HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:02 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
You're an australian, though...

... that matters somehow, but it does. I notice lots of australians in build threads while americans in ARF threads, or is that just my perception?
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:13 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,049 Posts
Not sure - but I think you're on to something.

As I was saying before, most of the people I fly with do all sorts of building. There's probably a lot out there who don't, but heaps do in my circles...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:55 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
849 Posts
In the one hobby shop I've been to there are kits but slightly more arfs. He works from a four car garage and has stuff you probably can't even buy on eBay. I think the part of more build threads being australian maybe because of our (generalising) fix it attitude. I seem to see a majority of Americans see everything as disposables. I am just generalising a lot here.
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:58 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrub monkey View Post
In the one hobby shop I've been to there are kits but slightly more arfs. He works from a four car garage and has stuff you probably can't even buy on eBay. I think the part of more build threads being australian maybe because of our (generalising) fix it attitude. I seem to see a majority of Americans see everything as disposables. I am just generalising a lot here.
Not to mention imputing false stereotypes to us-God, I love to build Trittle designs.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:22 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,049 Posts
Cut him a bit of slack mate - he's only a young-un.

He's only putting forward his perception of things - that things are a lot more disposable in some places.

For example, you guys in the US get some really fantastic things at bargain prices (I'd love to have a Harbor Freight down here ).

Dunno what it's like over your way, but shipping usually costs us a fair penny down here - sometimes nearly as much as what you're buying in the first place. That makes ppl like me tend to want to fix something rather than bin it straight away (unless it's a total bean-bag job/write-off like some of my latest bingles have produced )

And to fix something, you need a few building skills

Some folk love to do really complicated jigsaw puzzles, others like more simple ones. And some ppl can't stand them at all.

I guess it's a bit the same when it comes to building all things RC. Each to their own...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:45 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,407 Posts
Sure, take all the license you want as you are young....

Here is a fact: in this country, people are forced to work their guts out, and until they retire don't usually have the time or inclination to "fix things up."

Good, bad, whatever, those are the facts.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:14 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Not to mention imputing false stereotypes to us.
I learned a long time ago that most stereotypes have a basis in fact.

Quote:
I'd love to have a Harbor Freight down here.
You can have ours.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:16 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I learned a long time ago that most stereotypes have a basis in fact.

You can have ours.

Andy
O.K., what is the factual basis, here?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:07 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,295 Posts
Sorry, Jonathan, they'll send us to the basement for answering that

Fact is, building is alive and well - it's just that the materials are evolving. Those who have their heads in the sand (or shoved elsewhere) can't see that, so they assume it's dying. If they'd get out and visit other forums, or go to an event like JR Indoor, they'd see a huge number of custom models.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:16 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,407 Posts
Basement or not, there are lots of "self-contained" folks who hold notions that "don't fly."
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
He is right about us working hard ,i had 2 jobs at one time and i had my own limo company i was getting off the ground for myself . Even tho i had all this going on i still found a hour here or there to build my planes just to relax for a bit. There are alot of oldtime builder's who dont even own a computer or go online ,i know of 5 around here that build but no posting. As far as hobby shops stocking stuff i buy my balsa from lone star in bulk .My local hobby shop stocks most of the small parts i need , or i can order online through them so they pay the shipping. So what iam trying to say like others here ,there are alot of builders out there and i dont think we will be buying any arfs soon. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:54 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,643 Posts
Whether or not your own experience suggests that building is dying wherever you're from, I think the neat thing is that the Internet and online suppliers have made it a heck of a lot easier for us builders to find like-minded folk and the materials we need to keep on building. I'm really fortunate to have an incredibly well-stocked LHS in my town, and I make a point of buying whatever I need from them if they have it, even if it means paying more than I would online. For anyone else, the online suppliers and the help, advice and commiseration available here on RCGroups is far and away better than any local encouragement I had as a young lad interested in building flying models back in the '70s. Maybe the key is for us to make resources like RCGroups as accessible as possible to the younger generation who stumble onto us after being introduced to the hobby by buying, flying and crashing ARFs.

That would mean us not getting all insulted when the young folks make innocent (if ignorant) remarks about all manner of stuff, like balsa wood, or Titebond glue, or national stereotypes....

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:57 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,407 Posts
I heard the dime drop, so....
(I can smell Fortunato's rank breath....)
Well, I guess that's what I get for generalizing....
Last edited by JohnathanSwift; Nov 14, 2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:08 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,643 Posts
Geez, Jon, if you're going to go through life with a thin skin, folks are bound to get under it...

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:14 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,407 Posts
Uh, how can you possibly know anything about my character while sitting at a computer in Ontario?

I heard the dime drop, so....

Is this a "thin skin?" Well, right or wrong, I feel I've been provoked on more than one occasion.

I'm very proud of my country and if you want to define that as "thin skinned," so be it.

Now, if you really knew me, you'd realize that very few things bother me, and I'm usually a bit of a joker. But, then, that would require one to recognize irony. (Example: "I resemble that remark!")

Hey, here's a novel idea: the "young un" could simply apologize, or even try something lukewarm like, "Gee, I didn't mean anything negative...what are you building these days?"
Last edited by JohnathanSwift; Nov 14, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Closed Thread