HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:42 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
You went to each one and looked at where they post the most correct? Of course not.

Your the only one making it personal. Don't even try to go there.

Boy you must be bored. May I suggest you go build something and get out and fly?

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:46 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
Your right it's not a real vote. 80% of the "No" votes are people with 0 posts, foam builders or people who never build anything.

I hope the one who protests too much is investigating those. Not holding my breath.

Ghetto forum? Like Foamies (Kits) and Foamies (Scratchbuilt) forums?

To bring model building back we all need to pass on what we know to the younger generation. Get them started young. I have seen some of you on this thread do that.

Robert
+1

My sentiments exactly, Robert.

I must say I'm not a fan of the 'divide and conquer' way of thought - though I do understand the problems associated with starting another similar thread and having the focus switched from where the 'regs' like to read from.

Tough nut to crack, that one.

The plus side I see to creating a new thread is two-fold: A fresh place to start (or 'restart' as it may be) without the need of wading through hundreds of pages of posts and risk losing a potential new reader; and the chance to drop old rival arguments that tend to put some ppl off.

Old rivals can, of course, choose to punch-on in the fresh thread too.

I guess it's 50/50 if it's a good idea or not (well, the current trend is showing around 75% for, 25% against - which is a fairly substantial difference in favour of the 'Yays').

If that stat alone is supported by more people "getting into building", then it might just be a good thing.

Time will tell...

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:20 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,505 Posts
Quote:
You went to each one and looked at where they post the most correct? Of course not.
]

I know several of those posters, having been here for quite some time I know what they build and what they post about. One of the benefit of actually looking at what people are saying, rather than trying to fit them into a little pigeon hole., For those I do not know, a few minutes searching was enough to show some of the things that they build and fly and are interested in. The claim that you made was completely false.

Quote:
Your the only one making it personal. Don't even try to go there.
No, I am not making it personal at all,. I am addressing the merits of the proposal, and have done so from the beginning. It is others who have attempted to make it personal - and the claim that you just made, casting aspersions on the folks who disagree with the proposal is intensely personal, and, of course, completely incorrect.

Quote:
Boy you must be bored. May I suggest you go build something and get out and fly?

Robert
There ya go again, making it personal, - I was out flying yesterday. I'm just waiting for the footy to kick off and then,when that is finished, I'll be heading off to work. Not that any of that has the slightest thing to do with the issue at hand.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:30 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
+1

My sentiments exactly, Robert.

I must say I'm not a fan of the 'divide and conquer' way of thought - though I do understand the problems associated with starting another similar thread and having the focus switched from where the 'regs' like to read from.

Tough nut to crack, that one.

The plus side I see to creating a new thread is two-fold: A fresh place to start (or 'restart' as it may be) without the need of wading through hundreds of pages of posts and risk losing a potential new reader; and the chance to drop old rival arguments that tend to put some ppl off.

Old rivals can, of course, choose to punch-on in the fresh thread too.

I guess it's 50/50 if it's a good idea or not (well, the current trend is showing around 75% for, 25% against - which is a fairly substantial difference in favour of the 'Yays').

If that stat alone is supported by more people "getting into building", then it might just be a good thing.

Time will tell...

BJ
Just to clarify, the proposal isn't to just create a new thread - anyone can do that at any time and the OP could have done that, in this forum. The proposal is to create an entirely new forum, which will duplicate a substantial part of the topic matter and content of this existing Builder's Workshop forum.

When that has happened in the past, all that has followed is that posters continue to post in both the existing forum and the new forum, but that threads and posts are now split across both locations, making the information more disseminated, harder to find, and for new threads to have a smaller audience and less chance of being answered.

It has proved completely counter productive to split the content in such a manner.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
leccyflyer your fishin but I'm not biting.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:51 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Just to clarify, the proposal isn't to just create a new thread - anyone can do that at any time and the OP could have done that, in this forum. The proposal is to create an entirely new forum, which will duplicate a substantial part of the topic matter and content of this existing Builder's Workshop forum.

When that has happened in the past, all that has followed is that posters continue to post in both the existing forum and the new forum, but that threads and posts are now split across both locations, making the information more disseminated, harder to find, and for new threads to have a smaller audience and less chance of being answered.

It has proved completely counter productive to split the content in such a manner.
Can you give us a example of witch forums split and why it was so hard for you to click your mouse and find it .?
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:51 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,505 Posts
Quote:
leccyflyer your fishin but I'm not biting.
No Robert, I'm not fishing. I am answering each of the points that you have tried to make. As I've already said, it is completely counter-productive to attempt to make these issues personal. Try to discuss the issue itself, rather than make comments like the one you;ve just made about fishing..
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:03 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Can you give us a example of witch forums split and why it was so hard for you to click your mouse and find it .?
I can give multiple examples - here is just one to start off with - The Electric Warbrds forum was created and now electric warbirds are posted about in the Electric Scale forum, in the Parkflyers Forum, In the foamies scratchbuilt and in the foamies forums, as well as in this forum. That;s about five forums in which the information which was previously more easily found, mostly in the Electric Scale forum.

Similarly the Glow to Electric conversions forum was created, even though the Sports Plane forum was specifically entitled as being for glow to electric conversions, resulting in the content being split between two forums and meaning that folks interested in glow to electric conversions having two forums to check, instead of just one (not to mention all the gas to electric conversions that were being posted about in all of the other forums as well.

More forums means more dilution, more fragmentation, and more difficulty in finding information. That is especially so when forums already exist which specifically target the subject matter of the new proposed forum, as is the case with this proposal.

The irony is that it is mostly relatively new posters who make these proposals, without having taken the time to explore and evaluate the options which are already available in the existing forum structure. There are 98 aircraft forums on the front page, and no small number of those represent unnecessary and detrimental dupilcation and fragmentation of previously existing forums. Every time another duplicate forum is added it further dilutes the content and makes it more difficult to navigate the forums.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:29 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,263 Posts
Quote:
Your right it's not a real vote. 80% of the "No" votes are people with 0 posts, foam builders or people who never build anything.
But more to the point, although it looks like a vote to create a new forum (not THREAD BJ64, that's a completely different thing) however many people vote for that new forum it will not be created. And that's because there's a proper way of asking for a new forum and that ain't it.

Of course you're welcome to carry on wasting your time. If you ever do get organised to do it properly and there is an official vote for that new forum I'll vote against it again .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
We are quite aware of the rules and are following them. You may vote however you want you will still be in the minority but that is ok that is your option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
But more to the point, although it looks like a vote to create a new forum (not THREAD BJ64, that's a completely different thing) however many people vote for that new forum it will not be created. And that's because there's a proper way of asking for a new forum and that ain't it.

Of course you're welcome to carry on wasting your time. If you ever do get organised to do it properly and there is an official vote for that new forum I'll vote against it again .

Steve
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,312 Posts
Quote:
I can give multiple examples - here is just one to start off with - The Electric Warbrds forum was created and now electric warbirds are posted about in the Electric Scale forum, in the Parkflyers Forum, In the foamies scratchbuilt and in the foamies forums, as well as in this forum. That;s about five forums in which the information which was previously more easily found, mostly in the Electric Scale forum.

Similarly the Glow to Electric conversions forum was created, even though the Sports Plane forum was specifically entitled as being for glow to electric conversions, resulting in the content being split between two forums and meaning that folks interested in glow to electric conversions having two forums to check, instead of just one (not to mention all the gas to electric conversions that were being posted about in all of the other forums as well.

More forums means more dilution, more fragmentation, and more difficulty in finding information. That is especially so when forums already exist which specifically target the subject matter of the new proposed forum, as is the case with this proposal.

The irony is that it is mostly relatively new posters who make these proposals, without having taken the time to explore and evaluate the options which are already available in the existing forum structure. There are 98 aircraft forums on the front page, and no small number of those represent unnecessary and detrimental dupilcation and fragmentation of previously existing forums. Every time another duplicate forum is added it further dilutes the content and makes it more difficult to navigate the forums.
While we are talking about NEW posters do you have any balsa builds of yours you could share with us ? I mean this is the workshop and we are trying to get a balsa built only section so i would guess you have many balsa builds under yourbelt.? joe
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:28 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,505 Posts
Quote:
While we are talking about NEW posters do you have any balsa builds of yours you could share with us ? I mean this is the workshop and we are trying to get a balsa built only section so i would guess you have many balsa builds under yourbelt.? joe
I've built balsa models and even posted about them in the past on RC Groups, Many of them were built before the Ezone had a forum, so no build threads.. .My models are documented in my blog and include a variety of balsa and foam kit builds, plan builds, ARTs and second hand models. This isn't about me though, no matter how much you might try to make it personal.

This isn't the forum for trying to get another forum, BTW. That would be the New Forum Requests forum.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,312 Posts
Quote:
I've built balsa models and even posted about them in the past on RC Groups, Many of them were built before the Ezone had a forum, so no build threads.. .My models are documented in my blog and include a variety of balsa and foam kit builds, plan builds, ARTs and second hand models. This isn't about me though, no matter how much you might try to make it personal.

This isn't the forum for trying to get another forum, BTW. That would be the New Forum Requests forum.
No .just trying to get a feel of who or what we are dealing with here and i think most can tell . I know you voted no and many of us voted yes and that should have been the end of it but you keep bringing your opinion up. So for one who cant find different builds in different threads you can shure find us here and in others to say the same tired thing over and over again. Good by joe
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:43 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,505 Posts
Quote:
No .just trying to get a feel of who or what we are dealing with here and i think most can tell . I know you voted no and many of us voted yes and that should have been the end of it but you keep bringing your opinion up. So for one who cant find different builds in different threads you can shure find us here and in others to say the same tired thing over and over again. Good by joe
Nope. As has already been explained to you, the "vote" in the other forum is not a legitimate vote. That thread is for discussion of the merits of the forum proposal. You simply do not get to stifle anyone's opinion, or control in any way, shape or form, their contribution to that discussion.

Furthermore, it wasn't me who brought that discussion to this forum.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:15 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,467 Posts
I say no simply because it fractures the building community further.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Closed Thread