HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:04 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,494 Posts
I taught someone to fly on e-power... he has since built a "real" kit.. and it flew nice s ( E-power.). he since purchase a foamy type plane... needed to replace the nosewheel... was sold the nosehweel.. unfortunately most foamies are not made for repair as all the innards are "assembled" before glueing the fuse halves together...

He did crash the balsa kit plane... though not bad... ... was repaired and flying again before figuring out how to replace the nosewheel in his foamy... and the moral of story is.....

Buy expensive replacement part (relatively speaking).... take long time to figure out how to replace it in the stock model... end up re-engineeering stock model as you know the same problem will ocurr again... fix still in process...

Buy kit and electroncis for cost of RTF foamy... satisfaction of showing up with something no one else has... learned how to build.. how to modify as needed going forward on future kits due to experience... ... crash said kit.. and fix in two nights... back flying the next weekend...

Foamy still on bench sitting next to expensive replacment part that is not possible to replace with out extensive modifications... modifcations have begun....

I;m finishing up my Craftair Firebird for maiden this weekend.. (compnay and model no longer in procduction.. yes.. no one will have one of these)... then on to a clipped wing club... I opened the box the other day and took a big whiff of all that fesh cut balsa.... those who build know what i mean ...
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
I taught someone to fly on e-power... he has since built a "real" kit..
A 'real' kit is one of those kits where all the parts are laser cut and you must use all your craftsmanship skills to apply the CA glue between each piece?
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:16 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
A 'real' kit is one of those kits where all the parts are laser cut and you must use all your craftsmanship skills to apply the CA glue between each piece?
'

Lol.. I used the term loosely...
it was laser cut yes... but it was a box of wood none the less... and he learned a lot... about incidence... running hardware... seeing how to do things better than the kist suggested..problem solving, etc...

I'm also building a much mor real kit in your terms... ... VK models Nieuport 17 1/6 scale designed in the late 70's.. and i don't think they changed much in it.. still calls for wrapping some joints with gauze !! ... hey... it's a start for my e-buddy right.... he's seeing the light of kits... ... baby steps.. man.. baby steps !!
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:22 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Are we going to argue about what kit building is? Was the kit laser cut, did you use C.A. glue? How is it that these factors could mean; then it's not kit building!

The point is, Thermalin is helping someone get started building and for this he deserves a great big 'at aboy!!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post

We are people of entirely different attitude. Some are builders and some are destroyers.
I've certainly done more than my fair share of destroying, unfortunately...
Old Aug 28, 2010, 06:52 PM
Joined Jan 2010
79 Posts
hey guys. total new here, since I was about 13 and first saw an rc airplane I've always wanted one. I've raced rc cars, tried flying helicopters, and have been flying a hbz champ for a few months now. I love it, but I want something bigger now and I'd like to build it myself too. nothing would satisfy me more than building my own plane and seeing it fly. Also, money is a little tight, and I figure if I build it, it will take awhile and I can buy things a little at a time as opposed to buying an ARF. I'd like something around 46", and probably electric as I've never had any luck with nitro engines when I used to race rc cars. I'd like to stay around $100 for the kit, I know things will add up quickly and thats why I want to stay at $100. :-)

any suggestions? I was thinking about the telemaster 40. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/telemaster40.htm

thoughts? suggestions? let me have it boys, I know you all have opinions. lets hear them.

JB
jbrinkley0826 is offline Find More Posts by jbrinkley0826
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinkley0826 View Post
hey guys. total new here, since I was about 13 and first saw an rc airplane I've always wanted one. I've raced rc cars, tried flying helicopters, and have been flying a hbz champ for a few months now. I love it, but I want something bigger now and I'd like to build it myself too. nothing would satisfy me more than building my own plane and seeing it fly. Also, money is a little tight, and I figure if I build it, it will take awhile and I can buy things a little at a time as opposed to buying an ARF. I'd like something around 46", and probably electric as I've never had any luck with nitro engines when I used to race rc cars. I'd like to stay around $100 for the kit, I know things will add up quickly and thats why I want to stay at $100. :-)

any suggestions? I was thinking about the telemaster 40. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/telemaster40.htm

thoughts? suggestions? let me have it boys, I know you all have opinions. lets hear them.

JB
In my opinion only, I think the Telemaster is too much stick construction for a brand new builder. Take a look at the SQiRT 400 from stevensaero.com, or the Dandy from Mountainmodels.com

Both are highly precise planes utilizing laser cut parts and no stick construction, and both planes fly like homesick doves.

Chuck
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:42 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,390 Posts
Quote:
any suggestions? I was thinking about the telemaster 40.
I'm with Chuck on the Telemaster - depending on your modeling skills.

Many of the electric kits are open-frame stick construction to keep the finished model as light (and strong) as possible. Jumping into building with a stick, or "open frame" model may be more of a chore than a pleasure but it CAN BE DONE. Heck, back in "the day", you cut your teeth on building stick & tissue rubber-powered models. If you go with the Telemaster, keep in mind that it will be an exercise in patience as well as skill building.

One new builder in our club took on the Sig Rascal (in electric) as their first building endeavour. Came out really nice!

You may also want to take a look at Aero Craft LTD. They offer several laser-cut electric kits.:

http://www.aerocraftrc.com/

Whatever kit you choose, have fun with it.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:58 PM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Quote:
I figure if I build it, it will take awhile and I can buy things a little at a time as opposed to buying an ARF.
Thanks JBR for highlighting an important part of model building - time. I think it's disturbing that in our cultures we find it necessary to have labels like The Slow Movement to remind us what life's really about.

Related weird concepts: slow food; time poverty; stop the world I want to get off; quality time . . .
Kookaburra is offline Find More Posts by Kookaburra
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:47 PM
United States, MS, Amory
Joined Oct 2004
1,413 Posts
we've given up on thinking...so kits are only for the few that earn them.

I actually like building more then flying... maybe 60/40
mtnmnstr is offline Find More Posts by mtnmnstr
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:04 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I've always felt the hobby to be divided thusly: 50% building, 25% BSing with my buddies and 25% flying. Lately I think for myself it is 75% building and 24% BSing and 1.00 % flying. Do I need to be sorry to all of you, that's how I think?
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Aug 29, 2010, 05:29 AM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
Do I need to be sorry to all of you, that's how I think?
NAH! With you on that one.
Kookaburra is offline Find More Posts by Kookaburra
Old Aug 29, 2010, 05:54 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
I've always felt the hobby to be divided thusly: 50% building, 25% BSing with my buddies and 25% flying. Lately I think for myself it is 75% building and 24% BSing and 1.00 % flying. Do I need to be sorry to all of you, that's how I think?
Latterly its become 70% designing, 27% BS ing to customers, 0% building and 1% flying.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:16 AM
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,641 Posts
Quote:

JB
The Telemaster has been around forever for a reason: it's a sweet-flying aircraft. I had my first R/C flights on a Telemaster back in 1977. The fellow who owned it just handed me the transmitter and said "fly it". I managed to circle the field a couple of times, and I was hooked forever. I never built one, so no comment on the construction...

-tom
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:30 AM
Joined Jan 2010
79 Posts
thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm leaning towards the squirt 400. how does it handle in the wind? I want a plane that I'll be able to fly for awhile and not have to worry about a 5 or 10 mile per wind. right now I have the little champ, and its a handful with a breeze... at times its almost stationary if the wind is hitting a good lick. lol

and i know there is quite a difference in weight and power, just want to make sure I make the right decision. prolly be awhile before I buy another one....... well, I say that. lol.
jbrinkley0826 is offline Find More Posts by jbrinkley0826
Closed Thread