HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:17 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,769 Posts
...just another thing that can get caught in the Lathe and rip my bloody ears off with...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2013, 11:34 AM
Living in the south of France
Joined Aug 2011
446 Posts
After my Fokker DR1, D V11 and Eindecker here is my last one, a Balsa USA ( OK another one !) my Bristol M 1,,,,
paulinfrance is offline Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Old May 08, 2013, 02:20 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,769 Posts
Schweet

BJ
Old May 13, 2013, 07:29 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,441 Posts
18,000 posts.... DA-Yum
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old May 13, 2013, 07:47 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
861 Posts
now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old May 15, 2013, 09:45 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,769 Posts
~*suffer*~

BJ
Old Oct 09, 2013, 06:23 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
This thread is 174 pages long and was started in August of 2009! It also has some great information in it. Little of it was provided by yours truly. The last post was on May 15th of this year. Does the thread have anymore life in it? Is building coming back? My latest Model Aviation Magazine (the AMA's own publication) which I just received on October 7th is devoted to building models. It appears that some of the modeling press is now starting to consider that building models might be an important aspect of this hobby!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Oct 09, 2013, 09:21 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,653 Posts
Flying Models has never left that aspect, and that is probably one reason I enjoy writing for them periodically. I know I'm working for builders, and that it will be read by builders.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 09, 2013, 08:02 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,215 Posts
Nice... I'm building a plane right now... albeit a micro.. still a kit, still a build.. and very satisfying... and actually very challenging. I've had to break out my tweezers, magnifier, and toothpicks for applying glue.... very nice... and I have a Butterfly, and a Dynaflite FunScale P-51 in line.

I hope life's treating everyone well.

Yes.... very good thread indeed. Good to see it up again... good job.
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Oct 10, 2013, 05:42 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,663 Posts
Hi Andy- you're spot on, about "Flying Models Magazine"..There's no loss of direction, there, and for builders, it's the 'go to magazine'.

It's good to see this thread revived again. Building season has commenced on the East Coast...It's rainy and foggy, and getting much cooler..
Once again those models started last year will be reassigned to a workbench,and more will be flying next year.
5 models under construction-two kits and 3 designer scale-(my preferred description for "scratch built" ), the latter originating from blank sheets of paper.

And although it sounds like sacrilege,coming from me, there's a flat foam "Old Fogey" electric powered in the works, plus some modifications to an aaaagggghhhh ! ARF ! -(new nacelles for the Rascal 110 twin).

Life is good...Later, Earl
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Oct 10, 2013, 06:27 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Sort of like picking at an old scab, let's talk about a controversial subject, defining "Scratch Built". Some people feel that Scratch Building can only be defined as designing your own airplane and building from raw lumber.

In cooking, if we take making a cake; or, bread from "Scratch" which is likely where doing something from "Scratch" came from, coming up with your own recipe is not a requirement of the process.

Considering that the term "Scratch Built" includes the word "Built" I don't know how this term can be used to mean it requires "Designing", also. My guess is that the people who have designed and built from scratch, want the extra credit for having designed the model, also.

So, it only makes sense to me to say that "Scratch Building" pertains to building, meaning I can design or buy a set of plans and be building from "Scratch", I term this "Scratch from Plans". If I've also designed the airplane, and feel a need for people to understand that I am the designer, I would say "Scratch from own plans".

Doesn't this make sense to you?

This post is simply the ramblings of a person who wakes up almost every morning before 6:00 AM and simply wanted to start the day with some "Off the cuff" philosophizing.

How you want to define "Scratch Building" is totally up to you.

Maybe at a later date I will discuss a term which is in wide spread use that I feel is also incorrectly used and that is "Maiden Flight"!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Last edited by Mode One; Oct 10, 2013 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Because I can!
Old Oct 10, 2013, 07:10 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,257 Posts
As it says under my forum name, An itch ?. Scratch build.

In other words, if you want something 'different', even if it's only a different sized version, have a go at doing it yourself.

Perhaps it should be, 'building - scratch'.

You build, you sand it smooth, and all that darn dust makes you want to scratch.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 10, 2013, 07:18 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,663 Posts
He he- I can see the humor in your post- at least the last sentence about Maidens flying...it conjures up sights of pigs flying also.. Can't wait to hear your take on that..

"Scratch-built " is a very sensitive term to some, but I fail to see why....It's supposed to be used to describe a model not built from a kit......the same as a cake isn't from a box if yo' mamma makes it with flour,eggs,etc.

I sometimes take offense at the comment that "designer scale" defines me as an egotist, simply because I use the term to describe my building technique..I build from my own designs, plans, kits, and arfs... In that case,(in my mind), I go from top of the heap, to bottom of the barrel, in that short description of activities.
A little insight into my way of describing designer scale...is that in competition circles, others know immediately the origins of the model.

Let's open this can of worms with my definitions, and expand on them...
1.Designer scale-everything involved in building the model is produced by the builder...from obtaining 3 views, drawing the plans. building the model and finishing it.-Outside materials such as wire, wheels, radios, engines, glue are generally purchased as standard ware.
This in no way indicates the builder is any thing special- usually he wants to build a model no one has plans for, or interest in,so it's a necessity for him.

2. Scratch built-Less effort is required by the builder, as plans, 3 views, and instructions are supplied by outsiders, usually with much experience in doing so..
In the "learning curve" this is the last step before designer scale, where the builder is challenging himself to leave the structured kit for something more interesting.

3. Kit building-Those who want to build their own models, but for many reasons don't want to design or research them.
This is the basis of model building.... Success is almost guaranteed, and few special tools are required to complete an impressive model, although they can be used as an advantage toward better , easier building.

Add suggestions, definitions, and advice as you wish...Maybe we can beat this dead horse back alive
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Oct 10, 2013, 08:11 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,439 Posts
My definitions are the same as your, Earl, but I title them differently.

Your Designer Scale, I call scratch building.

Your Scratch building, I call plans building.

I have to admit, I get irritated when an ARF assembler says that he "built" his airframe.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Oct 10, 2013, 08:32 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,062 Posts
Cut 'n' paste from wholly unsubstantiated internet source ..

"For the term made from scratch, this blog writes:

This use of scratch derives from a line or mark drawn or scratched into the ground to indicate a boundary or starting-point in sports, especially cricket and boxing. That meaning of scratch goes back to the late 18th century. From there it came to apply specifically to the starting point, in a handicap, of a competitor who received no odds: "Mr. Tom Sabin, of the Coventry Bicycle Club, has won, during last week, three races from scratch." (Bicycle Journal, August 18, 1878).

It was later applied figuratively with the meaning "from nothing", and it was used thus by James Joyce in Ulysses (1922): "A poor foreign immigrant who started scratch as a stowaway and is now trying to turn an honest penny." Thereafter it was taking up in cooking once boxed mixes and prepared foods became widely available. Today it is a badge of honor to be able to say one made a culinary delight from scratch."

Something to do with making a scratch on the ground as a starting point for a race or a boxing bout ... similar to "toeing the line", I suppose ... or ab initio.

Anyway, I'm at it again ... building, that is. Can't seem to stop, even though I know I really shouldn't do any more until I've got rid of a few.

I'm utilising a section of wing from a 1/3rd Sig Spacewalker. Really nice bit of wing, about 84" span. Gonna mate it to a triangular, open-structured fuselage. The end result should be something like a Flair Hannibal. But mine will have a complex tricycle undercarriage, with four wheels. Enya 1.20R will have to do, 'cos it's the only free engine that I have. Perry pump.

Intending to employ no balsa in the construction. Conventional 3-axis controls. No flaps. Should make a pleasant sport model.

Of course, the sensible thing would be to ditch the Sig wing and not bother with a new build. Can't bring myself to throw that wing away, though.
bogbeagle is offline Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Closed Thread