HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:02 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cox View Post
The odds of getting a daughter interested in our hobby are much smaller than with a son.
Look around at any flying field, or here on RCGroups. It's a difference in DNA, I assume.
Even boys, when they discover the opposite sex, are likely to become disinterested.
I have a friend i taught how to fly 3 years ago and his son also. The dad had been trying to get his son out to fly last year but no go with the boys girfriends now. The dad started to fly to do something good with his son so he feels like he got slapped in the face now. I told him once the girl thing starts to wear off he will be back and if that does not happen the son can teach his own kids later till they start chasing girls.lol joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:45 PM
St Clair Shores, Michigan
Joined Jan 2008
84 Posts
I have built peanut size free flight off and on for a long time. I have planes that have been rebuilt more times than they have flown, so I guess I am not good at trimming.

Recently it seems my old fingers (they are each 58 years old ) are not cooperating so well, it seems like handling the planes to repair them is causing a lot of breakage. Makes it hard to complete a repair

Too stubborn to give up but I just wonder if anyone else gets frustrated. I have 3 nephews who are showing an interest and I'm not sure they would see the happiness of building outweighs the frustration.

Ray
Dinser is offline Find More Posts by Dinser
Last edited by Dinser; Mar 09, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Ray I have broke about every stick on my fuse on my solent seaplane before i got sheeting on it and glassed it.lmao So its not just you my friend .Iam 58 years young. joe
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Mar 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
I would just as soon not hear the "I don't have time to build", answer!..
I tell those people to kill their TV and they'll "gain" about 3 additional productive hours a day as well as halting the slaughter of brain cells the idiot box causes. If they're complete addicts, they can also just listen to the TV while building something.

The key thing to making progress on a project is to do something every day on it. It can be as minimal/trivial as gluing a single rib or former on. If you keep moving the ball forward a few inches at a time spending 5 minutes each day, eventually the goal line becomes visible. Once the goal line is visible, then motivation magically appears and what appeared to be a daunting and intractable enthusiasm killer at first doesn't seem like that anymore.
NACA0012 is offline Find More Posts by NACA0012
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:05 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
That's about how I've been covering my latest project, instead of attacking it like I did with the base coat, I've been spreading out the trimming. Last night I did the other half of the side fuse trim. Tonight probably the underside of the wings and the underside of the horizontal stabs.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:45 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
A recent odd little 'find' suggests that not only are folk still building, but they're hanging out not too far from here as well!

http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-exo...-interest-358/ - Vintage and old timer - lots of folk building all sorts of oddments. I got up with this one because it seems I am far from the first aeromodeller to build an 'ultra large scale model' of the old English 'FROG' kit range.

My twice life size e-power RC version of FROG's rubber powered FF 'Raven' is almost common in that forum!

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:01 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cox View Post
The odds of getting a daughter interested in our hobby are much smaller than with a son.
Look around at any flying field, or here on RCGroups. It's a difference in DNA, I assume.
Even boys, when they discover the opposite sex, are likely to become disinterested.
Be careful about how you prejudice yourself. I have 7 kids, 3 boys and 4 girls. My oldest son has no interest in modeling at all. My oldest daughter didn't, but she married an RC car guy. Her little sister "tolerates" models but isn't especially interested.

My next son is an avid modeler (builder and pilot). When offered a chance to learn to fly full-scale, he wasn't interested. His little brother can fly (taught himself pretty well, actually) but doesn't have a lot of interest. Both of them have girlfriends, the older one's at least enjoys the flying. I haven't met the other yet.

My next daughter JUMPED at the chance to learn to fly full-scale, and is getting into models too. Her little sister is an RC car "guy."

So far, I think I have a better percentage of my girls with models than with my boys.

Go figure!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Angy .girls or boys eyes light up the same way when they are having fun with dad or grampa flying or when i take mine to get a pie at the local bakery . joe
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
29 Posts
It's probably been said before in this thread ( I didn't read 100+ pages!) but one big problem is competition for entertainment time.

We "old-timers" didn't have all that many options to fill our idle hours. Even into the 70's cable TV availability was very limited. No internet, no video games.

Now take a generation programed towards instant gratification and offer them a smorgasbord of "Plug-n-Play" entertainment choices. It's not too hard to see why spending 100's of hours doing something as tedious as modelling has lost its appeal.
daveagain is offline Find More Posts by daveagain
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:53 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,163 Posts
Cracksmeup

It all comes down to; they don't understand WHY we build,and we're having difficulty understanding why they don't!
And you're right!.. I saw that same look in her eyes yesterday,while we were Butterfly netting minnows,just to put 'em back...Maybe it's something other than building with me,that lights her up....
She strokes the minnows before she puts them back...doesn't kill them...puts them back.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
It's not the countless hours, it's the fact that you can stand back and smile thinking "I built that".
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:59 PM
United States, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Here's a suggestion. Give us the same materials ARF manufactures use to build light, strong airplanes in kit form maybe then more people would build
For the most part kits build heavier then an ARF of the same size.
MY $.02

Tom
iflircaircraft is offline Find More Posts by iflircaircraft
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:13 PM
Richard Cox
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Dec 2003
672 Posts
If you are talking foamy, I agree. The molding process allows strength where needed without excessive material. We can't really duplicate that.
For built-up models, maybe not. I can build a stick and tissue lighter then a foam plane any day. It is, or course, more fragile. Build to fly, not to crash.
That way you get to spend a lot of time in the shop repairing.
Richard Cox is offline Find More Posts by Richard Cox
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:14 PM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagain View Post
It's probably been said before in this thread ( I didn't read 100+ pages!) but one big problem is competition for entertainment time.

We "old-timers" didn't have all that many options to fill our idle hours. Even into the 70's cable TV availability was very limited. No internet, no video games.

Now take a generation programed towards instant gratification and offer them a smorgasbord of "Plug-n-Play" entertainment choices. It's not too hard to see why spending 100's of hours doing something as tedious as modelling has lost its appeal.
You could be onto something there. I'm probably part of that "generation" you talk about. I'm 17 now, and when I was younger(still, actually) we had 6 channels on TV, so it was only interesting after 6 p.m. and no video game console of any sort. I had to fill my time with something, so I built things. When we got a computer, I guess that urge to design carried over, and I got into programming and 3D modeling.(shameless plug to my portfolio here) Even though there were now options for video games, YouTube content, and the like, creating is still what drove me. As I look around my room now, I see a line following robot, custom built computer game controller, and a time-lapse rig as just three of the few things I've built in the past year.

And now I've gotten into aero-modeling, with my first balsa build nearing completion.

I think we need to cultivate that idea of making things in young people today. Like has been mentioned before, setting an example might be the best way. When somebody sees you flying around a scratch built plane at the club field, park, back pasture, or wherever, be kind and open and if they seem interested, point them along the right path to getting started.
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
@Wehrdo are you doing your renders in Blender, or a ray tracer? NVM just saw Blender Cookie. Great stuff though. If you like to program and do renders which you said you like both, check out POVray (shameless plug) though I have no affiliation with them.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread