck Berry is my "guitar hero"!

-tom
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJacoby View Post
It's always been up to adults to challenge youth to break out of the boundaries of the culture. But too often, we adults and parents aren't willing to tell Junior to turn off the computer and i-phone, pick up a wrench or a saw or a pencil and go do something useful. Maybe we're too lazy or too afraid to show our own ignorance, and so we lose forever this opportunity to stengthen the familial bonds.

Chuck Berry is my "guitar hero"!

-tom
My generation gave your generation the concept of throwaway everything. 90% of what you use on a daily basis is made to be thrown away and not fixed or even refilled (Bic Lighters). My generation made your generation the laziest generation ever. What has your generation given the newest?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:40 PM
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
My generation gave your generation the concept of throwaway everything. 90% of what you use on a daily basis is made to be thrown away and not fixed or even refilled (Bic Lighters). My generation made your generation the laziest generation ever. What has your generation given the newest?
Being as I'm 62 years old, I doubt that your generation gave my generation anything. Perhaps you were complaining to one of the younger readers of this thread - if there are any

This thread is about how to bring model building back. I don't think it's gone away. There's more ingenuity, invention and great scratch-built model aircraft on Ezone this year than I've witnessed in nearly 50 years of model building and flying.

Don't lament the disappearance of model building. It's not gone. It just changed.

-tom
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Sep 01, 2010, 01:16 PM
Caster Of Pods
Waco, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2005
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucerguy View Post
My adult son turned me on to Guitar Hero, so naturally we have it here and play with it from time to time. He totally rocks with it!

Like I told him, though, for the time he spent mastering this 'game', he could have learned the real thing and would have been playing it pretty well by now.

Go figure...
crash-man is offline Find More Posts by crash-man
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TheCrashCast.com - Episode 287
Old Sep 01, 2010, 03:07 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash-man View Post
My adult son turned me on to Guitar Hero, so naturally we have it here and play with it from time to time. He totally rocks with it!

Like I told him, though, for the time he spent mastering this 'game', he could have learned the real thing and would have been playing it pretty well by now.

Go figure...
It's a variation of the electronic simon sais, nobody actually "rocks" on it, lol. And yeah, big eye rolling with all of that time he wasted on it when he could have learned the real instrument. I've had noob's, never touched the thing before having fun and making sense of it within the first 30 minutes. I teach theory from the beginning, it lets them not only have fun, they have the tools to be truly great at it and not have to spend 1/2 of their lives trying to get to that level.

The same thing can go with the model airplane elements, too often people look to the finished product and think it's far out of their reach, when we all know, it's just not that hard. Like my music, showing what can be done with practice and direction, the same is being absorbed in the current time and trends. It's about confidence in getting there and knowing you will some day reach a level where you are able to do this in your sleep.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 06:25 PM
Concept Builder
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Feb 2008
466 Posts
I've got so many opinions for this thread, especially as it has changed from page 1-20 to 47+!

I'm 27 years old an I am a scratch builder. I don't even use plans, I prefer to build whatever is in my head. You can see some of my planes in my blog: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=195786

I might still be in this hobby without him, but my grandfather built my first plane with my almost 15 years ago (.40 high wing balsa trainer). We spent a whole winter on it. I barely got to fly it and after lots of practice I eventually crashed it after panicking about which way to turn upon takeoff from the runway (right, no left... overcorrect!). I had half built another plane but that was pretty much the end of my flying (he also became ill shortly thereafter).

My biggest observation has been with flying clubs. I've checked out six different clubs. No offense, but it has almost always been all old cranky guys with expensive planes Where is a guy supposed to learn flying OR building techniques (answer: here)?

For me, Foam+Electrics was the only way I was going to re-enter the hobby. The entry cost is minimal, and so is development cost. I can design my own plane, fly it unpainted, trim, hot glue some on, etc until I think the plane is right. Then, rebuild the whole darn thing and it would be unlucky if I passed $10 in building materials. I priced out building one of my designs in balsa and it was going over $80 in materials. That's a significant difference.

FYI: I also have an xbox, iphone and play guitar hero. Nothing wrong with having fun. Picking on that is like saying you're wasting your time with models, go build a real plane!

I did drop cable TV to fit in all my hobbies
Vanish is offline Find More Posts by Vanish
Closed Thread