Closed Thread
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:58 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wufnu View Post
It's not late to start thinking about that; it's the perfect time. If you haven't yet, I would suggest looking for some navy/military forums and asking for advice on how you can use your degree within the Navy. I'm sure there are opportunities but I don't know what they are and being in the military you'll have to be prepared to be put where they want you and not necessarily where you want to go.

I do remember I was flown out to Huntsville's Redstone Arsenal to meet the crew as I was selected for a position there in early 2010. Aside from the government testing areas, there were large buildings for Boeing, etc. If I remember correctly, they would usually have some military engineers about the place although I don't know what they did. I never got to learn because about 1 month later Boeing was shorted on a contract which caused a lot of fuss at the arsenal which lead to the direct loss of numerous jobs which included mine. Them's the breaks.

I was never in the military myself but my dad was for 22 years. I'm sure you will do your homework but I can't stress enough that you need to know what you want, and how to get them to give it to you, before you sign up. Of course it includes things like bonuses, benefits, etc. but it also includes things like promotion paths, etc. Look far in the future. Do you want to be a fighter pilot? Commander? Test pilot? Astronaut? Etc. They all have best ways to get there; look them up. It will be hard because like 99% of people you're thinking and dreaming nothing but flying, "Just get me in a plane and I don't care!". Lots of things you have to ask for, specifically, and often nobody will ever tell you those things exists nor will they tell you how to get them. Be prepared.

That includes preparing for what you want to do after you retire or leave the military. Lots of positions aren't bound for glory but will net you big bucks when you leave; know what they are so you can plan on getting them now. The best example I can think of is flying the OH-58 in the Army. Everyone seems to focus on the Apache, Blackhawk, etc. Ask around, though: no OH-58 has to look for work long after they leave with decades of OH-58 experience. The main reason? The OH-58, unlike most other military helicopters, is not overpowered. They need a bit more finesse on the collective and throttle and get much more time at low altitude maneuverability. Ask an OH-58 pilot how blackhawk pilots fly, for example, and they'll say they try to jerk the collective right off. No finesse

Re: Andy, I remember watching Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about when he was a kid and seeing a list of all the people in congress and what their professions were. He couldn't help but exclaim, "Where are the scientists? Where are the engineers?". Pity.

I looked and found it!

http://youtu.be/9kKuXgzXt5U
I'm definitely going to head over to the military forums right now and do some asking. Good idea there. My father also had 22 years in.

After you posted the above message, I was sent a PM that thoroughly explains the military and AE positions in Huntsville. There's some exploring to do there as well!

One of the most important things that I've learned through and college application and interview process is how to differentiate myself from the "I want to fly a jet plane" types. I know that the Navy will try to put sailors where they need them. It takes a lot of hard work, combined with a certain amount of success from that hard work, to earn the ability to choose my position. Then again, my only experience with all of that has been through my parents, who were both enlisted. Maybe it will be slightly different as an officer coming through ROTC.

There's a very good chance that I will be dual majoring in AE and ME.

Kody

P.S. I didn't expect that you'd have all of these U.S. ties. I figured you were a Chinese modeler that spoke English very well! :P There are quite a few modelers here like that.
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:08 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Oh Oh!, this is turning into another LTUP forum.
Would you care to define this acronym for me? As you can see, I have been an active member of RCG for quite a while. I don't want to step on any toes by hijacking a thread. You have to admit though, if you do consider this a hijack, it has to be the most worthy hijack ever!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:30 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
Yes, your experience will be different because you will need even MORE success to choose your position. It's up or out. You must succeed to stay, even more to choose where you land. Your dad will likely know more, have you talked with him about this? Surely he had made a few officer friends or acquaintances that spilled the beans on officer life, at some point in his career. My dad was in the Army so I don't have the slightest clue how it is in the navy.

LTUP is "Life, The Universe, and Politics", an off topic forum (off topic being "non-R/C related"). It's where you go to read right or left wing propaganda, middle of the road propaganda, bash teachers, and otherwise huff puff and blow nothing down because nobody cares what you think but by god that won't stop you from posting your opinion, hahaha. I loved LTUP, when I had the time to read it. This thread, after hundreds of pages of "when I was a boy" and lots of chest thumping, has been derailed and I helped it do so immensely; I apologize. I can't help it; when I get to thinking, I tend to write small book sized posts. If I have to ruffle some undergarments to potentially help a young guy avoid my mistakes, which were all far more important than any sticks and glue, then I do so gladly. In the interest of being considerate to others, I will try not to in the future.

By the way, I'm not Chinese. I just returned after two years of teaching math and physics there. I'm as American as you can breed them; I don't have a Chinese bone in my body. Part of always being curious about things meant that I took a ton of classes I didn't need when I was in college. I wanted to learn! One of those classes was Mandarin Chinese, which I didn't even need. I chose it because, "Hey, it's hard, right? I bet nobody knows Chinese, they're all too intimidated by it. I should know Chinese." 3 years later I graduated and left these shores for distant lands. It was quite the adventure but I've had about enough and here I am. I suppose I should update my location, hah.
Wufnu is offline Find More Posts by Wufnu
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:54 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Yes, your experience will be different because you will need even MORE success to choose your position. It's up or out. You must succeed to stay, even more to choose where you land. Your dad will likely know more, have you talked with him about this? Surely he had made a few officer friends or acquaintances that spilled the beans on officer life, at some point in his career. My dad was in the Army so I don't have the slightest clue how it is in the navy.

LTUP is "Life, The Universe, and Politics", an off topic forum (off topic being "non-R/C related"). It's where you go to read right or left wing propaganda, middle of the road propaganda, bash teachers, and otherwise huff puff and blow nothing down because nobody cares what you think but by god that won't stop you from posting your opinion, hahaha. I loved LTUP, when I had the time to read it. This thread, after hundreds of pages of "when I was a boy" and lots of chest thumping, has been derailed and I helped it do so immensely; I apologize. I can't help it; when I get to thinking, I tend to write small book sized posts. If I have to ruffle some undergarments to potentially help a young guy avoid my mistakes, which were all far more important than any sticks and glue, then I do so gladly. In the interest of being considerate to others, I will try not to in the future.

By the way, I'm not Chinese. I just returned after two years of teaching math and physics there. I'm as American as you can breed them; I don't have a Chinese bone in my body. Part of always being curious about things meant that I took a ton of classes I didn't need when I was in college. I wanted to learn! One of those classes was Mandarin Chinese, which I didn't even need. I chose it because, "Hey, it's hard, right? I bet nobody knows Chinese, they're all too intimidated by it. I should know Chinese." 3 years later I graduated and left these shores for distant lands. It was quite the adventure but I've had about enough and here I am. I suppose I should update my location, hah.
Talk about following your dreams! Way to go! Thanks for defining LTUP.

I've talked about this for years with my father. We always talk about, well, everything. The good officers listen to the chiefs and the chiefs bring them up through the ranks, so he has more than a few of the characteristics that make a good sailor. I'm extremely fortunate to have such an insight.

Kody
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:48 AM
I wanna fly like this
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
I think this has been the most refreshing hijack I've ever followed. No politics, no opinions, and no BS. Just people sharing experience with each other. Thank you.
Kody, I applaud your ability to plan for your future. There are so many young people today that haven't got a clue what they'll be doing next month, let alone next year and beyond. Thank you for renewing my belief in this next generation. I wish you the very best in all your endeavors.

Bob
HighLife is offline Find More Posts by HighLife
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:05 AM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49 View Post
After you posted the above message, I was sent a PM that thoroughly explains the military and AE positions in Huntsville. There's some exploring to do there as well!
Only now have I realized the implications of this sentence. Only someone that works there would have thorough knowledge; please let them know that I need a job!
Wufnu is offline Find More Posts by Wufnu
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:55 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLife View Post
I think this has been the most refreshing hijack I've ever followed. No politics, no opinions, and no BS. Just people sharing experience with each other. Thank you.
Kody, I applaud your ability to plan for your future. There are so many young people today that haven't got a clue what they'll be doing next month, let alone next year and beyond. Thank you for renewing my belief in this next generation. I wish you the very best in all your endeavors.

Bob
Bob,

I'm glad to hear that!

I hear a lot of negative things about the future of my generation, and they're not unwarranted, might I add. What you say is very true. I think that goals are so incredibly important to overall success! You know, I only have so much time in this world. I figure I should make the most of it.

Quote:
Only now have I realized the implications of this sentence. Only someone that works there would have thorough knowledge; please let them know that I need a job!
Hehehe. Will do. Should I mention that you have a way with language...particularly Mandarine?
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:33 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,046 Posts
Subbing to this thread, I'll work my way though it over time.

I love building, but unfortunately most kids around my age, and especially younger, have no interest in building. they want everything to be premade, ready to go, and to fly itself. It's sad....I'm working on getting together a model building club at my school, and in conjunction with the LHS I work at. Hopefully we can bring back the satisfaction of building something yourself, one step at a time. I'm building a Sig Four Star right now, and just finished restoring a Byron Beech Staggerwing that's almost twice my age.
Also, somewhat relating to the previous conversation-I'm a junior in HS, and highly involved in our JROTC program, and aiming to be an aeronautical engineer and/or fly fighters for the USAF if the opportunity arises. I've always been an airplane nut, dad flew F-16's for years and years, so aviation has been with me from the beginning.

Anyway, thought I'd stop in and let you guys know that not all hope is lost. There are a few of us propellerheads around still, and quite a few of us don't mind some time in the workshop.
For the rest, the golden arches are shining
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:04 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Hearing some of these younger guys i am happy to see the future is not lost after all. Keep at the books guys it will pay off in the end. BTW this tip comes from someone who never made it through my second year of high school . You can have all the education in the world but if you dont have a little street smarts and a good work ethic your education will be waisted. We started out with 13 supers running a construction company when times were good and all the ones with educations are gone and iam the only one left . Why because alot of problems were not in any book but on the jobsites and all it took so solve them was to go out and talk to the men and with very little thinking figure them out. . You cant do it from a office or on a laptop ,you can throw money at it but all the cost is gone over at the end of every year by companys and over spending is a sure way to pack your bags.A little street smarts goes along way and with a education you cant be stoped. .My two cents take it or leave it .joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Aug 03, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:09 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Im in grade 10 (15 yo) and love building. Ive also thought about starting a model club in the school. It would be pretty good to as they also have a laser printer, cnc router, cnc mill ans a 3d printer. We also have lisences to two different graphics progams. One is inventor and allows you to stress the part and it shows weak spots etc. Unfortunately the lhs shut down at the end of last year and the next closest is howard (approx an hours drive away) i thought of getting the idol kits from hobbyking and letting them build them, fly them and learn on them. Use cheap chinese stuff as they would be flying on the oval. 2 footy fields wide and 2 footy fields long. Ive been trying to find a teacher interested or involved in it though so i would have some backing when i go to the principal to ask. The closest i found was the wife of the local rc club president and she isnt interested in them. Any way im still trying. I might see if i can take a foamy and give an unofficial demo in the bus turn around right next to the under cover area where we are all supposed to eat and by the tuckshop. There is a garden thing between them but im sure id get a few interested that way.
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:33 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubmonkey View Post
Im in grade 10 (15 yo) and love building. Ive also thought about starting a model club in the school. It would be pretty good to as they also have a laser printer, cnc router, cnc mill ans a 3d printer.
What kind of a school did you go to?

My brother and I were able to do a couple flight demonstrations. One was during a school gathering in the gym (with permission, of course), while the other took place during a talent show that was open to the public (also with permission). The talent show was particularly successful with a small 3D foamy that I kit-built. It really grabbed the interest of our classmates and the town presence. All sorts of questions were asked and boy did we answer them. Some hidden modelers also came out of the crowd. It's always fun to talk with fellow modelers!

Cheers,
Kody
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:22 AM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
I go to shalom college in bundaberg qld. At a science and engineering challenge comp between all the schools in the district i met an old fella who was helping out and he flies and build warbirds and that at the same club. Any way spent most of the day nattering about planes and building
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:37 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubmonkey View Post
Ive been trying to find a teacher interested or involved in it though so i would have some backing when i go to the principal to ask.
Try a Physics teacher. A lot of them are really just overgrown kids at heart. They like to play.

You can sell it on the hands-on aspect directly related to many things they learn in class.

Gas laws (density altitude)
Bernoulli's Principle (lift)
Newton's laws (thrust = drag, lift = gravity)
Centripetal motion (how many g's do you pull - this is my favorite Spektrum telemetry sensor, too)

My brother is a Chemistry and Physics teacher and he uses aviation and rocketry (another great thing for a club) as part of his curriculum every year.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:01 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,046 Posts
I have my German teacher and my Engineering teacher, they are both interested in modeling. I have access to the school's 3d printer and a small CNC machine.We're hoping to get the club started this year, all the paperwork is done. I've done some flight demos with planes during lunch in the bus lot and over the football field, and I'm taking an independent study course on multirotor autonomous flight and aerial photography.
I'm hoping to get a grant or two to help with the multirotors, those can get expensive.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Last edited by Endlesslag; Aug 04, 2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:25 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,057 Posts
I'll be in your area for a day or two in a few weeks. My wife's family lives around Fbg.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Closed Thread