Closed Thread
Old May 22, 2012, 07:49 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
...I have come to a point in my life where i dont care if they dont like what i fly or not , if it makes me happy thats all that counts....
Bingo!

There's the money-shot... right-on

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban View Post
Dave's not here man
No... I'm Dave... listen...don't answer the door, man...

BJ
Old May 22, 2012, 09:29 AM
Fly fast, turn left
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Bingo!

There's the money-shot... right-on

BJ
Go the other way, build something so ugly people pay you to leave it in the car.

Cheers
Greybeard01 is offline Find More Posts by Greybeard01
Old May 22, 2012, 11:05 AM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
I can not be critical of light drugs as we really had dope ourselves in the old days It was an ingrained neccessity of the hobby then..Even if you did not realise it. That dope was a substitute for weed perhaps. We brushed it on of course. Coat after coat.

My mother once said years later that she well understood us building planes when we used it.

In the basement usually with the windows closed was not unusual. This is what probably caused the brain damage I have. Iron on coverings where never the same.

I still have a lot of aero gloss coloured dope in bottles around here somewhere. Still liquid in the bottles 40 years or more later. Some of those bottles must go back 60 years come to think of it. The quart cans of clear randolf dope are all gone.

The reason I know it is still around here is my daughter found the box several years ago and asked me if I ever used dope. It does say aero gloss dope on the bottles remember. What could I say?
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Last edited by barry wilson; May 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old May 23, 2012, 07:42 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,209 Posts
...my penchant was sniffing that wonderful diesel Ether from years ago...

That... and some wonderful chloroform-based auto touch-up paint.

Oh... and I love the smell of freshly burnt Jet-A1 in the mornings...

BJ
Old May 23, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,209 Posts
BTW - welcome back to the Hobby, Greybeard

Lots has probably changed since you last strapped a Trannie on and flicked a few rolls and spilts.

I have to admit that up until now, I've been one of this hideous foamie and ARF balsa boyz

But...but... I've seen the light

Well, a glint...

I must admit that building a basic fuze out of raw balsa has got a certain satisfaction about it. Not sure how much further I'll go down this path - though I just opened the box to my new Easy Built Catalina that arrived yesterday, and I noticed a few printed 3-ply boards. The rest is balsa sheets and bits & bobs and a couple of plans. Looks like I'll have my work 'cut out' for me to get this sucker finished...

BJ
Old May 23, 2012, 08:49 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,897 Posts
Now a thing of nightmares to me, ......a sheet of balsa with printed formers and ribs, with thousands and thousands of notches to cut out for the stringers.

It brings me out in a sweat just thinking about some of the old kits I used to build.
For anyone who still does it, my admiration goes out to you.

There was also the later die stamped kit 'improvement', where you still needed to cut through most of the die cuts as they either left too much uncut, or did a great job of just squashing the balsa.

I even gave up on a Guillow's B-17 kit I got as a present not long back. I just didn't have the patience to do a good job. 50+ years of model building has made me appreciate more and more, KISS, (keep it simple stupid).

But a well built, intricate balsa build is a work of art to me. It's almost a shame to cover some of them.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 23, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Now a thing of nightmares to me, ......a sheet of balsa with printed formers and ribs, with thousands and thousands of notches to cut out for the stringers. ...
Nup - not a single (laser-cut) notch in anything...

Just the main 3-ply formers have any printing on them. Scroll-saw job from there (joy! )

All the balsa is clean - have to use the plan to first template over it, then cut it all by hand. Every single wing rib (more joy!).

I'm sure I'll get shot down now by some of the real 'die hards' by words along the lines of "What? You've got a PLAN?!? - hell no... that's cheating!" LoL

BJ
Old May 23, 2012, 10:21 AM
Fly fast, turn left
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Now a thing of nightmares to me, ......a sheet of balsa with printed formers and ribs, with thousands and thousands of notches to cut out for the stringers.

It brings me out in a sweat just thinking about some of the old kits I used to build.
For anyone who still does it, my admiration goes out to you.

There was also the later die stamped kit 'improvement', where you still needed to cut through most of the die cuts as they either left too much uncut, or did a great job of just squashing the balsa.

I even gave up on a Guillow's B-17 kit I got as a present not long back. I just didn't have the patience to do a good job. 50+ years of model building has made me appreciate more and more, KISS, (keep it simple stupid).

But a well built, intricate balsa build is a work of art to me. It's almost a shame to cover some of them.
Stringer notches. Helps to have the proper tool for cutting them, the old carbon steel double edge razor blade cut in half and carefully broken to have that lovely sharp point. Unobtainium now, but I have some left, which I guard with my life.

Die "cut" (smashed). Guillows had to be the king of die smashing, and probably hasn't given up that title. Although I think Sterling wasn't far behind. Give me good print wood instead, thank you very much. Standard advice for the Guillows kits was: open box, remove plans, cowl, thrust bearing and wheels. Discard wood, start from scratch. Use plastic cowl as pattern to carve from balsa block.

The "Good old days". Maybe not as good as they sound, but there were a lot of fantastic craftsmen making models that were real works of art. Building your own designs, you're not locked into someone elses ideas, and chances are your own ideas are as good as anyone else could come up with.

Techniques, not as hard to learn or develop your own as it might sound, Some 25 or so years ago, Jim Noonan was examining one of my planes, an Earl Stahl Taylorcraft. The highest compliment anyone has ever given me, "I don't like your covering material, but I have to say you're a master at working with it." You only had to see one of his own models to understand that. Jim was a master at building and covering. One of the true gentlemen few will ever get to sit and talk with. The covering material was kit grade tissue, not the good stuff.

But, colored tissue over a stick and former frame, with the light shining through it as it went overhead could be a beautiful thing, a real work of art. Just not my own.

Cheers.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
Fly fast, turn left
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Nup - not a single (laser-cut) notch in anything...

I'm sure I'll get shot down now by some of the real 'die hards' by words along the lines of "What? You've got a PLAN?!? - hell no... that's cheating!" LoL

BJ
Not from this quarter. The man that builds without a plan will get, as I did, instead of a Staggerwing Beech, a staggering (word that sounds similar same number of letters, commonly referring to a female canine.). Looked good on the ground, would send people under their cars when it was in the air.

While you're cutting, cut two or three of everything, kits for future use.

Or something to infect someone else with the building bug.

Cheers
Old May 23, 2012, 11:19 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard01 View Post
Not from this quarter. The man that builds without a plan will get, as I did, instead of a Staggerwing Beech, a staggering (word that sounds similar same number of letters, commonly referring to a female canine.). Looked good on the ground, would send people under their cars when it was in the air.

While you're cutting, cut two or three of everything, kits for future use.

Or something to infect someone else with the building bug.

Cheers
I wish i could learn more on this computer so i could realy spend some money on a lazer but i have finaly come to realize its not in the cards.lol I enjoy cutting all my parts out by hand and fine tunning with sandpaper. I still own a few kits with the printing on the wood and some die crushed ones but its relaxing for me to cut stuff out. I just sent King cunsulting a foam kit ,i was cutting me another plane out of fanfold and he has no fanfold in CA .To me its just as much fun making a kit than building them and flying them .I did not feel this way when i was younger but now i do. joe
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old May 23, 2012, 11:56 AM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard01 View Post
Stringer notches. Helps to have the proper tool for cutting them, the old carbon steel double edge razor blade cut in half and carefully broken to have that lovely sharp point. Unobtainium now, but I have some left, which I guard with my life.

Die "cut" (smashed). Guillows had to be the king of die smashing, and probably hasn't given up that title. Although I think Sterling wasn't far behind. Give me good print wood instead, thank you very much. Standard advice for the Guillows kits was: open box, remove plans, cowl, thrust bearing and wheels. Discard wood, start from scratch. Use plastic cowl as pattern to carve from balsa block.

The "Good old days". Maybe not as good as they sound, but there were a lot of fantastic craftsmen making models that were real works of art. Building your own designs, you're not locked into someone elses ideas, and chances are your own ideas are as good as anyone else could come up with.

Also if you do not know or have not tried them for stick building there are some model specific pins out there that are far better than the conventional pins. The shaft is thinner and the starting taper is elongated substantually. Hobby lobby has them but their shipping to Canada is murder. There are other sources. I do not mind mentioning a retailers name if I feel the ;product is superior in my opinion. I also have been very happy over the years with the balsa stripper they still sell as well. To me it is far better than what others sell.

Techniques, not as hard to learn or develop your own as it might sound, Some 25 or so years ago, Jim Noonan was examining one of my planes, an Earl Stahl Taylorcraft. The highest compliment anyone has ever given me, "I don't like your covering material, but I have to say you're a master at working with it." You only had to see one of his own models to understand that. Jim was a master at building and covering. One of the true gentlemen few will ever get to sit and talk with. The covering material was kit grade tissue, not the good stuff.

But, colored tissue over a stick and former frame, with the light shining through it as it went overhead could be a beautiful thing, a real work of art. Just not my own.

Cheers.
Found my old double edged safety razor quite some time ago. As you say locally no blades in north america. Or if you located some probably an arm and a leg for them.

Ebay cheap from India delivered. Lots of vendors so perhaps they still use them over there. Same brands of blades we once knew as well.

Not a bad shave all things considered. Especially if you truly manage not to shave for a few days. You can turn the handle and wash any retained whiskers away. The disposables in my experience seriously lack in that area.

So all is not lost. Current sharpness is and was about what I remember as well. The original north american production equipment probably went to India instead of China. The razor blade is composed of layers of different metal hardness for those that do not know. This enables sharpness and flexability it is hard to if not impossible to obtain with blades. of only one metal.

Low quantities available. Three dollars delivered for a package of perhaps 10 blades rings a bell. It has been awhile though so allow for that. The double edged blades general advantage is they are much thinner in cross section in comparison to single edged blades with a spine.

I do not know if others did but I used to use them with both edges intact. Probably got less cuts than when using them for shaving since. Exacto knife blades where very dull by comparison or their thicker cross section made a signifigant difference. I have never used a surgical scapel but imagine it may have a thinner cross section. A blade with a thinner cross section seems to cut easier to me at least.

One of my favorite tools was and is the razor saw with a high teeth count. The exacto ones seemed to me to be good enough. . Hard to wear them out in modelbuilding.

Last but not least by far is the older style razor plane that uses double edged blades as well. A really useful tool if you get one that works well. I have several different brands and they are far from equal. Exacto seems to have gotten that right as well.

I should also add that the thin tappered hobby pins and balsa stripper that hobby lobby still sell are in my opinion the best by far. In my mind it is okay to mention a retailer that has what appears to me a superior product. The balsa stripper is not as cheap as it was though. It never was a five dollar item though.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Last edited by barry wilson; May 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Sep 2006
887 Posts
hey guys I would like to build my own trainer I would like something with ailerons so I dont have to upgrade or something I can build 3 sets of wings for and go from 3 channel to 4 with dihedral then to a straight wing and I would like it to be electric. I am also looking at building a Fi-156 Fieseler STORCH from estar for my second plane do you think its an easy enough build for someone with experience building boats?

I just have to have one of these
hazegry is offline Find More Posts by hazegry
Old May 23, 2012, 08:39 PM
Richard Cox
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Dec 2003
644 Posts
Not only was the die crunching horrible, but the wood could be better used for baseball bats.
Replace with contest balsa and your plane will be 1/3 to 1/2 the weight, and maybe even fly.
Richard Cox is offline Find More Posts by Richard Cox
Old May 23, 2012, 08:44 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,319 Posts
70's tidewater pronto is a nice 3 channel plane .Some have converted to electrict with great succes. They have also built another wing with ail. Mine is a pronto surpreme with ail and a 20 old school k+b nitro motor on her. Its a great little plane and fun to build. joe
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Closed Thread