Closed Thread
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:09 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I have every confidence in what you've done, Earl.

I did the same thing, in a similar situation. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...513666&page=12

Mine was a retrofit, after it was decided that the kit's designed wasn't suitable.
Ahh yes, but yours goes through 7 ribs, which have all been doubled with what looks like jigsaw peices!
Curare is online now Find More Posts by Curare
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:05 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,199 Posts
So Curare.do you think I should remove the tube,and just use the two bolts through two ribs as originally designed?
I seriously think my way is stronger.If I install the wing with two bolts,there is NO resistance to bending ,absent the struts....but WITH the tubes,the wing supports itself until the strut can be installed....Currently,I have the added strength of the tube,plus the support of the struts,which seems 'bullet proof 'to me.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Apr 08, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
the dilemma in bringing back model building is how to do so with out the need of razor blade knifes. I could easily buy 30 kits and gift them to christmas charities, but the kids cant complete them without those knifes. ouch! now if we had kits for kids. maybe an old fashion glider they can toss or sling shot with a long rubber band then we might get somewhere. a kit that only takes 4 to 5 days to build. i know of no kits. lets see 30 kits, 20 get started, 5 get completed (maybe 3). thats not bad. even kits not completed still intrigue the youngsters minds with thoughts of flight. anyways. find that kit and ill buy 30 to give away for christmas for kids.
paulatgis is offline Find More Posts by paulatgis
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:17 AM
St Clair Shores, Michigan
Joined Jan 2008
84 Posts
Well, Paulatgis, you are right about giving razors to unsupervised kids....

Without starting a firestorm (please), I started building at 7 with razor blades. I consider myself lucky that my good old Dad had the sense to know, one has to learn. But my Dad was there to show me and keep an eye on me to start it out... my impression (this was 50 years ago) is, it only required a few minutes before I was on my own.

I have nephews that use real power tools, because their parents know: one has to learn (one of these kids is nearly hooked on model building)

Don't know how to resolve this without the Dad, the uncle, the older brother being there to shepherd the kid through it, but this kind of thing can (and must be) taught.

My two cents. No firestorms please, just my two cents

Ray
Dinser is offline Find More Posts by Dinser
Last edited by Dinser; Apr 10, 2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Oct 2011
9,199 Posts
I agree.I have an 8 year old young lady who works with me,building models.She was handed a single edge razor blade,and a sheet of balsa with increasingly difficult cuts marked on it in pencil.
With the admonishment-"don't cut yourself" she was carefully watched from afar. She didn't!
She's been taught to start a fire with matches(toasting marshmallows)
She can add wood to the wood stove in the cabin without burning her self..(once),but never again..It was minor.She's comfortable doing it now.
I painted a "fingernail" on a 1/2 " dowel,and ran it through the band saw to show her how quickly accidents can happen.Won't go near it! I may have overdone...
But they MUST be taught.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:59 PM
Richard Cox
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Dec 2003
672 Posts
Amen to that. Many kids today can't use simple tools because they aren't taught, or their parents are afraid they will get hurt. I had little supervision as a kid building, and razor blades were the only knife I had. So what if they get a minor cut. I still cut myself every time I build a model. That's why skin heals. Just be sure to get some first aid.
Some lessons just need to be learned alone. I taught myself model building and flying and electronics and am now an engineer and still model builder. I feel sorry for the kids growing up without this type of experience. What happens when they grow up and need to use a tool and make a simple repair? They will have no idea.
My 7 year old grandson got a tool set and wood parts to build some simple items from his other grandmother. A great set of kid sized real tools. He soon hit his finger with the hammer while holding a nail. He wailed for a while, and I told him that I do it sometimes, too. I am doing everything I can to school him in safe use of tools and materials.
Richard Cox is offline Find More Posts by Richard Cox
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9,199 Posts
Oh,man I yell too when Briana hurts her self.After initial exam,to be sure it's not serious,I'll join in the wailing,and it soon becomes a laughter fest.
You should see us build together...her at her workbench..me at mine..and she sings to herself.
It may be a fleeting thing,but I like to think she won't forget building with me.
She knows how glue works,and how to fit joints.Oh they're not great,but she's developing her standards.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:13 PM
Richard Cox
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Dec 2003
672 Posts
As long as they are using hand tools and have some supervision, I don't think there will be any serious injuries. I would not introduce power tools until age 12 or so.
You're right, they will never forget the skills they acquire or the time spent with you.
Some of my fondest memories are of my grandpa teaching me how to build kites.
First, we walked down to my Uncle Tommy's woodshop, where he would cut us some sticks, then we cleared off the kitchen table, assembled the sticks and covered them with
newspaper, or sometimes tissue. Grandma would supply some strips of rags for the tail,
then we would spend a glorious afternoon flying them. When I got into building models,
he would light the fuse on the Jetex motor and I would toss the plane. Sometimes they even flew! But that was not the point. He and I formed a bond that would never be forgotten.
Richard Cox is offline Find More Posts by Richard Cox
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:47 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
See, thats what its about guys - learning skills, forming bonds and having fun.

I started out at 7 with a kit that needed some cutting with a razor (think my Dad gave me a boxcutter) and then flew with the aid of its tissue-dope wings and a rubber powered prop. It was a great experience for me at the time and its still a brilliant memory, especially Dad giving me a helping hand.

I got back into it last year (22y/o) and progressed through RTF - ARF - foam kit - balsa kit - planbuild - scratchbuild in no time. Still weilding a knife (HE'S GOT A KNIFE! ) and still loving it.

Cheers guys - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9,199 Posts
Aww man ...Little Briana changed Schools yesterday.She stopped by visibly upset and sailed into the building shop,slamming the door behind her.

I've done it!! I've created a SANCTUARY !!!.thats all I/we wanted isn't it?
a place to escape to.......I gave her fifteen minutes of solitude,gently knocked,and found her with a razor blade in her hand,cutting wing ribs for a comet Taylorcraft.
It works-having a hobby is good for your mental health.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:29 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,241 Posts
since ARFS arrived on the scene is what almost everyone buys, me included
Im an old time modeler and used to build all the time! hardcore builders anymore are few and far between,any more ppl want it now! and have forgotten what it takes to actually sit down and build,if they even have
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9,199 Posts
I lament the lack of kits also.
I purposely visited my Local Hobby Shop today, on a quest for kits.

There are quite a few of the Herr and Dumas kits,but they aren't selling.
In a lull in my contract building,a few years ago, I framed up a Sterling Stearman...you know,that little 28" one, painted the skeleton gray primer,and donated it to the LHS for permanent display.....thinking I'd inspire someone to build.

Seniors like me can 'see' the work and satisfaction involved, the kids are looking for parkzone foamies they can charge on the way home,to fly when they get there....They are not taught about investment,nor pride.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:51 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,914 Posts
My LHS thinks a kit is a foamie.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:49 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,801 Posts
If you want a quick snap-shot of modelling interest, go to the front page of RCGroups, then scroll down and look at the (## Viewing) figures at the end of each forum title.

At this moment in time, the Foamie Kits forum has (38 Viewing), the Foamies (Scratchbuilt) has (94 Viewing).

That may not be very satisfactory to the balsa only builders, but it does show the interest in just that small group, and that building is still very much alive.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:54 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,801 Posts
A quick look at the Aircraft - Fuel - General group of 11 forums, a total of 30 viewing the whole 11 forums.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Closed Thread