HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:52 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
I reflect a lot on the fact that there is just so much involved in building a plane that I could simply never follow through when I was a youngster. I really respect kids who have the patience and planning an attention span and "stick-to-itness" to build a flying RC plane out of balsa or even foam. I think things are a bit easier now, but sometimes when I look at the balsa kits in my awesome LHS, I remember how I just never ever could have accomplished building one as a kid cause I didn't have the patience experience money or guidance necessary. I am so happy I never gave up on my dreams and now am a semi accomplished builder and flyer with many more planned
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:12 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,590 Posts
Rolling cane hoops with the aid of a stick was a fun thing for kids at one period of time. Model building will go thru the same evolutionary process I suppose. The key is what Seegeyegod states in that he 'never gave up on his dreams' about the hobby. Kids just aren't interested in this stuff as they were when Charles Augustus Lindbergh first crossed the Atlantic. That was probably the height of 'airmindedness' the world over. The interest will wax and wane but the reality is that this hobby is declining from a kit building/ scratch building point of view as far as I can tell in my myopic world view. I certainly don't have statistics to support my view!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:42 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,392 Posts
The "airmindedness" of the 30's reaped great dividends in the 40's during WW2, during the 50's in jet development, the 60's for the space race, and the 70's with airliner improvements.

What dividends can we expect in the future from the ARFers and video gamers ...

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:14 PM
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Mar 2009
249 Posts

Andy

We are already seeing a decline in skilled trades people to build, wire and plumb the structures required to accommodate the ARFers and Video Gamers.
Our lack of trades people has flooded our environment with expired shipping containers that are being converted into dwellings, next we will be assembling partition walls and furniture in them with used ARF boxes.

Brian T.
GBRellic is offline Find More Posts by GBRellic
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:16 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRellic View Post

Andy

We are already seeing a decline in skilled trades people to build, wire and plumb the structures required to accommodate the ARFers and Video Gamers.
Our lack of trades people has flooded our environment with expired shipping containers that are being converted into dwellings, next we will be assembling partition walls and furniture in them with used ARF boxes.

Brian T.
Now a house made out of model boxes. I wouldnt mind that only thing would be wishing i had built (my bad it should be assemballed) and flown them all
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:26 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,392 Posts
Quote:
My part to help rectify it: My oldest son worked 2 summers for his uncle, a carpenter along with his brothers, father and uncle.

My next two sons worked at the local True Value for a few years. The older has been working for his college doing remodeling, maintenance, etc.

Now if I could only get all three boys here for a week this summer to help me do some fixing around my own house ...

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:50 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:

Andy

Brian T.
The decline in skilled trades people stems from the fact that their skills are no longer needed and companies that used to need them certainly aren't willing to pay them what their worth to keep them on. A demonstration of this fact is myself, a twenty five year tool and die maker that at one time made close to $40.00 per hour working on machine tools with hand wheels and who now pushes the green button on CNC machines making a little over $15.00 per hour! This is typical of what is occurring across the board with skilled labor.

However, I still enjoy using my skills as a modeler and love to build my models. Little in life is more satisfying than seeing something I've built take to the air for the first time! My enjoyment in this aspect of this hobby and the other hobbies I enjoy is why I keep attempting to promote the building part of this hobby. Am I (are we) being successful? I doubt it; but, I have to try, as I just can't believe that so much enjoyment could/will simply "Go by the boards"!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:28 PM
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Mar 2009
249 Posts
Like Andy just stated happened in my family too. If my brother and myself wanted a boat, go kart, dirt bike or any other young boy stuff Dad would help us acquire something in need of a rebuild or restoration to be safe for use. He would help us to achieve a working project. Even our first car's were purchased by him for us as used and needing repairs that we had to do ourselves and get passed a safety inspection. Than we had to earn the insurance money ourselves. Gimmees were not an option in our family.
I think parental guidance and help has a lot to do with giving a youngster the desire to be involved with hands on projects.

Brian T.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:19 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,392 Posts
My Dad used to say (still does), "If they want it bad enough, they'll work for it." My first car was a my sister's 72 Pinto that I maintained for her. It needed some work (and tires!) before I could get it on the road when I got my license. Working on something makes you appreciate it more - kind of like building vs. ARFing.

We need more guys like him running this country.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:46 PM
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Mar 2009
249 Posts
My Dad bought Me a 1952 Morris Minor in 1964. That gave Me one year to get it road worthy before I turned 16 in 1965.

I had it running around the block when he was out of town well before
. Had more fun than I should have, but I wont tell.

Brian T.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:31 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
I bought a Chrysler Valiant at 15, got it roadworthy for my learners licence at 16 and drove it to shool on my provisional at 17. Still have it, just got the front suspension rebuilt and shes driving nicely.

Other farkles include increasingly better ignition kits, performance plugs with inductive wires and an original factory tuned-length exhaust manifold - all fitted by me at some point between last year of highschool and the end of university.

I'd highly encourage anyone with kids (or any kids reading this) to think twice about buying a shiny new loan-purchased car... just get one you can afford and that 'turns you on'. Every time I look at my Valiant - even just over the shoulder on the way into the supermarket - I think how much I love it!

- boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,210 Posts
I was given a 97 Mustang GT as a Graduation Gift 9 months before graduation. Along with the car keys came a very thick card. I was very perplexed as why a Card would be so thick.

When I opened the card, A very large booklet fell out. I picked up the book with a puzzled look, and then read the car "happy graduation gift, make the payments and you'll get to keep it".

The large booklet was the payment stub booklet from the bank. I appreciated that car more than anything I had ever had at that point b/c I was the one responsible for paying for it and maintaining it.

It sickens me when I see 16 year old kids driving around in brand new BMW's, mercedes, Toyota's, or any other vehicle. If parents would make their kids work harder for what they want, then the whole populous would be better off.
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:40 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,392 Posts
Hey, they're entitled to it!

<COUGH> <HACK>

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:50 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,387 Posts
I miss most of my old cars starting with a 47 jeepster i put a 283 chevey in ,then a dodge dart with 3 on the tree and a six cylinder motor,ugly yellow but it was a great car. I fixed up a guys barn in trade of a 73 lotas he had road raced .About five 65 and 66 chevys super sports or ss and the one i miss the most was a 62 ss impala with a hurst 4 speed i built the motor myself with a little cam ,big carb and headers . I was building motorcycles and built a 54 panhead harley that i owned for 25 years till i sold it and bought a bike that i dont have to kick start . All the cars bikes and other toys were bought and traded for from money i made by farming startng at the age of 10 when i first learned how to keep the tractor straight while planting rows of corm or beans. lol I gave each one of my kids their first car and they were old caddys i had restored but they all knew i would only give them one and they had to work for the next car or bike . I miss them all but i did buy a 46 chevy pick up for my last street rod a month ago and got a nice bike still. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:57 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Remember (early 90's) us pulling up in the family car - an ageing Chrysler Valiant wagon - and the young neighbours next to us pulling in as well in their brand new 4WD. The wife said:

"Oh, are you still driving that old thing?"

To which my mother quipped:

"Yes, but we actually own ours."

SNAP!

- boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Closed Thread