SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old May 26, 2012, 06:17 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,425 Posts
...I did find one of these in the bottom of the box, though...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2012, 06:38 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,656 Posts
Cool, a Keith Richards troll in every kit . Who'd a thunk it.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Last edited by HELModels; May 26, 2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old May 26, 2012, 07:02 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,425 Posts
Cornflakes have been doing it for years... LoL

BJ
Old May 26, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Aug 2007
101 Posts
where to find good short kits?

There are plenty of lists there. I was reading through the Model Aviation June magazine and stumble upon the SMALL article and Pat Tritle models.

Anyone built these kits?
Garuda is offline Find More Posts by Garuda
Old May 26, 2012, 06:59 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
Cool, a Keith Richards troll in every kit . Who'd a thunk it.
He got the part due to connections in Hollyweird. His daughter's.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 26, 2012, 07:00 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
There are plenty of lists there. I was reading through the Model Aviation June magazine and stumble upon the SMALL article and Pat Tritle models.

Anyone built these kits?
Pat's kits are fantastic. Also very good are Tom Herr's kits, sold by Sig. And as I mentioned before, Stevens Aero simply can't be beat.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 27, 2012, 01:25 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garuda View Post

Anyone built these kits?
Go to the Search, (near the top of the page), type, Trittle, set it to Show Threads, click Go.

There are 26 threads with Trittle in their titles, (shows just how popular he is), plus there must be loads more threads on Trittle designs where they forgot to add his name.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 28, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,509 Posts
IMHO, a builder flies more carefully and can repair minor damage. I think they'd definitely lose some ARF sales if they converted a few more people to builder kits.
Nergall is offline Find More Posts by Nergall
Old May 29, 2012, 10:23 AM
Fly fast, turn left
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergall View Post
IMHO, a builder flies more carefully and can repair minor damage. I think they'd definitely lose some ARF sales if they converted a few more people to builder kits.
I don't know about the first part here. Years ago, the most experienced flyer on the field was the one to put planes into the ground more than the rest of us combined. He was also the one to show the least respect for someone else's plane, and there was a lot of "Let me try that for a minute", nobody refused. Once, my Smoothie developed aileron flutter while he was flying it, instead of landing and let me try to see what the problem was, three more high speed passes with the aileron fluttering like crazy. Nothing but a loose connector, took half a minute to find and fix, but if that aileron had torn off, would have been bad. After that, he didn't try my planes again. Let him wreck his own, and he did, often.

Rich
Greybeard01 is offline Find More Posts by Greybeard01
Old May 29, 2012, 02:24 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,438 Posts
Rich , I think that you will always find exceptions to the rule if you look hard enough ,but cases like that would be in the few rather than the many .If its got wings I've had a go at flying it, I've taught many people to fly and always respect their aircraft ,I believe and always have in the idea of there is no such thing as a dumb question (only dumb answers). I've always been a builder and have never actually opened a box of an arf .I freely pass on knowledge that I have gained over the years ,I have always thought knowledge is useless unless its passed on. I like to believe that I'm just 1 of the many rather than the few.
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Last edited by steve wenban; May 29, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:09 PM
Fly fast, turn left
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban View Post
Rich , I think that you will always find exceptions to the rule if you look hard enough ,but cases like that would be in the few rather than the many .If its got wings I've had a go at flying it, I've taught many people to fly and always respect their aircraft ,I believe and always have in the idea of there is no such thing as a dumb question (only dumb answers). I've always been a builder and have never actually opened a box of an arf .I freely pass on knowledge that I have gained over the years ,I have always thought knowledge is useless unless its passed on. I like to believe that I'm just 1 of the many rather than the few.
Nothing there I'd disagree with. Yes, he was the exception, but he's moved on to some place where he's apparently found like minds. He's also gone into flying turbos, which I've never seen and I'm not sure I want to. Turbojet crashes are supposed to be spectacular though.

Some things that might have turned of some from building rather than buying, and this flyer was enthusiastic about not building. I had BUSA Swizzle Stick, and nobody is going to say it's a beautiful plane, because beautiful is what it isn't. It is a good three channel trainer as it comes, if you want to do a little more work and add ailerons, flies well four channel. Builds fast, and it's rugged. I know I have to have trained at least a dozen kids to fly with that thing as a three channel, none had any problem with it, none had any problem moving to something 4 channel either. By kids I mean 12 to 17 years old, but they would listen when I offered advice. Once they could handle the stick, then time to build something themselves, and it was usually what I'm working on now, on the line of a small Ugly Stick with a flat bottom airfoil, 4 channel, .19 power.

But from that simple 4 channel trainer, with a lot of modifications, each one I've built has been different in one way or another. The one I'm building now is the only one I've really had any doubts, I keep making it lighter, which means one hard landing might be the last landing, I keep telling myself I'm building to fly, not to crash. (And I'm not kidding myself either, both are going to happen sooner or later.) So far, every modification has given a better flying plane, but it's based on an old design, and there will come the point, which maybe I've already passed, when there isn't much more to get out of it.

Facts, it's going to take me longer to cover and dope it than it did to make the airframe, but the airframe cost is somewhere around $20, meaning most of the expense comes with finishing, radio, engine and what else is needed. Not using one of the plastic covering materials, using a now discontinued Stitts cloth, I like tough. Flying speed is probably in the 45 to 60 MPH range, full bore, but getting the landing speed down is one of the reasons for the modifications. As per the original plan, it's a lead sled. Adding 4 inches to the span was better, so this time I added 5 inches. None of which I could have done with an RTF or ARF.

Rich.
Greybeard01 is offline Find More Posts by Greybeard01
Old May 31, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,425 Posts
I still reckon that to get ppl into building, we have to lose this "us and them" mentality.

Nothing anyone else does or has is better than anything someone else has.

You guys who have been scratch/hand building for decades probably don't realise the true skills you posses. Passing that down to the next generation is the challenge.

To me, I don't give a rats who's flying what - or why. Sure, there's "better" flyers out there. "Better" planes. "Better" equipment. Etc.

But we're all in it for the joy it brings us. And for whatever the reason behind that joy is.

If the first thing you ever flew was your own designed hand build, then huge kudos to you.

But...we live in an age where time, patience, and money is limited. For those who like to fast-path their RC flight experience by going a 'cheap HobbyKing foamie', I say "good on ya". You've taken the first step.

When it all turns to turd and they're about to chuck it in the nearest bin and give up the hobby for good is the time to say "Hey - yanno what? I reckon we can fix that". Ok, so it's a bit idealistic - some prangs aren't recoverable.

But when you fish that seemingly mangled wreck out of the bin and show them how to get it to fly again (forget about the looks), then you have passed on some of your knowledge and wisdom regarding "repairing".

And repairing is still 'building' in my books.

Once the seed has been planted, the tree can grow.

It's not so much a fact that building is dying - I see it more as a gap between those who have the knowledge and don't know how to pass that on down the line, and those who are just plain dumb like me but want to learn.

Does it really matter if it's an ARF... RTF... balsa... foamie... electric...IC... slope-soarer? Hand built or store-bought?

If they're already out there giving it a red-hot go, they're obviously interested in RC.

Where they go from there is up to the support they get by those around them. A few kind words from a more experienced fellow flier can go a long way sometimes.

Just my opinion, mind you, but if you think building is a dying art - how much work have you put in to trying to pass your skills on?

We're not born with the gift of being able to fly RC, nor build.

It's something we choose to learn - to whatever level using whatever aircraft we decide on, and the tools and techniques we learn along the way.

The joy we get from flying and encouragement from our fellow fliers can often determine how long we persue the hobby - or not.

JMO

BJ
Old May 31, 2012, 11:39 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
BJ64 ,i agree with most of what you said but as far as us and them, i might joke about arfs but in my mind i realy dont care what others are flying as long as they are not trying to convince me to buy one.lol I also think that we all can build a plane ,all it takes is the will to start one and a little help. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old May 31, 2012, 02:44 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
BJ64 ,i agree with most of what you said but as far as us and them, i might joke about arfs but in my mind i realy dont care what others are flying as long as they are not trying to convince me to buy one.lol I also think that we all can build a plane ,all it takes is the will to start one and a little help. joe
That also works two ways. Perhaps the ARF guys don't like being told they should build, not buy, by some forum members.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 31, 2012, 03:05 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
The only time i tell a arf guy to build is when they want one of my planes and they dont make a arf of it. Alot of builders i know making scratch built planes for those who say they have no time or skills and charging big money for them. I wont build for others ,i dont have enough time to build for myself as it is. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Closed Thread