Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:39 AM
It Flys Me
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Jun 2012
76 Posts
[QUOTE=boingk;22718921]aldalo - Try searching for 'Old Timer Plans List' and you should pick up quite a few very nice plans!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+thread&page=5

There we go mate, found it.

Pick something with a constand chord (non-tapering) wing and a bit of dihedral in a high-mounted wing for your trainer.

Cheers - boingk

EDIT:

This looks promising: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...9&d=1339765852

Thanks boingk
How do I print these plans for Basic Trainer ?
aldalo is offline Find More Posts by aldalo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:54 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,124 Posts
Take PDF to Staples or Kinkos. It'll only be a couple bucks.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:45 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
You can also set your printing options to 'tile (poster)' printing mode. THis will give full size printing over several pages that you then tape or glue together to give a single sheet.

I use that method a lot with my cheap A4 size printer to give larger sized plans.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
USA, MI, clarllake
Joined Mar 2006
12 Posts
Model Building for the Future--What I've Done

This is what I try to do. Mentor your grandkids, kids in your neighborhood and put your planes in the local mall shows. If you have friends that have kids, grandkids, take them to the local RC flying fields, pancake fly-in breakfests at local airports sponsored by the EAA chapters--a great place to take kids and friends (you have to get 'em up early). Air Shows--we have a great one here in Mid Michigan--Thunder Over Michigan at Willow Run where Ford Motor Company made the B24 Liberators.
Some things I've done for myself is bought kits off the internet, yard sales, Craigs List and club members. Yes, I now have enough kits to last me the rest of my life. Now we switch to plans. I have lots of plans big, small, you name it. In fact, I just bought a set from a guy here on RCGroups, Brian Taylor's 83" Spitfire. With plans, you can have them made into "short kits". Lots of companies out there are offering short kits which are ribs, bulkheads, etc. Most of the intricate hard-to-reproduce parts can now be laser cut--another option.
Just get out and fly as much as you can. Be visible, talk to people, be (friendly). What I've found is that when my wife and I travel, I like to stop at flying fields in other areas. I find there are usually a couple of club members who are friendly but most are not. Visitors and spectators need to feel welcome. If you can get just one young person interested, that would be a good thing. If all of us as a group could get one person each, that would be a lot of new blood into the hobby. There's no time like the present to attract new flyers into our sport before it becomes extinct.
grum-man is offline Find More Posts by grum-man
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:15 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,993 Posts
the other option is to steal their wallets when they're picking up pieces of their ARF's

Then it's a win-win situation; we have money to guy buy more wood and covering, and they are forced to learn to build and repair airplanes! Perfect
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:31 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,124 Posts
I have a friend who has gone dumpster diving and resurrected ARFs back from the dead, only to fly them with the guys who tossed them out as "unfixable." That HAS to be pretty satisfying!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:06 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I have a friend who has gone dumpster diving and resurrected ARFs back from the dead, only to fly them with the guys who tossed them out as "unfixable." That HAS to be pretty satisfying!

Andy
Guilty as charged.
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:47 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,748 Posts
Found this on my laptop. Sure fits this thread topic.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Murocflyer; Oct 28, 2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:51 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
848 Posts
I thought i may just say im almost finished designing my own plane. It is a 60 size 3d profile. If i can export it from solid edge any one willing to guinea pig with building it?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:46 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrub monkey View Post
I thought i may just say im almost finished designing my own plane. It is a 60 size 3d profile. If i can export it from solid edge any one willing to guinea pig with building it?
What size motor do you think it would need?

I'm surprised no one has jumped on this already.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:04 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
scrub monkey - where are you located?

I've got a .46 waiting around and a selection of props and servos suitable for the build.

- boingk
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:26 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,958 Posts
Well I can say I have never bought an ARF or RTF, only kits or built from rolled plans. There is just something special about building your own! On my current build, I pulled out all the stops and jumped in. And at this point, am prettty proud of what I have got done up till now. You be the judge.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...=threadgallery

BTW, CAD work is not mine.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:53 AM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
848 Posts
Im in booyal qld. Near bundaberg. North od childers. Specifically between apple tree creek and gin gin. A google maps search of booyal will show it up. Im half way though the process od drwaing up the wing. It is using a naca 0018. Apparently on the thicker end of the 3d spectrum. Fully symetrical. The plane is 1.5m wing span. Uses 1/4" (or 6mm for the more evolved . ) With 1/16" sheeting. Uses any hard wood you want for the main stress points. The engine bearers go 300mm back into the fuse. Im thinking of doing the wing detatchable for a change for the profiles. Im thinking of a 45mm od aluminuim tube for the joiner extending out maybe 3-4 (probably 4) wing ribs. Ribs will be 1/8" (3mm). Should the ailerons just be a big built up affair or should they follow the airofoil? Just so you know THIS IS MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT DEIGNING A PLANE!!!!!!!! I really want for people to under stand that. I was thinking of using a 60 size motor. The wing will have 6450 square cm of area so should be a real floater. Not sure what an auw will be. How should hatches in the wings for rx, rx battery etc be made?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:02 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Hatches are almost uneccessary - just put them on the fuse side that doesn't have the exhaust on it.

AUW will be reasonable heavy for a plane of this size but wing loading should be alright.

I'd make the ailerons simple flat plate surfaces off the trailing edge of the airfoil - simple, effective, light.

As for the design it should be fine so long as you start out with a CG at the 25% mark and have reasonable control surfaces and throws.

Cheers - boingk
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:05 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
848 Posts
It is supposed to be a 3d plane so it will have big surfaces. Would it be better suited as a very aerobatic sport plane?
Closed Thread