Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:09 AM
Bicycle clown
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2010
399 Posts
I like ARF"s too, but that consumeristic culture what they sometimes create around them is not what i like. RC-flying has suddenly become the most consumeristic hobby there is, we are like women shopping and chatting. "Molly! i bought this! wow! now Brenda! i will buy that!"
This latest trend where guys buy kits and ARF"s, and sell them away next week without even opening the box is just weird, man. It is getting more and more usual here.
They just enjoy buying it, they don"t want to touch it. Only pleasure is to buy, buy, buy.
Pure consumerism at it"s finest.
I wait when clubs will ban scratchbuild planes. They will announce that"Self-made are too dangerous, we take safety seriously here". It would be the next logical step on this fashion.
What irks me sometimes is how ARF-guys see scratchbuild planes. They are very mean sometimes. Not openly usually, but between the lines. They very much like to see it like builders build only because they have not enough money to buy ARF, which is of course laughable logic. They see builders as a poor, down and out fellas.
In their mind it is simple. Everybody buys ARF, if they can. If they have not bought ARF, there"s something wrong. Consumerism replaces braincells.
Our only hope is serious economical depression. That will drag people back on this earth.
Shuffle is offline Find More Posts by Shuffle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2012, 03:01 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It's summer (on the important side of the planet )!

I got 6 new models from the past winter to play with!

Andy
Don't know about the important bit ,we build and fly 12 months of the year down here
My latest is on the home stretch to the flight line now an 82" CAC Boomerang (it's scratch built)
SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:58 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffle View Post
I like ARF"s too, but that consumeristic culture what they sometimes create around them is not what i like. RC-flying has suddenly become the most consumeristic hobby there is, we are like women shopping and chatting. "Molly! i bought this! wow! now Brenda! i will buy that!"
This latest trend where guys buy kits and ARF"s, and sell them away next week without even opening the box is just weird, man. It is getting more and more usual here.
They just enjoy buying it, they don"t want to touch it. Only pleasure is to buy, buy, buy.
Pure consumerism at it"s finest.
I wait when clubs will ban scratchbuild planes. They will announce that"Self-made are too dangerous, we take safety seriously here". It would be the next logical step on this fashion.
What irks me sometimes is how ARF-guys see scratchbuild planes. They are very mean sometimes. Not openly usually, but between the lines. They very much like to see it like builders build only because they have not enough money to buy ARF, which is of course laughable logic. They see builders as a poor, down and out fellas.
In their mind it is simple. Everybody buys ARF, if they can. If they have not bought ARF, there"s something wrong. Consumerism replaces braincells.
Our only hope is serious economical depression. That will drag people back on this earth.
Hey!

"Lighten-up Francis"

It's not all doom-&-gloom yanno.

And if it comes down to ARF v's Builders and vice versa then we have lost the plot..

JMO

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:33 PM
Bicycle clown
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2010
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Hey!

"Lighten-up Francis"

It's not all doom-&-gloom yanno.

And if it comes down to ARF v's Builders and vice versa then we have lost the plot..

JMO

BJ
That doom&gloom is in your mind. Culture differences
When we laugh, US guys usually think it"s sad as hell. You know.
There"s no global standard of humour or sadness. We speak out straightforwardly here. It"s not personal or sad.
Have a nice day, mate.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:44 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
Man i go away for a little bit and the ausy is telling the guy from finland to chill and he is blaiming us in the US .lol I always try to speak the truth ,its all we have as men to be judged by. I fly both scratch built planes and arf's foamy's and any other thing i can put wing's on .It does not matter to me if you fly arf's or scratch built planes but i do wish scratch building to continue ,so guys pass it on to the youth in what ever country you live in. Thanks joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Jun 09, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,093 Posts
Nah - wasn't really trying to tell anyone anything, C'meup.

Hence the at the end of the Bill Murray 'Stripes' quote.

And I know the Fins are a whacky lot - I love the Rcgutt vids on YouTube. Those guys have an aweful lot of fun at their local field.

It's just my bland Ozzie sense of humour, I guess. No offence meant

BJ
Old Jun 09, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
Quote:
Nah - wasn't really trying to tell anyone anything, C'meup.

Hence the at the end of the Bill Murray 'Stripes' quote.

And I know the Fins are a whacky lot - I love the Rcgutt vids on YouTube. Those guys have an aweful lot of fun at their local field.

It's just my bland Ozzie sense of humour, I guess. No offence meant

BJ
I like ozzie's sence of humour ,i have meet alot here in the states. joe
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:03 PM
Bicycle clown
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2010
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Man i go away for a little bit and the ausy is telling the guy from finland to chill and he is blaiming us in the US
Blaming US? Where? You guys are funny.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffle View Post
Blaming US? Where? You guys are funny.
Instead of (us) you wrote, US guys usually think it'd sad as hell. My bad,but at least we have world peace now.. lmao joe
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Don't know if anybody posted before but some of use are trying to get a balsa and ply scratch built forum going. You can vote here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1649587

Thanks!

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,093 Posts
Voted affirmative.

(Why would anyone want to vote 'No' ?? - just don't read that thread if you're not interested )

BJ
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:54 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,249 Posts
Quote:
Voted affirmative.

(Why would anyone want to vote 'No' ?? - just don't read that thread if you're not interested )

BJ
That's not a real vote....i.e. the people who want the forum haven't bothered with the real process for getting a new forum so the vote will have no effect. But I still voted no because there are already too many forums, including several that deal mainly with the same subject. I don't want to see yet another ghetto forum where things I might otherwise be interested in can be hidden away so I miss them.

To almost get back to the original subject of this thread: you encourage building by letting "ordinary" modellers see what can be done and what fun a good build can be NOT by hiding all the build information in a forum only read by the most dedicated "scratchers" (is that people who have a nasty skin disease ?).

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:26 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Your right it's not a real vote. 80% of the "No" votes are people with 0 posts, foam builders or people who never build anything.

I hope the one who protests too much is investigating those. Not holding my breath.

Ghetto forum? Like Foamies (Kits) and Foamies (Scratchbuilt) forums?

To bring model building back we all need to pass on what we know to the younger generation. Get them started young. I have seen some of you on this thread do that.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
That's not a real vote....i.e. the people who want the forum haven't bothered with the real process for getting a new forum so the vote will have no effect. But I still voted no because there are already too many forums, including several that deal mainly with the same subject. I don't want to see yet another ghetto forum where things I might otherwise be interested in can be hidden away so I miss them.

To almost get back to the original subject of this thread: you encourage building by letting "ordinary" modellers see what can be done and what fun a good build can be NOT by hiding all the build information in a forum only read by the most dedicated "scratchers" (is that people who have a nasty skin disease ?).

Steve
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:37 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
Your right it's not a real vote. 80% of the "No" votes are people with 0 posts, foam builders or people who never build anything.
^False.^

The RC Groups members who have voted "No" in the non-poll are, as follows

Chocmah - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=292564

DeeBee-1

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=149575

imgumby

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=244181

slipstick

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=23277

Steve Wenban

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=24878

Thomas B

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=1165

WA Gliderguy

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=302253

Wehrdoh

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=364038

and myself.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=1568

who, you can see from their blogs and posts, do not fit the description of 0 posts, foam builder or people who never build anything

There are just two other No votes, from 0 post members - Cosmicray and Propjetliners, so we don;t know what their particular area of interest is, and one No vote from Warningshot, who appears to be an active flyer, but it's not easy to see what exactly he or she flies, or builds.

So your claimthat 80% of the No votes are from 0 post members, foam builders and people who haven;t built anything is utterly and completely false.

I won;t dwell on the suspended duplicate account and 0 post members who have voted yes.,

Quote:
I hope the one who protests too much is investigating those. Not holding my breath.

Ghetto forum? Like Foamies (Kits) and Foamies (Scratchbuilt) forums?

To bring model building back we all need to pass on what we know to the younger generation. Get them started young. I have seen some of you on this thread do that.
Yeah, I know for certain that there are members who have helped youngsters get started with building. I can definitely count some of those folks (including myself) in those who you have incorrectly included in your list as being "0 posters, foam builders or people who never build anything".

Quote:
Robert
Thanks Robert, for a post that demonstrates the flaws in the argument that you present and, yet again, attempts to make the issue personal.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Last edited by leccyflyer; Jun 11, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Closed Thread