HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:25 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farber View Post
I don't thinks it's being lazy either. My dad taught me to slow build and I think it's fun because you get to see what you actually built. But my friends who see my planes say that they are too busy to build like I do.
By the time I get into college, I will probably not have the time either, so I guess it's good to have the RFTS and ARFS when you don't have the time to build.
People make time to do the things they want to do. If you like to build, then you will make time for doing so. Obviously, most R/Cers don't need to build anymore, so they spend their free time doing other activities. Most don't understand the pure-great pleasure that can be derived from building and we are a whole generation away from it being necessary to build.

Determining how many people are building models from kits; or, plans would be an interesting figure to know! All we can really do is guestimate. Some clubs; or, areas will have higher percentages, some lower. It truly is a only a guess!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:04 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,619 Posts
I never would have built if it weren't for not NEEDING to build to fly first. The availability of cheap RTF's and ARFs probably actually increase the number of pilots who build, because they don't have to be dependent on that one plane they put so much effort into to learn how to fly it.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I'm 62, I've built flying balsa model since I was 6-8 years old and enjoyed every moment of it. So, I guess I build because I enjoy it! I was a tool and die maker so I have built things for a living, also!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:53 PM
United States, PA, Easton
Joined Jan 2009
125 Posts
The grim reality is; you won't.
smewr is offline Find More Posts by smewr
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:16 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smewr View Post
The grim reality is; you won't.
Is that a response to a particular reply, or to the thread title?

Either way I think thats a pretty dismissive and pessimistic way to look at it.

- boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:52 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
How do we get it back.. same way we keep the hobby alive.

Get the young-ones involved (pictures of me and my 18mo old son at the flying field this past sunday)..
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:43 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,619 Posts
Neato! Wonder what he thinks about that? Is he learning the lingo?
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:48 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
Neato! Wonder what he thinks about that? Is he learning the lingo?
Hes just getting around to talking and us knowing what he is referring to, but he knows what airplane and flying means. He has been going out to the flying field since he was only a few months old, so he is definitely getting exposed to the hobby.
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:45 PM
It Flys Me
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jun 2012
75 Posts
Balsa

I'm new to rc planes. I've built some scratch foamies, and one kit (foam).
You can find thousand of plans & instructions for foamies , right here on this
site ! FREE !

I've seached for free balsa plans and all I find are cad drawings or pictures with no instructions !
Why isn't there a list of balsa plans like in the foamies scratchbuild forums ? I want to build a balsa trainer , but it looks like it will end up being made of foam.
aldalo is offline Find More Posts by aldalo
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:02 PM
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Mar 2009
249 Posts
aldalo, have a look here http://www.rcmplans.com/ not FREE but a great selection for a reasonable price.

Brian T.
GBRellic is offline Find More Posts by GBRellic
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:04 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,121 Posts
aldalo - Try searching for 'Old Timer Plans List' and you should pick up quite a few very nice plans!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+thread&page=5

There we go mate, found it.

Pick something with a constand chord (non-tapering) wing and a bit of dihedral in a high-mounted wing for your trainer.

Cheers - boingk

EDIT:

This looks promising: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...9&d=1339765852

This looks even better! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...2&d=1341209593
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Last edited by boingk; Sep 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:25 PM
Servos can't have all the fun!
Athens, Alabama
Joined Jun 2005
1,104 Posts
boingk,

I think the first of those two you recommended would make a better trainer, as the airfoil looks like it would provide a wider range of flying speeds and be less prone rapid stall. Plus, the thicker airfoil looks like it would be stronger, and less prone to crash damage. Trainers need to be able to take some abuse.

MB6
Moonbeam Six is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam Six
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:26 AM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Just so you know building is not dead. My plans for this school holidays is to a) scratchbuild another plane of the kit i built last holidays b) build an old free flight convert to rc from rcm&e. A couple of questions also
1) what is a better aerofiol for 3d a thick or thin one?
2) is 1/4" sheeted with 1/16" ok for a profil fuse on a 60 size plane?
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:37 AM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubmonkey View Post
Just so you know building is not dead. My plans for this school holidays is to a) scratchbuild another plane of the kit i built last holidays b) build an old free flight convert to rc from rcm&e. A couple of questions also
1) what is a better aerofiol for 3d a thick or thin one?
2) is 1/4" sheeted with 1/16" ok for a profil fuse on a 60 size plane?
1) A thick, symmetrical one. NACA 0014 - 0018 are common.
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:24 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
How do we get it back.. same way we keep the hobby alive.

Get the young-ones involved (pictures of me and my 18mo old son at the flying field this past sunday)..

Nice... and to me the key is let kids touch touch touch.. i know sometimes it can be a little un-nerving but kids are tactile of all ages... makes another connection in the brain... smell (glow fuel ).. sound.. site.. and touch.... letting them have access to something they then see flying is priceless... building.. touching.. anything..

I shoot estes rockets off at the middle school for the science classes when they're doing space, proplusion, etc units.. they love it.... i demo how the igniers works... have a cut-away of the motors. They learn about the burn.. the coast phase, etc.. and then see it in action.. .. they get to touch everything.. the wadding.. etc.. . they smell the tube after the flight... remember that smell .... they touch touch touch.. i use basic rockets.. of all types.. parachute..streamer.. glider, etc...
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Closed Thread