Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:19 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner View Post
Lets see,?. Going back to 2009 and now 2013 the question is still ,"how we going to bring modeling back", I may have found an answer and a chance for someone to make some money. We have the ARF's and RTF's already, all they need is a I-phone that will fly them that will start a whole new fad for all the dimwits that want there phone to do more. "Just an idea, suppose it would fly,?

Hummmm, may just work.Leroy
My boss has owned his i-phone for less than a month and its crashed twice now . The first time it crashed it wiped out over 600 contacts in its memory and they could not retrieve them. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:22 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,285 Posts
That, and I honestly think a simulator would work a lot better for the technologically addicted. Knowing that they have to spend time and money building something that could quickly be wrecked if their flying got interrupted by a call or a glitch would probably be an immediate turn off. :-/

I miss building. Life hasn't allowed me much time to do it for a few years. Time's still tight, but funds are tighter now, and I have a whole slew of kits and plans. Most will be build as the FF kits they are, but a few will get converted to RC. It's just going to be slow going, but I can't stand to not participate in this amazing sport for any longer! I'll always be a builder!
KnifeEdge51 is offline Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:26 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,410 Posts
As far as the "pre-programmed " flyers' needs being met, I have the solution at our field.
I volunteer to test fly each new build if the builders want me to.

I have no investment in the model,so it's not an emotional loss if something goes wrong....I'm an accomplished flyer, so their confidence level is high.

After the initial trimming and adjustments are in place, the owner can instruct me to put the model into any flight mode he wants.

His building abilities are in the air,and let's face it-some builders are NOT capable pilots-and I get to fly some of the most beautiful airplanes.For free.

Some of my builds take years, and I stay 'current' with their models...
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And modeling is back-to a high degree ...check out Balsa Builders' 'Show us your naked wood' thread....simply amazing builds there.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:02 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
And modeling is back-to a high degree ...check out Balsa Builders' 'Show us your naked wood' thread....simply amazing builds there.
Correction - it's not "back" because it never went anywhere!

Too many, like the OP apparently, think they are Tigger. (Tigger's theme song says that "the most wunnerfull thing about Tiggers is, I'm the only one!")

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:20 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,358 Posts
I agree with Andy on this one ,i know alot of builders that dont even own a computer and the ones who do are to busy building planes to come here and post pictures of them or chit chat . There are thousands of guys building planes we just never hear from them. joe
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:03 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
679 Posts
Andy may have a good point, Joe also but there may be another part to the reason.

I'm doing a build thread right now and I thought it would be of intrest simply because this type of build isn't one you see every day. "Boy was I wrong", there is so little intrest I wonder why I started it in the first place. Well I will finish it but there isn't much desire to ever do another.

Makes me think, how many others feel the same way ?, hence , plenty of builders just less and less desire to post it. If you look at the number of posts verses the number of lookers there may be a clue there. Leroy
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner View Post
Andy may have a good point, Joe also but there may be another part to the reason.

I'm doing a build thread right now and I thought it would be of intrest simply because this type of build isn't one you see every day. "Boy was I wrong", there is so little intrest I wonder why I started it in the first place. Well I will finish it but there isn't much desire to ever do another.

Makes me think, how many others feel the same way ?, hence , plenty of builders just less and less desire to post it. If you look at the number of posts verses the number of lookers there may be a clue there. Leroy
Its the same as builders not posting ,i have been watching your tiger 60 bash for over a week now .Alot of us just hide in the weeds it's safer that way.lmao Great bash if i do say so myself .
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:50 PM
What, Me Worry?
United States, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
231 Posts
Personally, I am a lifelong builder. Been building for 40+ years. Love to build. I will take the time to research a subject and then figure out how to incorporate more scale features into a kit or a plan. But I'm not much on documenting my build. Rarely take photos, even of the finished airplanes. Documenting and posting/updating a build thread takes away too much time from the actual build, in my opinion. Though I will research threads on this forum to find build solutions or see how others incorporated certain features, I will not take the time to do a build thread. Just don't have that urge. Not one for speaking in front of a group or holding a club office either. Just not one for having any attention on me, I guess!!
edbu1 is online now Find More Posts by edbu1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:15 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Its the same as builders not posting ,i have been watching your tiger 60 bash for over a week now .Alot of us just hide in the weeds it's safer that way.lmao Great bash if i do say so myself .
I always thought the guys in the weeds were the ones looking for their plane, ha ha, couldn't resist that. Glad you like the bash

Being an old retired guy gets boring at times and or I'm waiting for glue to dry so I come to the computer for something to do and maybe some company and it usually involves our hobby. In just the past 6 yr's I have seen changes that are not benaficial to some degree to our hobby. Hashing and bashing others, smart ass replies and a host of other things some not even relevent to the questions asked or hobby in general. I also know you have seen the same things.

This hobby of ours is ment to be shared with others it's the part that keeps it going, if we all felt the way ebur1 does it wouldn't be here in this format very long. I personally like to post replies to those needing answers if and only when I have them, I never say, "I never did it before but I know this guy", he said she said and you know the rest.

If you want to keep up the intrest then make it intresting and we will all enjoy it more and hopefully others will come on board as a result. Leroy
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:15 AM
What, Me Worry?
United States, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
231 Posts
Hey Leroy, nice to meet you. I'm Ed. I just want to clarify that my not posting build threads is not because I feel any certain way. It's because I have no inclination to do so. Many people love to put themselves out front. I don't, and in fact, I am a bit uncomfortable as I write this. I am just too self-conscious, always have been. I am not a selfish person and in fact have introduced several others to this hobby and trained them to fly. Sharing this hobby with others does keep it going, but I don't agree that it is "meant to be shared with others". It is what it is...an activity that we enjoy. It's not meant to be anything in particular and those involved iwth this activity are not meant to behave in any certain way.

What did you do prior to the advent of these internet forums such as the one we are on? You probably socialized at your local club and exchanged ideas there. I've mostly been a 'lone wolf' builder and flyer because that suits my personality. This discussion board is a wonderful way for people to communicate and exchange information so much quicker than we have ever been to do as a society at any time before. I appreciate it and love it for that, but don't expect me to post a build thread. It's just not in me.
edbu1 is online now Find More Posts by edbu1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:38 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,404 Posts
Not to put too fine a point on things, gentlemen, but why exactly are you commenting here?

While I can certainly appreciate your views regarding who's here and who's too busy "out in the weeds" to post , I will add a reason I've found to get involved: I posted a build blog to keep me focused. It worked. I will do it on the next one too, be it RC, FF, or even CL.

Im also checking stuff out to see neat ideas and other's projects to be/get motivated to build. The hobby won't die as long as there is an exhange of ideas. One can also be of assistance to others. Were not talking Mother Teresa do-gooding, but one can give something back. Lone wolf's have ideas and experiences worth sharing, even it's not a build.

Me personally I miss the days when the hobby was more homogenious. That is modelers were more open to other diciplines. Today there are so many subgroups of subgroups specializing in this that and the other, I would think that any new blood might find aeromodeling so very, VERY, confusing. That any of those progress to the point of actually wanting to build is gratifying.
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:11 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit View Post
Me personally I miss the days when the hobby was more homogenious. That is modelers were more open to other diciplines. Today there are so many subgroups of subgroups specializing in this that and the other, I would think that any new blood might find aeromodeling so very, VERY, confusing. That any of those progress to the point of actually wanting to build is gratifying.
You are SO right on that point! This is exactly why I opposed the creation of a new "Balsa Builders" forum a few weeks ago. We "Real Modelers" need to get together, not splinter into little groups. The cross-pollination between electric and nitro and gasoline and balsa and composites and foam and RC and FF and CL and ultra-micro and parkflyer and giant scale is what's essential for continued growth.

BTW, that run-on sentence was intentional. So was the "continued growth" vs "bring back" attitude.

The more I see your posts, the more I see we are somewhat kindred spirits!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:56 AM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,285 Posts
I feel that the Balsa Builder's sub forum is a neat idea to help focus efforts on a side of the hobby that doesn't seem quite as prolific anymore. It's not dead, but greatly reduced in popularity compared to foam ARFs and such.

However, I think perhaps having a us form heading inside the actual builder's forum would be good. Ie, one must click on the builder's forum, and then select the balsa section at the top of that page. Having this setup would mean everyone gets exposed to the opportunity I browse ALL building threads, regardless of material or technique, but still have the opportunity to ask more focused questions about balsa building if necessary. Just a thought.

The fact remains that us balsa builders still often use foam, plastic, carbon fiber, and other materials when we build a model. Everyone benefits from the other, so I agree whole-heartedly there.
KnifeEdge51 is offline Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:21 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeEdge51 View Post
I feel that the Balsa Builder's sub forum is a neat idea to help focus efforts on a side of the hobby that doesn't seem quite as prolific anymore. It's not dead, but greatly reduced in popularity compared to foam ARFs and such.

However, I think perhaps having a us form heading inside the actual builder's forum would be good. Ie, one must click on the builder's forum, and then select the balsa section at the top of that page. Having this setup would mean everyone gets exposed to the opportunity I browse ALL building threads, regardless of material or technique, but still have the opportunity to ask more focused questions about balsa building if necessary. Just a thought.

The fact remains that us balsa builders still often use foam, plastic, carbon fiber, and other materials when we build a model. Everyone benefits from the other, so I agree whole-heartedly there.
I agree a sticky on top of the page would make sence . I also agree that building with foam and balsa like many of us do is a great learning for builders. I know I know there are some die hard balsa builders who wont touch foam but i think its their loss. joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Jan 09, 2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:53 AM
United States, CT, Enfield
Joined Nov 2000
343 Posts
I too miss the days of balsa builders being the majority.

I've built and flown RC from when I was 14 to 41 years old, took 5-6 years off to do just indoor FF, and now I'm in the middle of a Herr L-19 Bird Dog converted to 3 channel electric RC.

The assault of ARF's were one of the things that prompted me to stop RC flying. Before that the flying fields were populated with real modelers, now all it takes is a credit card and 15 minutes of your time to be an RC'er.

The only foam I've ever built with is a sailplane that had foam cores I sheeted with balsa, but I certainly won't turn my nose up to laser cutters, LiPolys, brushless motors and spread spectrum technology.
Paul is offline Find More Posts by Paul
Closed Thread