SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:29 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I have some old copies of FM that I got from a friend who subscribed in the 60 and 70s. One article in particular that stood out for me, was a build of the Pfalz DIIIa by Alan Spevak done in 1973, or so. This is a collectors item, for those of us, who love WW1 Aeroplanes! The artricle is well written and excites me to build, when I re-read it again, for the umteenth time!

I subscribed to RCM from around 1975 until 1990 or so. A few years ago, I went up into the rafters in my garage and pulled down sacks of these magazines and simply threw them away! I am so sorry I did this, as these magazines contained the very best build articles their may have ever been!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:00 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
I'm probably one of the younger builders viewing this thread and would like to add my two cents. I'm 33 years old and have been building since I was 7, and I'm not so sure the art of model building is on the wain. A previous poster listed all of the various kit suppliers currently in business- several of which are newer companies. The internet has provided a platform for a whole new crop of niche type model companies using cad and laser CNC tools to produce high quality,low overhead model kits with a direct connection to their customers across the globe. Ray Hayes at www.skybench.com comes to mind. Furthermore, there is very large and growing community comprised mainly of 20 and 30 something year olds who are discovering or re-discovering the joys of building all types of things from custom computer cases, to CAD designed Ipod docks, to.... RC model aircraft. We are known as "makers" and one of the hubs of this community can be found at http://blog.makezine.com/. This community of dedicated DIY'ers and kit builders will be making their mark on our newly "adjusted" economy over the coming years. One last note- I love my Xbox 360, laptop, 42" Plasma HDTV, smartphone, Ipod, DVD's, and my gameboy. However, I also love my scratch built Chuperosa HLG, my Kestral, my kit built Oly 650, and the half built Bird of Time that's on my bench right now. (I took a break from building tonight to surf and post on my favorite web site- RCG!)

N.
nolebotic is offline Find More Posts by nolebotic
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Hi N,

I get a 'Page not Found' for that second link?
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:07 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
fixed that- sorry chuck. http://blog.makezine.com
nolebotic is offline Find More Posts by nolebotic
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Woah..... great site!

Thanks for the link...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Sep 28, 2009, 07:25 AM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,348 Posts
When I was a kid, I wanted to get into flying models, but didn't want the hassle of having to build them. I simply recall my dad messing around with several smaller 2-stroke engines and such. I'd get off the school bus, and a quarter mile away you could hear those little engines just howling (though he did use mufflers, much to the neighbor's satisfaction). I was always terrified of those little engines, having seen a few photos of people who let their hand slip into the prop for one reason or another. But I still mowed lawns and saved up for my own plane.

While my Dad's Eaglet .15 (or whatever it was) was cool, I eventually settle on a US Aircore Trainer .40, those corrugated plastic planes. Pretty close to an ARF back then, I thought, and figured it would get me in the air for cheap. Plus, I could slide out the control shelf and swap it into other planes, so I could have a whole fleet with just one receiver, engine, fuel tank and servos (minus the aileron servo)!!! Great for a 12-13 year old kid.

Well, we moved, and that plane got boxed up, never to be completed (I've still got it somewhere). At about 16, a buddy of mine showed me a little Guillows 24" Piper model he'd built, and I figured I'd have a go. Turns out I LOVED to build!!! So I went from one extreme (no interest in building at all) to the other. Built a number of those Guillow kits, and even entered into the Science Olympiad competition two years in a row in high school, even winning one of 'em (sort of by luck, though). I haven't built much in quite a while (other hobbies have come up, not to mention college and full-time work), but at 23, I'm finally getting the bug again, and have been trying to get things setup so I can start building again. So there's some hope left. I have quite a few kits saved up, just trying to find the space to build, and the time to do it. Time is a hard thing to find, but I'm slowly finding it. Once I can afford flight school, it might get slim again, but flying full-scale tops models, in my book. Though I still plan to build whenever I can regardless.
KnifeEdge51 is online now Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old Sep 28, 2009, 02:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I had my pilots license back from 1980 to 1984, haven't been current since. A wet airplane back then cost from $27.00 to $35.00 per hour. Towords the end, every time I landed I thought, Man, I could have bought something for R/C for that money! I live in rural-northern MN, prices were/are cheaper up here. It was good prices were cheaper, but, then there were no double I instructers available to take me further into flying, so I lost interest.
Last edited by Mode One; Sep 28, 2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 05:04 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Hey Guys,

You might be interested in this. Not your fathers ARFs...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7164510/tm.htm

Joe

www.thecaterhamproject.com
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:21 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,344 Posts
Well gang, I’ve contemplated the plans for the Bridi Advanced Trainer (.40-.60) for a few days now. My idea was to consider a design that could be “the” basic club trainer and a basic first-build model. Further, I thought that this model would be one that clubs could have on hand as basic and intermediate trainers for their designated instructors for demo flights for those interested in the hobby and new fliers getting into the hobby.

Although the Bridi Trainer was first offered in the early 1970s, it doesn’t disappoint. It utilizes a symmetrical airfoil that will bring the beginner well into the intermediate ranks. This trainer model is built like a tank and should serve many a beginner and novice.

At this point, considering the information highway, is a to adapt the features of the Bridi trainer design to four configurations.

1- basic trainer with dihedral.
2- advanced trainer - no dihedral (second wing - same fuselage)
3- advanced trainer - no dihedral (second wing - same fuselage) taildragger configuration.
4- sport model - no dihedral (second wing - same fuselage) taildragger configuration. .60 engine.

Free plans available via “sticky” in beginners forum.

More than enough modelers here to help with coming up with a CAD design and file...

Let’s move the hobby onto the next level.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:57 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,352 Posts
I'm doing my part in keeping the "model building" spirit alive, considering this is all scratch built and hand cut parts and about $600 in balsa wood alone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...f/outside1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...letebottom.jpg
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:36 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I never felt the small amount of dihedral in my RCM trainer to be a hinderance in any way. I'm uncertain why you would want to remove it. No dihedral may appear to look like annihedral and I don't think it would improve Knife edge flight for this airplane.

However, I've never flown mine with a flat wing, so maybe it would be interesting!
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:07 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One
I'm uncertain why you would want to remove it. No dihedral may appear to look like annihedral and I don't think it would improve Knife edge flight for this airplane.

However, I've never flown mine with a flat wing, so maybe it would be interesting!
Dihedral provides lateral stability, and removing it makes the aircraft more roll sensitive. Just to pep things up a little...

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Sep 30, 2009, 01:35 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
My RCM trainer was pretty peppey as it was. Did nice axial rolls, snaps and loops. However, since all it entails is building another wing, I'd say have a go at it.

The one thing that did happen to my original RCM Trainer is; my instructor put it in a spin and could not get it out! He had plenty of time and did try many things: neutral elevator, opposite ailerons and rudder and increased throttle, nothing helped! The balance point on that airplane was at the recommended CG, as per the plans. I noticed when Great Planes produced this kit, they split the elevator in half and ran the rudder down to the bottom of the fuselage. The original designs rudder may have been blanketed by the stabilizer in a spin. The second RCM trainer I built, I spun many times and never had a problem with this again, so I really can't say what the problem was with my original.
Last edited by Mode One; Oct 01, 2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Someone asked a while back what I would suggest doing to bring modeling back. I took the question as inferring I was all talk and no action and ignored the question, as since I started this thread, I think that is action enough on the subject that this person's question was baseless!

However, I think the building threads are great ways to increase interest. In my club, I started a Builder's Contest to promote building and I talk up building to all the members of my club when given half a chance! I also talk up the subject often here on RCGroups at wherever people are involved in this aspect of the hobby. I don't think I'm going to spend much more time discussing what I do; or, will do, as the idea behind starting this thread was to open up dialog on the subject and not be a one person spokesman about the fun of building!
Last edited by Mode One; Oct 01, 2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:19 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,460 Posts
Building requires an attention span... In general kids today don't have one. Ride in the car with a teen and they can't even listen to an entire song.. They get bored with it half (if that) way thorugh and change the station, etc. It's an immediate gratification society and manufacturers are catering to that idea. Open the box, charge the batteries and fly. I have a theory that everything always moves to the opposite.. so after a few more years of ARFs, I tink threre will be a movement to wanting more in terms of creativity and actually having a connection to your plane like the old days and participants will want mor e of this. I don't see a large shift but I do see building making a comeback in the coming years.

I do find that terminology is changing in that ARFs are considiered building now. We had a guy in our club sell his NIB foamy b/c he didn't have time to "build" it!
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Closed Thread