Closed Thread
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:24 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlions72 View Post
I think you hit the "ole nail right on the head" with your statement to days kids are very lazy and want everything handed to them " Right Now " No questions asked ... I know you can't judge them all that way but I would bet it's a vast majority of them
I'm having issues getting together a robotics and rocketry team at our school. last year we had 5 kids to do both, now 2 of them have graduated so it's me and 2 others. The interest meeting had a whole 5 kids in it, and only 1 wanted to do it...so this year we have 4 people for robotics, and the same 4 for rockets, and I'm probably going to have to do 90% of the work.

So out of 1200 people in a high school, 4 are willing to try and design and build stuff. That's not a real great ratio.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:24 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Aug 2007
101 Posts
I don't know about the parts of kids are being lazy. I have been asking the questions to them over the long week-end how I should start an RC business.

The answers were interesting. Obviously the electronics and social media are more interesting these days for them. And the technology that enables it has their attention. FPV appears cool to them too, with heli and quadcopters.

Then I commented that ARF made the RC business a commodity because of the cost of labor, for the short term. Their answer was either have the government subsidized the industry, or tax foreign imports! The other good comment was that this only affected low-end products, but not UAVs used for commercial or military: and how these work, they find interesting.

So, I don't know. I love to build, they love to network and any multimedia / visual / control things. Maybe the opportunity is to redefine building for the next generation and keep the hobby going.

Just my 2 cents
Garuda is offline Find More Posts by Garuda
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:42 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,242 Posts
I live seven miles from AMA headquarters in Muncie, Indiana. The hobby shop adjacent to the flying field is closing. They no longer get enough business - at the national headquarters for the AMA! If ever anyone needed proof, this is it: we no longer have a hobby ; it's just a sport, and flying models are just sporting goods or toys.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:39 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Gee I wish everyone would stop whinging... right before clicking 'Open New Tab' and placing their next order from HobbyKing.

Yes, many local shops are closing or reducing their lines of model aircraft parts. This is in part because of online vendors and (in many cases) their poor service or inability to keep up with modern developments (such as brushless motors and lithium batteries). My local place has NiMH packs for Chr!st sake...

The hobby itself is alive and booming, and not only in the traditional builders segment of balsa but in the new realm of foam as well.

This will be my last contribution to the thread as it seems to be continuing in the same vibe... people whinging about the lack of interest or lack of support for local shops. Personally I could care less as I know differently, or know why some local shops are failing. This has all been discussed before in this thread and others.

As for the 'kids being lazy/expectant/whatever' arguement, I think its the same as its always been - kids are kids, and are a product of the times they are brought up in. Nowdays it means mobile communications and internet access to information, games and friends. Kids are much the same as they always have been, with the majority pretty good and a few bad eggs giving that majority a bad name.

Some will always love building things and some will want the 'cool I'm flying it!' experience of an ARF. This, again, is much the same as it always has been. I personally would not get somone to build their first (or perhaps even second) model, as they will have a much better idea of what to do *after* learning the basics of flight with a 3ch RET or 2ch glider.

Boingk signing out!
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:03 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,593 Posts
Boingk-I wish you'd reconsider defecting....We need voices like yours to generate new ideas in furthering the hobby.

I agree with you-There are as many people flying at the three clubs I frequent,as always...The Delaware R/C club is overflowing with modelers,and these are guys who bring their wives and kids along.

You can't make kids want to fly or build,but you can expose them to to the feel of modeling,and maybe they'll pick up on it.

Hobby shops can't compete with mail order.Period.But hobby shops are thriving in my area(Pa.,Md.,De).Extreme Hobbies in Pa.is bigger than ever....thanks to an owner who keeps up with the trends.He has the NIMH batteries I like,along with the LIFE batteries everyone raves about.

Stores of ALL kinds are closing...not just Hobby Shops...but internet shopping is done,without driving 45 minutes each way to find out the LHS doesn't have what you want.
I don't believe many modelers quit building because a hobby shop closes,I believe the shops close because modelers have quit building ! ARFs are a big part of modeling,now,and will continue to be....but if a LHS doesn't have the demand,they have to close.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:45 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Bingo. Our local store has a small section of RC ARF's and a reasonable selection of DUbro hardware...not much else. An hour away, there is a store with almost everything you can imagine, and 3 hours away there is a store that has just opened up half its total floor to RC of some kind! All are good businesses, and all have been thriving because the managers know what a good store needs.

- boingk
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:35 PM
Deer Park Wa.
Joined Aug 2007
4 Posts
How do we bring model building back?
Just keep on building and then show off your models and talk to the people that come to see you fly or sail. Offer guidance in getting into the hobby and push building thier own model and the great satisfaction and knowledge it will bring them. I have been building model planes and boats for 57yrs.
The last 10 years or so I have been mostly scratch building from plans because of the lack of kit anymore. It seems like you go to the local hobby shop, and all you find are ARF's I feel sad for the next generation of kids in this got to have it now mentality that's out there.

Dave
bowmaster is offline Find More Posts by bowmaster
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:06 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Well the first thing i do when i go into a hobby shop is look for any kits. I love building, im 15, my only wish is that i had the funds to constantly build. Mum asked for a christmas list. First thing on it was a selection of balsa for the rcm&e sandow plan build. I try to get other people to build. Me and the ex grounds keeper of the club are constantly exchanging plans. He has drawers full of plans and even a couple of plans for full size planes.
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:41 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Plans for full size planes eh? Nice... and you're an Aussie too! YES!!!

Check out the RAA, specifically raa.asn.au and you'll find you can fly the real deals reasonably inexpensively. Forget that 'flash' ($10~20k) car... buy an airplane instead!

By the by, check out Hobbyking's selection of balsa kits. I've built their 'GeeBee 3D balsa kit' (search for that on their site) and found it a top little flyer.

Good to see the spirit alive and kicking.

Cheers - boingk
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:13 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Plans for full size planes eh? Nice... and you're an Aussie too! YES!!!

Check out the RAA, specifically raa.asn.au and you'll find you can fly the real deals reasonably inexpensively. Forget that 'flash' ($10~20k) car... buy an airplane instead!

By the by, check out Hobbyking's selection of balsa kits. I've built their 'GeeBee 3D balsa kit' (search for that on their site) and found it a top little flyer.

Good to see the spirit alive and kicking.

Cheers - boingk
I saw that kit. Is it a good 3d plane? For $20 (i think it was) it looks good. Does it fly as good as their galaxy? That is im planning on a christmas present. Mum wanted me to make a lisxt of stuff i want for it. Of course ill make a list
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:15 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
The GeeBee is a top little kit, I'll link a video in of a guy that built it in a very similar way to me:

Hobbyking mini-3d Geebee (2 min 1 sec)

Mine flew exactly like that (details in my blog) and I'm sure would make a nice 3D introductory for intermediate pilots. Beginners beware that this thing has good control throws and large surfaces, with an insane power to weight ratio - wait until you are a more experienced flyer!

- boingk
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:22 AM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Looks something more towards a club pylon plane. Would suit our club as we held the world pylon championships last year
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:26 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Probably more suited to 3D to be honest as I'm not sure that video is at real-time speed. The airfoil is very thick, the construction very lightweight (thrust/weight ratio about 2:1) and allowable surface deflections are very large.

- boingk
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:42 PM
I Ain't Got It !
Joined Jul 2012
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
I don't know about the parts of kids are being lazy. I have been asking the questions to them over the long week-end how I should start an RC business.
I don't thinks it's being lazy either. My dad taught me to slow build and I think it's fun because you get to see what you actually built. But my friends who see my planes say that they are too busy to build like I do.
By the time I get into college, I will probably not have the time either, so I guess it's good to have the RFTS and ARFS when you don't have the time to build.
Farber is offline Find More Posts by Farber
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
There will always be kids who like to build! Remember they are just little adults. Some adults like to build, some don't.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Closed Thread