HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:11 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
808 Posts
I think watching his enthusiasm reminded me when I was a kid too. Putting together those rubberband balsa planes from Guillow's and spending hours fiddling with it to get it to fly for a few seconds.

He didn't seem fake just for the TV show either. You could tell he was having way too much fun and getting paid to boot.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
i watched this to amazing, convinced my dad to put a little more buck into my hobby. TopGear and toystories FTW
kingconsulting is online now Find More Posts by kingconsulting
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:21 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,401 Posts
Don't get me wrong I can certainly enjoy flying, but I enjoy working on models or real airframes more. I enjoyed my aircraft ownership because
I got to service the aircraft (annualed it twice) before I bought it. It was such a simple airplane, it appealed greatly to me. http://www.popularaviation.com/PhotoGallery/3646.JPG sorry if ive shown this before

Due my present circumstances, I doubt if I''ll ever own another home or buy a new car, let alone an aircraft, in my remaining years. I'm not at all sorry I traded "stuff" for my wife's bennefit, as it made me appreciate what was truly important. Besides, models let me have that feeling again. There is also the nostagia of revisiting models of my youth, which I plan to do soon with my first successfull FF glider design, circa 1960. Plans found on this site!

Flying can be boring just as soon as you view flight as a mode of travel, rather than more adventurous time spent in a wonderous machine. IMHO nothing is more fun flying than chasing crows in a J-3 Cub, over near endless alfalfa fields!!
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:38 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,064 Posts
J-3 etal

+1
I used to "travel" (primarily: Mooney M20F), but then got mixed up with a rabble of EAA characters. Our club always had "one-flying, one-in-the-shop". When we finished restoring/rebuilding the one in the shop, we would sell the "one-flying" and migrate the shop bird to the flight-line. Some odd birds, but always the low-and-slow variety.

We were trying to decide on a club name and one chap mentioned that the planes were all in the "autumns of their lives" and all of us were over 50, so also in the "autumns of our lives". A few minutes later, "Autumn Eagles" came about.

My wife, who had overheard the discussions, muttered "Christmas Turkeys is more like it". :-)

Thanks for bringing the memories to the fore on New Year's Day.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit View Post
Don't get me wrong I can certainly enjoy flying, but I enjoy working on models or real airframes more. I enjoyed my aircraft ownership because
I got to service the aircraft (annualed it twice) before I bought it. It was such a simple airplane, it appealed greatly to me. http://www.popularaviation.com/PhotoGallery/3646.JPG sorry if ive shown this before

Due my present circumstances, I doubt if I''ll ever own another home or buy a new car, let alone an aircraft, in my remaining years. I'm not at all sorry I traded "stuff" for my wife's bennefit, as it made me appreciate what was truly important. Besides, models let me have that feeling again. There is also the nostagia of revisiting models of my youth, which I plan to do soon with my first successfull FF glider design, circa 1960. Plans found on this site!

Flying can be boring just as soon as you view flight as a mode of travel, rather than more adventurous time spent in a wonderous machine. IMHO nothing is more fun flying than chasing crows in a J-3 Cub, over near endless alfalfa fields!!
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:26 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit View Post
Is that your KCA? Very nice! 50 horses was probably plenty!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:38 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,401 Posts
That WAS my KCA.The photo was taken at a dairy farm outside of Visalia CA. the guy flying was my employee at the time, Todd Monson. He had permission to fly anytime I wasn't. He is now a commercial pilot with a high speed endorsement on his ticket.

My airplane was No19 of 56 KCA's. IIRC, all were built 1938. Early ones like mine had single ignition, non stearable tailwheel and no carb heat. Mag checks were easy!. Rule of thumb with no carb heat was fly only on days when no visible moisture was in the air. High overcast seemed to be OK. Non steerable tailwheel was not a problem unless there were gusts. Sometimes one had to turn left to go right. But if it was that bad, staying in the hangar was more fun!

General rule of flying a single ignition aero engine is exactly the way it was taught thru WWII. ALWAYS keep a possible emergency landing field in sight at all times. I never had a carb ice problem but the previous owner did. He was shooting touch and goes on a crisp clear autumn evening. Scared him good!

Restoration of this aircraft was very first effort by my friend Ty Sundstom and I have his extenisve photo record of the re-build. If he allows and any are interested, I'll try to post them??? The owner of the project flew it only a few times when a trip over the Tehachepes scared him. So he dismantled it and stored itin a barn. years later another friend , Ken Stake was looking for an airplane. Ty told him about this one just sitting. Ken brought it home and he began cleaning the bat guano off the fabric. Engine checked out fine. fabric got polished . Ty annualed it and it was back in the air! Ken flew it three years then I bought it in 2004. sold it 2007 to WAAM in Hood River OR. ASAIK, still flying in Ty's original Stits covering, bats-it stains and all. There it is, "barn story " and all.

addendum: Let's just say 50hp was usually enough! I remember flying North (into prevailing wind) along HWy 99 toward Fresno and cars below were going faster than I was! Cruise was at 90. 119 top speed. Red-lined "Never exceed" airspeed was 135, because of the flimsy 1938 windsheild material.
Last edited by packardpursuit; Jan 01, 2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: addendum
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:15 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,893 Posts
Thanks for the barn story! You had a pretty plane, but I think you made the right choice.

I had a friend whose wife had Alzheimers. She stayed at home with him until it was physically too much for him and the hospice people to handle, then she spent every day with her at the nursing home feeding, dress, etc. until the day she passed. He was one of the most caring, gentle men I ever met. Willard was one of those "unsung heroes" that I hope I can be as good as when my time comes.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:00 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Thats some story, pakard! I'm thinking of purchasing a similar plane as a 'downgrade' for my beloved Gardan... its a 3/4 size J3 Cub with a half-VW 2cyl engine and one seat for pilot only. They were sold under the name 'Preceptor N3 Pup'. Nowhere near the KCA (yours looks great in that photo!) but it'll get me airbourne and thats enough.

Andy, touching story. My Grandmother passed from Alzheimers when I was still a kid and it was very sad for the family. I've always thought that caring for a family member is one of the most decent and loving things you can do, thanks again guys for sharing.

- boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,401 Posts
I always thought an Aeronca C-2, built from scratch with a 40 hp VW or even the more modern Rotax 90hp would make a very economical and practical flying machine. Although built for one person, C-2's were routinly flown with two and sometimes three on board(pilot and pasengers stradled a fore/aft bench seat). Aeronca C-3 put two side by side, with no change in power or basic design. Very simple design, easily handled by the homebuilder. Compared to more exotic and modern ultral light designs, I think there's a lot to reccommend it.

I've noted in my catch up read of this thread, an apparent status/importance givenf kits and kit avaiability, as in "nobody is building them anymore," etc. I built most of my kits back in the 60's. As I was operating on a pretty meager allowance, I soon learned the bennefits of building one's own models from hobby shop materials. IIRC, the outlay was less than half the cost of a comparable kit. Quite often the savings were more. I recently looked at some Brodak kits for some of the $3.95 Sterling kits of my youth. Same kit now is 85.00. Inflation? Yea no doubt. But a quick scan of advertized prices of balsa seems to indicate a bigger cost difference today, again slanted toward comparable economic favor of scratch builder. It wasn't somethng that was highly promoted even back in the day, but a lot of guys were doing it then. I think a lot are doing it today. There even seems to be a lot of interest bashing an old CL plan into a modern RC electrc etc. The do it yourselfers are still out there. I think we e need to encourage them every chance we get.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:05 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,050 Posts
I used to have an Evans Veep ... VW engine.

Pretty sad combination, to be honest.

I can't imagine how gutless a half-VW might be.
bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:46 PM
Hex Heads, Hex Heads!!!
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
225 Posts
I'm 13, and love this hobby. I'm currently designing, and planning to build an 80'' electric sea plane that has FPV capabilities. There are many more kids like me out there, we just have to outreach to them. True, watching someone fly at the local field one day inspired me, and many other kids, but sometimes, it takes a little extra effort from the one who tried to inspire those kids. Kids who would actually want to fly RC would eventually build. Trust me.

-rt

PS: I'm looking for a scratch builder who can possibly help me with the designing/building of the plane I designed above. It's my first scratch build, and would also be my first balsa model. PM me.
rtbreeder is offline Find More Posts by rtbreeder
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:58 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,401 Posts
I would think that anyone 13 yrs or older, capable of building a couple of kits similar to the type desired to be scracthbult should be in a good position to leap out on their own. However, GIANT STEPS taken when inexperienced can lead to trouble. Too much too fast.

what kind of model are you thinking of? We know it's a seaplane (floats or flying boat type?) Not sure what FPV stands for. I'm an old geezer and not up on all the latest abbreviations, LOL.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:02 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
True.. that is a bit large and the size is not needed for FPV. However there are tons of pre-existing (tried and true) plans of seaplanes out there. If it were me... I would order one I liked and upsize to a "reasonable size".

As this is 1) your first balsa model and 2) first scratch build, you will have enough to worry about. You could start with a kit for less $$ than a scratch and you'll have something you know will fly and fly well. Once that is under your belt I would suggest a plans or scratch build. Cutting balsa requires simple things such as grain direction and just as important the direction of your cut and other things you may not be aware of but you also may be. Just pointing some things out so you'll be successful on your first attempt.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:02 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,358 Posts
Iam not far from you rtbreeder if you ever need a hand just pm me . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:56 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Half vw might be a bit light on power, but remember that a Champ or Cub is only flying on 50 or 65hp!

This is a craft designed around the half vw, the one I was talking about above... the Preceptor N3 Pup:

N-3 Pup: A Flight Around the Patch (4 min 0 sec)

These things apparently cruise along at about 60~65mph and climb at around 300ft/min. Not a rocketship but definitely something that will get you airborne. I've seen some with internal wing tanks fitted for a 5 hour endurance, too, and apparently you can fit a full VW to them for more power. That'd be a hoot I reckon, just fit some tundra tyres and you'd be in the STOL game!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:06 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
679 Posts
Lets see,?. Going back to 2009 and now 2013 the question is still ,"how we going to bring modeling back", I may have found an answer and a chance for someone to make some money. We have the ARF's and RTF's already, all they need is a I-phone that will fly them that will start a whole new fad for all the dimwits that want there phone to do more. "Just an idea, suppose it would fly,?

Hummmm, may just work.Leroy

On the other hand, if they had to build the plane to fly with their phone, it would never work as they would never put the phone down long enough to even open the kit box. Pretty sad but true.
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Last edited by Leroy Gardner; Jan 07, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
Closed Thread