Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:11 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
And, the difference between a tribe of pygmy women and a women's track team?
Lmao
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:11 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I was looking for simple scratch build electric balsa planes on RCG some time ago, but it seems all the popular builds are all Depron or similar. Which I have built more than a few of.

I would be appreciative of a stick build forum.

We have:
Scratchbuilt EDFs
Scratchbuilt Multirotors
Foamies (Scratchbuilt)

Why not add a Balsa (Scratchbuilt)? It seems more intuitive than 'The Builders Workshop'. If it is not popular, like electric combat, maybe it would be deleted. If more people see this directly under Foamies (Scratchbuilt), it would get people to start using balsa as an alternative material. I am not sure of the angst. I haven't visited here much though.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:15 AM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
If you've been following this forum at all, you would've realized that there is a new subforum being worked on dedicated to balsa scratchbuilding... and as far as I know, it should be up soon.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:19 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
I was looking for simple scratch build electric balsa planes on RCG some time ago, but it seems all the popular builds are all Depron or similar. Which I have built more than a few of.

I would be appreciative of a stick build forum.

We have:
Scratchbuilt EDFs
Scratchbuilt Multirotors
Foamies (Scratchbuilt)

Why not add a Balsa (Scratchbuilt)? It seems more intuitive than 'The Builders Workshop'. If it is not popular, like electric combat, maybe it would be deleted. If more people see this directly under Foamies (Scratchbuilt), it would get people to start using balsa as an alternative material. I am not sure of the angst. I haven't visited here much though.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the same way. We got one recently approved. Have a look here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1744238&page=4

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:19 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
If you've been following this forum at all...
Sorry!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:25 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,843 Posts
Don't sweat it. There has been some pretty nasty personal attacks as of late about this topic and a few have rubbed some feathers the wrong way. But I think that drama is all over now and we are going to get a new forum just like you were asking about which will be dedicated to building airplanes from kits, plans, etc. This is is the first ever for RCG so it is pretty exciting times.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:35 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Don't sweat it. There has been some pretty nasty personal attacks as of late about this topic and a few have rubbed some feathers the wrong way. But I think that drama is all over now and we are going to get a new forum just like you were asking about which will be dedicated to building airplanes from kits, plans, etc. This is is the first ever for RCG so it is pretty exciting times.

Frank
Hey, I know how to build a bit, but would like some insight on balsa. I mean, the group for scratch build balsa is positively miniscule.

I would like to use microlite or Ultracote and balsa in a simple interesting project or two this winter. If I saw a cool simple 100W .pdf plan in the new forum, I'd build it. I like building with balsa, and prefer it over depron, but I've built the Dart, and EZBox 2, and we don't have a nice list with projects people want to share, as far as I know. I mainly stay on RCG.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:23 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,504 Posts
Quote:

Frank
Yes, there have, and they have been pretty much one way.

The assertion that the new forum is the first ever for RCG for building model aeroplanes from kits, plans etc is quite clearly utterly false, which a cursory glance at the title of this very forum demonstrates.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:26 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
Hey, I know how to build a bit, but would like some insight on balsa. I mean, the group for scratch build balsa is positively miniscule.
Check out the Scale electric forum. It is absolutely chock-a-block with scratch and plan (and kit) builds of electric powered scale models.

Quote:
I would like to use microlite or Ultracote and balsa in a simple interesting project or two this winter. If I saw a cool simple 100W .pdf plan in the new forum, I'd build it. I like building with balsa, and prefer it over depron, but I've built the Dart, and EZBox 2, and we don't have a nice list with projects people want to share, as far as I know. I mainly stay on RCG.
There are lots of such models in the Sports Planes forum, as well as in the Scale forum, 3D forum etc etc etc.

Not ti mention the dozens of balsa kit builds already in this very forum - The Builder's Workshop.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:46 AM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
I think the new forum could help answer "how do we bring model building back?" Or it may show that it isn't as dead as you think. Most of the people I fly with still build.
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Last edited by UberZogster; Oct 14, 2012 at 05:01 AM. Reason: original post didn't belong here
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:54 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,226 Posts
One of the first presentations will be the history of Balsa.What it is,what it does,how to work with it,etc.

Participants will be encouraged to offer experiences and knowledge in an informal discussion.

There are a lot of interesting bits,to help us build better and easier.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Yes, there have, and they have been pretty much one way.

The assertion that the new forum is the first ever for RCG for building model aeroplanes from kits, plans etc is quite clearly utterly false, which a cursory glance at the title of this very forum demonstrates.
Sorry lecy, not interested. Please just leave me alone.

Thanks,

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
One of the first presentations will be the history of Balsa.What it is,what it does,how to work with it,etc.

Participants will be encouraged to offer experiences and knowledge in an informal discussion.

There are a lot of interesting bits,to help us build better and easier.
That's a great idea Earl! Nothing wrong with a little history about balsa and the different classes of the material.

I like it!

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,311 Posts
Quote:
That's a great idea Earl! Nothing wrong with a little history about balsa and the different classes of the material.

I like it!

Frank
Plus + 1 on that
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:12 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,504 Posts
Quote:
Sorry lecy, not interested. Please just leave me alone.

Thanks,

Frank
Sorry, but when revisionist history is presented, then one ought to expect that it is challenged. This is one of those cases. I am replying to the points being made in your posts and have made no comment whatsoever about you.
Closed Thread