HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 19, 2012, 01:42 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
I was absolutely privileged to see 'Ido' (World 3D Champ) chuck a plane up and do his thing at our local "field". Those sorts of displays are truly humbling. As was Ido himself - open, honest, and frank. Talk to you like you were one of the guys.
That's exactly how it is at my field, except the world and national champs and inventor of 3D fly here all the time, and are just as personable as can be. If you didn't know their names you'd think they were just average guys, albeit with unbelievable flying skills.

I think a large part of the greatness of these guys is their humility, helpfulness, and encouragement to guys like me, who thumbs are not anywhere near as capable.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 05:10 PM
Fly fast, turn left
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
Hmm. Maybe just after signing on the groups, I shouldn't be offering anything. But, just because I just signed on doesn't mean I'm a beginner, and haven't seen a lot of problems that are caused by "progress", which to me is progress in reverse.

Started building and flying models at nine years old, that was sixty one years ago. Went from rubber, to HLG, to CL, on to "bang bang", pulse rudder ad nauseum. Went into RC, found other guys that thought having our own field would be a good idea, even though I'm less than twenty minutes from Bong. When proportional came down in price to where I could afford it, got into that, but!

The first thing I ran into was some of the other guys didn't like my planes, I'm not a pattern flyer, and something 1/2A can be just as much fun and challenging as a full bore .60 pattern ship. Oh, well, so I go have fun anyhow. But the guys didn't like how I flew, I think two and a half mistakes is quite low enough, meaning the high speed low pass everyone drooled over, not for me.

I scratched more than I built from kits, and I'm at it again, a modification of the old Midwest Royal Coachman. Enough modified it may look like the Coachman, but it won't fly like one. However, that's neither here nor there, I have a couple of others I have the plans for that will be on the building board soon. Santich's Magnum 40 and the RCM Basic Bipe.

None of which were acceptable at the field, too ugly, not fast enough, and I still like flying high enough to make up for "dumb thumbs".

I'll say I was out of RC completely for twenty years until now, and the bug is biting, added to the fact that not one of the original members of that RC club is still in the club, I'm aware only of two that are still flying anything. The club is still there, and with all new people, I'm not sure my reception would be any better than it was when we formed it.

I may try the club again, and I may try Bong, they have a nice field there with paved runways now. I can't say for either one of them, and I don't know what's being flown, and how it's being flown. Bong, the last time I was there, there were probably six or seven flying there, it's not a club but a public park with only about 4000 acres on which to spread your wreckage when you do something dumb. Of the planes I saw, not one kit or scratch built was on the field. ARF, RTF, foamies, but no builders. Considering this is where I met Joe Konefes, Jim Noonan, Eddie Konefes, Mitch Post and a host of well known modelers, it would seem to me that there might be at least one or two builders there. Time will tell, and maybe I can stir some interest, at least to make someone think about trying to build something.

CHeers.
Greybeard01 is offline Find More Posts by Greybeard01
Old May 21, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
Welcome Greybeard!

I was away from it for about 25 years and boy things have changed since then as I'm sure you have found out. I really think it's growing quite a bit. People are getting into the hobby with ARF's and cheap gear. Now hopefully those ARF flyers will get the passion to build their own thing. I think starting them young is the way to go and my son has been itching to build his own out of balsa.

Anyway nice to see you here! What part of the country are you in? Or world for that matter

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old May 21, 2012, 06:42 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,436 Posts
Yes welcome back Grey beard , I've never been away from the hobby in 45 years but can imagine what it would be like to return and see the changes made. My own son started at 5 years old flying control line and I kept him at it for all these years he's 33 now and a builder in his own right . So yes start young and keep them keen , however that also works with the not so young . If you advise them once they break their ARF/RTF on the best and easiest way to repair it then the building seed may be planted and properly urged to grow they will continue on the building path . Like I said my advice when first asked is buy what you can afford and start from there
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old May 21, 2012, 07:43 PM
Fly fast, turn left
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
Welcome Greybeard!
Anyway nice to see you here! What part of the country are you in? Or world for that matter

Robert
I'm about thirty miles south west of MIlwaukee. Thought Bong would give that away, most of the FF people know about it, and I've had the chance over the years to meet a lot of the people I used to read about, see their plans in the mags, back when I was a kid. Using the formal name for it, the Richard I. Bong State Recreation Area is an abandoned airbase that was never finished, shut down the day before they would have started pouring runways. Ten thousand foot runways, so that's a lot of flat, open ground now even after at least thirty five years. Seven square miles on which to have your airplanes roam, and the FF guys do. It ain't Utopia, chasing a wayward model through swamps isn't really fun, and it seems model airplanes search for the swampy ground to come down in. But the RC field has paved crossed runways.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
Well I'm in CA so was thinking of a different bong not the famous pilot so I didn't say anything

From what I have read here on RC groups I see a lot of people coming back after 20+ years away. Not sure why but that is still neat. I would imagine a lot of those people have built planes in the past such as yourself.

The only FF I did was when I was a kid tossing those Guillows ones you buy at the candy store which was pretty fun at the time. We had family and neighbors over yesterday for a little get together and my son had the two younger boys out in our street making paper airplanes. That is great to see.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard01 View Post
I'm about thirty miles south west of MIlwaukee. Thought Bong would give that away, most of the FF people know about it, and I've had the chance over the years to meet a lot of the people I used to read about, see their plans in the mags, back when I was a kid. Using the formal name for it, the Richard I. Bong State Recreation Area is an abandoned airbase that was never finished, shut down the day before they would have started pouring runways. Ten thousand foot runways, so that's a lot of flat, open ground now even after at least thirty five years. Seven square miles on which to have your airplanes roam, and the FF guys do. It ain't Utopia, chasing a wayward model through swamps isn't really fun, and it seems model airplanes search for the swampy ground to come down in. But the RC field has paved crossed runways.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2012, 08:08 PM
Fly fast, turn left
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban View Post
Yes welcome back Grey beard , I've never been away from the hobby in 45 years but can imagine what it would be like to return and see the changes made. My own son started at 5 years old flying control line and I kept him at it for all these years he's 33 now and a builder in his own right . So yes start young and keep them keen , however that also works with the not so young . If you advise them once they break their ARF/RTF on the best and easiest way to repair it then the building seed may be planted and properly urged to grow they will continue on the building path . Like I said my advice when first asked is buy what you can afford and start from there
Thanks fer de welcome. Yes, a lot of changes, but I've never been completely isolated from models, just not active for that time. I've still got most of the stuff, not the planes, they were gone a long time ago, knowing who bought them, in the trash after the crash not long after then, but we mention no names.

Reading some of the responses on you tube, there are a lot of misconceptions by the foamy fliers, one being that "months to build and then wipe it out on the first flight". Umm, sorry, but from starting with the plans to having a modified Royal Coachman almost ready to cover, four hours total. Still have to mount the radio, install the servos, and as the old rule goes, when 90% of the work is done, you only have 80% left to do. Also, one shouldn't build what he can't handle. Until he can.

Sticker shock is more than the changes, A Balsa USA Smoothie at the time I had them was (I think) in the twenty dollar range. As soon as my credit card recovers from my helicopter splurge, I'll probably order another one, good flying plane, maybe a little quick for old reflexes, which remains to be seen. Building is at a standstill right now, no hobby shop in town and I need some 1/32 acft ply, stuck until I get it. Balsa USA probably, phone call, and I'll have it in a few days, or that's how it used to work. K&B .40 is a little more pricey than I remember, going to need another one before I'm done. Fuel is more, balsa is more, although maybe not that much as it could be.

Cheers
Old May 21, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard01 View Post

Cheers.
Welcome to RCG and back to the hobby greybeard ,as a young lad i painted alot of homes in Milwaukee on spring break for my uncle who owned a painting co about 5 blocks from the state fair park..Its a nice area up there. I fly mostly what i have scratch built at my clubs field, big stuff and small foam planes . Most of my fellow club members are flying big arf 3-d planes with DA200 cc motors in them but they are always interested in what iam building and flying for some reason. I have come to a point in my life where i dont care if they dont like what i fly or not , if it makes me happy thats all that counts. Again welcome sir. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old May 21, 2012, 09:56 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
Well I'm in CA so was thinking of a different bong not the famous pilot so I didn't say anything
A little too much Cheech & Chong in the young days, Robert?

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old May 21, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
Nah not me. Not my cup of tea even when I was younger. I do see stores around that sell it and didn't know what a green cross meant. My daughter had to tell me.

Now I did have all the Cheech & Chong albums even the one with the rolling paper errrr poster.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
A little too much Cheech & Chong in the young days, Robert?

Andy
Old May 21, 2012, 10:25 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,233 Posts
My brother was a Cheech and Chong fan. He got me into Monty Python too. I never did the stuff either, but they sure were funny!

My mother would kill him if she knew!

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old May 21, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
My brother and I could recite most of their albums. Parents didn't have a clue. They did confiscate my Richard Pryor record because of the "bad words" LOL

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
My brother was a Cheech and Chong fan. He got me into Monty Python too. I never did the stuff either, but they sure were funny!

My mother would kill him if she knew!

Andy
Old May 21, 2012, 11:53 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Not so different back then to today
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old May 22, 2012, 12:04 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,436 Posts
Dave's not here man
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old May 22, 2012, 02:34 AM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Well i am going to start drawing up my own plans for a vans rv7 a in a td config. Ive got two lots of three views so once i finish this assignment i will start drawing
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Closed Thread