HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:03 AM
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Oct 2012
32 Posts
Lets get back on topic

So I'll admit, I skipped around in this thread a pretty good bit. It seems like some people are concerned that model building is on its way out because of computers. When I was a kid I was really big into building model cars, ships, but most of all rockets with my dad, we started out using kits and building single engine tiny rockets. Around the time I was 10 we built a scale model multi engine Saturn 5 replica. After that I got into computers and didn't build anything but Japanese anime models. By the time I was 14 I pretty much lived at my computer/xbox.

Around the time I turned 20 I started getting into cars and motorcycles pretty heavily. I started to build out engines and do all my own work. Over the past year I started missing the model building with my dad, but I don't have a place to launch rockets nearby and I wanted to try something new. I kicked around a few ideas including RC cars/boats, but planes just hadn't occurred to me. A few months ago I saw a video that really "clicked" for me, it was a scale SR-71 with twin turbines.

I wasn't sure where to start so I just started googling and asking questions on the boards I frequent. I was finally pointed here and I've been doing research ever since. I just dropped some cash on a Turnigy 9x to do a frsky and er9x conversion. I also grabbed a AXN floater jet. This is a thread about building though not plugging in a transmitter! I figured I would rather crash a cheap foam plane since I'm just getting started than a kit I put blood sweat and tears into.

I've spent the past week cleaning and organizing my shop. I have several kits on order and I'm planning to start with the smaller kits and work my way up. I want to get in to scratch building eventually, but I have to start somewhere! My eventual goal is to scratch build a large scale A10 with a working cannon and FPV capabilities.

I'm 25 now and I really wish I'd have gotten into this instead of Halo. It's not all bad though! I met my wife through an online game I helped write and she's the one that encouraged me to go after this. I'm really looking forward to this. My shop hasn't been this clean since I got it and I'm psyched.
PoniesatemyBagel is offline Find More Posts by PoniesatemyBagel
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:19 AM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Look for Frank's thread on American retailers and you will find many kit sellers.

Right now I'm "hooked" on Pat Trittle's designs, and have a Luscumbe in progress, but there are many, many more, like Aerodromerc-I have a D VII and Sopwith Triplane, and both fly extremely well.

I have some foam, too, but nothing beats the smell of CA and accelerator in the morning!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:57 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
PonieseatmyBagel, I think your started down the right path, Although when I built my first R/C airplane in 1969 the only game in town was building in balsa and covering with silkspan and dope (Monokote was avaliable; but, having built rubber free flight, tissue or silkspan and dope was what I understood). Still, this showed me how much I really enjoyed building, so that is where I'm at. Welcome to the hobby! If you have questions, please don't hesitate to call on me!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:05 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberZogster View Post
I think the new forum could help answer "how do we bring model building back?" Or it may show that it isn't as dead as you think. Most of the people I fly with still build.
...something I said yonks ago.

You don't need to "bring model building back".

It's here, and it's staying.

Heaps of people down here build - be it kits, off-plan, or total scratch build. Foam. Balsa. Composite.

What I see happening in this thread is people trying to define their idea of what 'model building' is all about.

Then the inevitable happens - who is more of a 'builder' than someone else.

If we could all just agree to disagree on certain points and stop this incestuous biggest-dick competition, maybe - just maybe - ya'lls wouldn't keep pissing people off and puting a bad taste in their mouth before they've even gotten off the ground.

A lot of folk are enthusiastic enough to give it a crack - the last thing they need to see is old farts bickering and arguing about what constitutes "real" model building and what doesn't.

AFAIK, if you cut a single strip of balsa, foam, or unobtanium, you're building something.

How do we bring model building back?

It's never gone away. And it won't. Ever.

What you should be asking yourselves is "how to we pass on what we know to those interested in learning?"

And there are plenty.

The last thing they want to be involved in is some bullsh'it bunfight over who's right and who's wrong.

No-one's ever totally right, and no-one's ever totally wrong.

We learn from trial and error, and the guidance of those who have been there before us. Cutting it 3 times and it's still too short we've all done.

The challenge here is to step up to the plate and offer your advice. Accept that people do the same thing different ways. No be all and end all - it's just the way they know how to do a certain task.

It doesn't make it any better or worse than the next bloke's method. If it's worked for you in the past, then it still works now.

If someone does it differently, then so be it. If the end result works either way, then great. There's always a trade-off somewhere along the line anyway.

Share your experience and wisdom - not your prowess for arguing. Lord knows the Internet is full of people who are good at that (or so they think).

You catch a lot more flys with honey than you do with vinegar...

\sermon

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:11 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Great post BJ and i think the same way as you do. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:11 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,218 Posts
AMEN! Every time this thread pops up I just want to scream exactly what you said (the same as I said several times here too).

We need to get builders (ie, people who would like to build something + people who have built something) together, not segregate them according to building materials or types of model (I'm including trains and boats there ...) or power plants.

I have an idea - why don't we invent a local establishment where people interested in the hobbies can gather. Then, we put some examples of well-executed models on the walls or in glass cases or hang from the ceiling. Maybe we put some materials there so people can get what they need. You know, if we charge for the materials that will help keep the lights and heat on. Then we put some grumpy old guy behind the counter to tell everybody they're wrong ...

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,377 Posts
Thx Joe and LoL@Andy.

What is it with 'grumpy old men' anyways?

We call them "white hats" down here. Always at the field. Wear a while towelling hat. Hardly ever actually fly. Just sit there in their deck-chairs and tell eveyone else what they're doing wrong. Be it according to the written rules (half of which they make up on the spot), or the physical side of flying.

Then they finally fly something, and promptly crash. LoL

Ok...ok.. I generalise. But I'm sure many of us can identify with that scenario.

Hells bells fellas - fess-up, shake hands, and move on. There's hundreds of man-years of blood sweat and tears of experience in this thread.

For newbies just starting to get into it, or for relatively old farts like me who just want to learn how to do something I haven't been able to figure out for myself, your knowledge and experience is priceless.

None of us is going to be here forever - it's time to start passing the baton on

BJ
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:28 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,376 Posts
Just make sure it's a scratch built baton.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:24 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
We have an old timer at our field and we call him All Timer because he is there all the time. He will yell at you because your not flying off the runway but then he flys everywhere but. He has crashed the most of anybody I've seen there (including me ).

Not everybody is like that and actually have had some nice conversations with some guys who don't even fly much. Got a lot of tips and they are happy to share with you.

Unfortunately the few that come off that way scare away any new blood. I actually hardly fly there anymore because I found a better field further away. Most everybody is the opposite and actually say hello to you.

I think we have all seen what BJ is talking about. The same attitude goes in building also.

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:06 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Thx Joe and LoL@Andy.

What is it with 'grumpy old men' anyways?

We call them "white hats" down here. Always at the field. Wear a while towelling hat. Hardly ever actually fly. Just sit there in their deck-chairs and tell eveyone else what they're doing wrong. Be it according to the written rules (half of which they make up on the spot), or the physical side of flying.

Then they finally fly something, and promptly crash. LoL

Ok...ok.. I generalise. But I'm sure many of us can identify with that scenario.

Hells bells fellas - fess-up, shake hands, and move on. There's hundreds of man-years of blood sweat and tears of experience in this thread.

For newbies just starting to get into it, or for relatively old farts like me who just want to learn how to do something I haven't been able to figure out for myself, your knowledge and experience is priceless.

None of us is going to be here forever - it's time to start passing the baton on

BJ
Ha HA BJ iam a old hat but iam ready to pass the baton on and let me enjoy the little time i have left. . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
Just make sure it's a scratch built baton.
Stuart
Good one

And yah KingCon - the unfortunate thing about the 'do as I say, not as I do' brigade is that it only takes one of them to put a lot of people off.

Having said that, the general RC community are a great bunch of guys by and large. Many of them enjoy chewing the fat and sharing knowledge and experience - both online, and at the fields.

It's a pity that there's usually always one stinker who enjoys busting everyone else's balloons

Would be great if someone could invent a 'gag gun' to silence these party poopers. Then again, they'd probably use it on me

And I'm not exactly what you'd call young either, C'meup

Anyways, the way to turn this thing around is to remain positive and keep pushing the good things IMHO. Ignore the Johnny Rotten's - which ain't so easy to do when they start flaming people. Then again, the odd bit of argy bargy can be entertaining, so long as it doesn't degrade into a personal mud-slinging match.

To those RC Brothers who have shared a wealth of knowledge so far, I say thankyou.

I wouldn't have gotten this far and had so much enjoyment without your help.

And I've still got a loooooong way to go, so expect the barrage of stupid questions to continue LoL.

Now... I have some balsa sheeted foam-cored wings to finish

BJ
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:14 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
...something I said yonks ago.

You don't need to "bring model building back".

It's here, and it's staying.

Heaps of people down here build - be it kits, off-plan, or total scratch build. Foam. Balsa. Composite.

What I see happening in this thread is people trying to define their idea of what 'model building' is all about.

Then the inevitable happens - who is more of a 'builder' than someone else.

If we could all just agree to disagree on certain points and stop this incestuous biggest-dick competition, maybe - just maybe - ya'lls wouldn't keep pissing people off and puting a bad taste in their mouth before they've even gotten off the ground.

A lot of folk are enthusiastic enough to give it a crack - the last thing they need to see is old farts bickering and arguing about what constitutes "real" model building and what doesn't.

AFAIK, if you cut a single strip of balsa, foam, or unobtanium, you're building something.

How do we bring model building back?

It's never gone away. And it won't. Ever.

What you should be asking yourselves is "how to we pass on what we know to those interested in learning?"

And there are plenty.

The last thing they want to be involved in is some bullsh'it bunfight over who's right and who's wrong.

No-one's ever totally right, and no-one's ever totally wrong.

We learn from trial and error, and the guidance of those who have been there before us. Cutting it 3 times and it's still too short we've all done.

The challenge here is to step up to the plate and offer your advice. Accept that people do the same thing different ways. No be all and end all - it's just the way they know how to do a certain task.

It doesn't make it any better or worse than the next bloke's method. If it's worked for you in the past, then it still works now.

If someone does it differently, then so be it. If the end result works either way, then great. There's always a trade-off somewhere along the line anyway.

Share your experience and wisdom - not your prowess for arguing. Lord knows the Internet is full of people who are good at that (or so they think).

You catch a lot more flys with honey than you do with vinegar...

\sermon

BJ

You struck the nail squarely on the head.

"What you should be asking yourselves is "how to we pass on what we know to those interested in learning?"

The "new" balsa builders forum is a start. While if focuses on "wood" aircraft, many of the tips, tricks and ideas will work across the board for any material.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:09 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
Sadly enough I don't think there are as many building as we want to make ourselves believe. If there were so many builders why is it the hobby shops don't stock kits like they used to and whenever someone has the opportunity to talk to the manufacturers (SIG, GREAT PLANES, Etc...) at trade shows etc.. the only comment one gets is that the market doesn't support kits, they don't sell, and the population wants ARFS!!!!
Heck even most LHShops don't even keep decent stock on building supplies. Same reason, the market wants ARFS and hardly anyone builds.
It is hard for me to believe as well but, I have personally spoke to my LHShop owner and got the story and numbers.
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:15 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
I could amost agree with you... but this is a 164-page-long thread with a title that inherently admits that model building isn't popular .

I was at Sears' today, buying a lawnmower. The sales clerk kept emphasizing religiously how the "Setup is as simple as sliding it out of the box and unfolding the pre-attached handle. Gas and oil it up and you're good to go". I think the global market is shifting that way, not just in RC.

I had a conversation a few days ago. The guy says that he would build more often if he wasn't afraid of screwing it up. Not as much afraid of ruining the model, but not necessarily able to afford a new kit/new pieces if he does screw it up somehow. The power of the ARF is formidable.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,377 Posts
Strange...

Roughly 2/3 of the 40-50 ppl or so that I know through flying have built at least something.

Some are more prolific than others, and continue to build - a fair few from scratch/plans. And most have had to assemble at least one 'ARF Kit'.

And quite a few of the Slope/DS guys design and build their own stuff (mouldies etc.) or improve on and existing unit.

While the Hobby Shops don't stock a lot these days (usually enough balsa to get you by), we have a couple of great stores that also sell via the 'Net. Sometimes, a few fliers will get together and buy supplies in a bulk lot, then divvy it up to save on shipping etc.

So, from my point of view, there's still a fair bit of 'building' going on out there...

BJ
Closed Thread