HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:23 AM
United States, NC, Locust
Joined Jul 2001
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I gave my youngest daughter a 1995 caddy coupdeville when she turned 18 it had 25,000 original miles on it and it was one of my best restored cars .2 weeks later she hit a giant tumbestone while her and her friends were having a few drinks in the cemitary. I had to go there with a giant pipe to pry the shiney fender and nice bent crome bumber away from the wheel so i could drive it home. It brought a tear to my eye but no one was hurt in the tank. Lmao I gave each of my four kids a car i had rebuilt but after that they were on their own. I refused to fix the caddy and she went without a car till she was married. joe
And this brings modeling back by ??????????????????
zx32tt is offline Find More Posts by zx32tt
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:32 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,601 Posts
Maybe he didn't bend the bumper far enough ,and he couldn't stay on the road...
I probably started that,with my 8 year old Briana story.....It ain't all about gluing parts together,this model building....it's developing the interest from within,whether it's a boy or a girl.....

We had a girl that always came to warbirds with her Pop...little flyer,she was....till she discovered boys 'n babies.

I'd like to know the results of these AMA glider building sessions at Contests and shows.

Did any one of us get started in modelling because we built one? Personally, I've never built one..Sounds like I'm knocking that,but I'm not....If we're sure it helps,I'll get 25 for the airport fly-in this summer.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:41 AM
Metal Master
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
Well i am going to chim in. I am 38 and i remember building model planes with my dad and i loved it then. Over the Years I never went back to it. Recently I have wanted to build them again and when i went to the Local hobbytown they have no Plane kits at all, only ARF and RTF. I went to the owner and was like why are they not selling at least some kits. He told me that the market for them is not there anymore. people want the quick fix and up and flying. So for me i had to order my Plane I wanted to build. F4U Corsair 62". My 2 girls are 12 and 5, the day the kit arrived at home they both wanted to see it. Now that i have started to build it they are both down in my work room with me helping me build it. To bring building back is going to come from us to show and teach our kids. I love seeing how excited my kids are to be with me to build the plane.

Mikey
Hangman15 is offline Find More Posts by Hangman15
Last edited by Hangman15; Mar 02, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:56 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,601 Posts
Hangman;welcome aboard.I don't see anything wrong with building an airplanewith your daughters...I'm having the same thoughts right now.I'm like-if I make sure the parts are lined up before we glue them,why can't she install them,and glue them in....more a team effort than individualism.

....and I'm frustrated with that damned ad flashing in front of my eyes,from foxtech hobbies while I'm trying to talk to you.It's so irritating I promise to never buy anything from them,just to get even...I NEED A SWITCH TO TURN THAT THING OFF
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:45 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman15 View Post
Well i am going to chim in. I am 38 and i remember building model planes with my dad and i loved it then. Over the Years I never went back to it. Recently I have wanted to build them again and when i went to the Local hobbytown they have no Plane kits at all, only ARF and RTF. I went to the owner and was like why are they not selling at least some kits. He told me that the market for them is not there anymore. people want the quick fix and up and flying. So for me i had to order my Plane I wanted to build. F4U Corsair 62". My 2 girls are 12 and 5, the day the kit arrived at home they both wanted to see it. Now that i have started to build it they are both down in my work room with me helping me build it. To bring building back is going to come from us to show and teach our kids. I love seeing how excited my kids are to be with me to build the plane.

Mikey
I wished my dad was a builder. Still works at the age of 68 because he doesn't know what he would do if he retired (plus he likes having a huge house with a bunch of crap in it)... sigh. When my parents bought me my first R/C car as a kid he said it was going to be a father son activity but I never got to work on the thing because he was always busy when I asked so he finally said I could do it myself but don't blame him if it didn't work when I was done. It worked perfectly because a grasshopper was easy for a mechanically inclined 12 year old to build... more complicated stuff than that i probably could have used his help on but he is just not a builder.. We used to talk about building/restoring an old car one day and that is never going to happen either.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:43 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Not to get to personal in an open forum so no need to reply, but think about it. Have you told him that?
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:37 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
Not to get to personal in an open forum so no need to reply, but think about it. Have you told him that?
Yeah he basically said he was too lazy and i gave up trying, maybe he was trying to push me to be more self reliant? Didn't work :P
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:28 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,618 Posts
just spent a couple hours with my 7 yr old grandson building his epp Blubaby 33. He's flown my beatup old trainer1, several flights and the FMS sim. (has gotten pretty good on the sim). I was given a block of epp, 5"x5"x48" made a hot wire cutter and sliced up some 9mm planks, hot glued the plane together. we installed esc, rx, servos and wires today. maiden when wind dies down. He's got the sickness, i think......
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,390 Posts
Keep him going springer we need new blood in our hobby plus its fun too. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined May 2004
1,490 Posts
Here's an interesting video that could be shown in schools or at youth activities
Called "Wings over Indiana"

You'll see where it puts a great deal of emphasis on modelling

Jusat click on the program open arrow and itwill play the entire program or you can play individual parts of the videos.
It's very good and very educational program
Enjoy!

http://www.wfyi.org/IndianaExpeditio...verIndiana.asp
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Last edited by ErcoupeEd; Mar 07, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:03 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
cracksmeup - Great story about giving each of your kids a car - let alone a DeVille! - thats being an awesome Dad for sure. I reckon, though, that if you'd gotten your daughter to contribute in some way it may have helped stop the cemitary incident from happening. I know that my '80 Chrysler Valiant would definitely not have been driven after drinking when I was 18 - not after working nights at the chemist through highschool so I could save enough to buy her! Good to hear that you didn't fix it for her though, sometimes its best for kids to learn the hard way. Hell, at 23 I'm pretty much still a kid myself!

Springer - sounds good mate, just like what I'm trying to do with my little sister. She's turning 9 this year and I think an awesome present from Big Brother would be a docile/tough foamboard trainer and basic radio system for her, along with a free version flight sim. Nothing too fancy, but enough to get her flying all the same. She'll definitely help me with at least the radio installation and landing gear

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:20 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
cracksmeup - Great story about giving each of your kids a car - let alone a DeVille! - thats being an awesome Dad for sure. I reckon, though, that if you'd gotten your daughter to contribute in some way it may have helped stop the cemitary incident from happening. I know that my '80 Chrysler Valiant would definitely not have been driven after drinking when I was 18 - not after working nights at the chemist through highschool so I could save enough to buy her! Good to hear that you didn't fix it for her though, sometimes its best for kids to learn the hard way. Hell, at 23 I'm pretty much still a kid myself!

Springer - sounds good mate, just like what I'm trying to do with my little sister. She's turning 9 this year and I think an awesome present from Big Brother would be a docile/tough foamboard trainer and basic radio system for her, along with a free version flight sim. Nothing too fancy, but enough to get her flying all the same. She'll definitely help me with at least the radio installation and landing gear

Cheers - boingk
Some kids learn slower than others and you cant force them in their teenage years .When she finally figured i was not fixing it or giving her another one she worked and bought her own and took very good care of it. My boy is building with me at ten and learning fast .Iam charging batterys today for his flying lessons tomorow and sunday. joe
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:36 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
cracksmeup if I didn't know better I'd think that was a Spruce Goose, minus 4 motors.

Where's the props?
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
cracksmeup if I didn't know better I'd think that was a Spruce Goose, minus 4 motors.

Where's the props?
Its a short solent from ivans plans . When the picture was taken with out props i was still putting coats of paint on my cowls .They are put on with magnets .joe
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:51 AM
Richard Cox
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Dec 2003
650 Posts
The odds of getting a daughter interested in our hobby are much smaller than with a son.
Look around at any flying field, or here on RCGroups. It's a difference in DNA, I assume.
Even boys, when they discover the opposite sex, are likely to become disinterested.
Richard Cox is offline Find More Posts by Richard Cox
Closed Thread