HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:44 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,554 Posts
I find it interesting that Earl made the "missionary" statement, as I get the same impression.

There's room for everybody, but I don't want some one telling me that they've "seen the light."

Joe, I've met Merlyn. He's a fine gentleman, an excellent pilot, and an even better builder !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:16 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Hey tom i flew seaplane meets with merlyn often till he sold his home here in our snowy state and just moved to FL to warm up his old ars. lol He is a great builder and flyer ,taught me how to glass a plane also. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:46 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Dereck lol you know me from flying together ,i smell like harley oil and greese so my nitro fuel smells like purfume to my spousal unit when i walk through the door. lmao Shhhh she is sneeking around here some where and might have a different view . I got to get back to putting her new bath floor in now bye. lol joe
Now there's an odd slant on getting that 'burnt old glow fuel' smell to be more acceptable

Lots depends on where you live or can drive to for flying. If its out in the middle of nowhere, you can be as loud as you like.

That MD site, some developer built big McMansions next to a capped off landfill in the middle of the industrial area of Rockville, MD. Don't ask me why anyone would pay a lot for a big house in that area, but they did. One of them had friends at the same county government as let the local big RC club fly there on what was county 'parkland'. For some reason, this guy didn't like listening to poorly silenced RC and CL models all weekend. Didn't take long for him to call up his Big PooBah buddies and get them booted off said landfill.

But they did get another slice of 'parkland' further out in the county to play on. Until someone with a bigger hold on the county PoohBahs wanted to build a 'Soccerplex' on that county land.

Now said club has another 'county park' further out and had PO'd a whole new bunch of folk with the racket from their favourite models - huge 3D gas powered stuff, and jet turbines. BTW - the 'Soccerplex' is now well under-used and begging for public monetary support, I heard recently.

Either we market the hobby more, to get us up around, say, golfballing, or put up with having little clout at citycountystate PoohBah level.

Still maintain that an electric flight/glider only club will have a much better chance of avoiding noise complaints than a 'wet power' club.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:37 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,385 Posts
Quote:
Iam with you brother if i wanted quiet i would ride a honda with factory pipes not my road king with straight pipes barking load. joe.
Sorry Joe, but one thing that I find hard to accept is the attitude of 'I can do what I like', especially when it come to making 'unnecessary' noise.

Many flying sites have been lost because of the few who like to 'hear their engine above all the others'.

Our street has been plagued recently by young motor cyclists who insist on riding their off road bikes as noisily as possible, (probably illegally), noisy young car drivers, (why do Subaru Impreza owners have to have the loudest exhaust systems going). They probably feel it's their right to do whatever they want.

Noise is a very subjective thing, what may sound 'golden' to the owner, may be a right pain in the butt to those who have to put up with it.

I once used the LTUP forum for a while, (never again). In there, there was a lot of, 'I have the right to......'(whatever it was). But generally ignoring other peoples rights to not have to put up with their 'rights'.

I hope you don't take offence to my little outburst, it wasn't meant that way. It was to show that one persons enjoyment may be detrimental to others trying to enjoy theirs. A happy middle ground is often the best solution.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Ray ,i build custom homes for a living and this reminds me of building a brand new house but having the neighbors complain about the load construction noises .I am the boss in the company and i have to deal with theses people .I now tell them that load noise was made when we built yours and just like yours when we finish the noise will stop. No matter what we do they will complain about somthing .If it means we have to fly a little further out in the boonys rather than fly electrict then i will pay for the extra gas to drive out there . I also will never quiet my harley down , if they complain to much i aim the exaust up a little so the noise hits there window. There is a wave of hobby people now who think that electrict is the onlyway to fly but to me it is a pain in the ars . It drives me nuts sitting in one spot for hours waiting for batterys to charge just to run out of power in 15 minutes of flight. So in the US if you dont like the noise of our planes or motorcycles or guns you better go buy ear muffs . joe
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:54 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...ything/1379100

From 'Saturday Night Live'. Sorry, you have to sit through a 30 second commercial, but that's what TV is for.

It's supposedly comedy, but it explains well about the 'I'm entitled to' sort of person

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:23 AM
Joined Nov 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
There is a wave of hobby people now who think that electrict is the onlyway to fly but to me it is a pain in the ars . It drives me nuts sitting in one spot for hours waiting for batterys to charge just to run out of power in 15 minutes of flight.
👍 for that!
Mrj3cub is offline Find More Posts by Mrj3cub
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:28 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
All for loud/awesome stuff... but using it through the suburbs isn't the way to make friends. If you're building a house/school etc then so be it - as cracksmeup said it happened when your place was built so deal with it.

My flying field is 5 minutes out of town and on private property - the owner has agreed to let us fence off a portion of one field and let us use it as our own. We have a proper fenced flightline, clubhouse/shed and toilet facility. Anyone is welcome to rock up and fly whatever they want, only requirement is being a club member ($130/year) and passing the 'Bronze Wing' basic flying level.

On electric flight, its good and all... but generally only in smaller (<40") models. You can get some great flights with gliders etc but I really do like nitros.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
There are 6 or 7 clubs in my area that the county has built the clubs flying sites but not near any homes so noise is not a issue .We had one field taken by the tree huggers just to level all the trees and make it marsh land .The county then built the club another flying field better than the one they had at a cost of 500,000 bucks. My club rents its own land and takes care of it ,we have a private drive and no beighbors to complain. I say if you move your around us you better not complain about the noise . joe
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:04 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
That's like here. Our airport has been here since the 20's. People move in right under the flight path then complain about the noise. I had a friend who lived under the commercial jet path and it is LOUD. It doesn't take rocket science to figure some things out

When I grew up we were right under the path for civilian planes. I would sit out there for hours watching the planes fly over. Saw some pretty neat ones. But to this day I have no interest in anything Cessna 172. Seemed like 9 out of 10 planes were those.

Although I only have electrics now I really miss the smell of the fuel. Always liked it (weird i know). I have found a place a little ways away that I can fly fuel so may have to make one someday.

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:51 AM
a.k.a. skcope
Trumbull, CT
Joined Feb 2007
296 Posts
Our club is dealing with the same situation. We fly on a farm property from which we rent space to maintain a field. At the north end of our flying area is a guy that takes particular pleasure in being a jerk at every opportunity. Apparently, the constant noise of operating farm machinery and the shotgun charges that are fired in the summer to keep the pest animals away from the crops don't bother him, but he finds the noise of our planes offensive. All of our planes are noise checked and are below the standard put in place by the AMA.
He also has gone to town committee and claimed that we are a safety risk and that we have flown over his house regularly. The end of our flight line is about 300 yards from a tree line which separates his property from the farm and his house is set back an additional 200 ft. There is no way anyone has ever flown over his house. This guy has even gone so far as to make statements that electrics are no better because they are "silent killers".
My point is that our hobby needs good PR. There will always be someone who complains but if we have a large portion of people who look at us favorably or better yet, participate in the hobby, then we have clout and can sway policy-makers opinions.
However, we are dealing more and more with a generation of Ego-maniacs with zero tolerance- "if it irritates me, I can yell really loud and will go to any lengths to win even if my argument is ungrounded". It is the self-important attitude of many people in society which is losing flying sites, not anything modelers are doing are not doing.
Sorry for the soapbox but we can't bring modeling back if we have no dedicated place to fly.
AVGDAY is offline Find More Posts by AVGDAY
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Here in the US we have fgured out along time ago if you want to keep your rights you might have to fight for them. I am proud to be a AMA member going on 30 years now and they help clubs keep there flying sites and lobby for us in washington . If we were dumb animals fighting for there land me might not have to much of a chance but we are hard working ,tax paying guys trying to relax with our hobby and be left alone. I dont know if you guys in the UK have such a org fighting for any of your hobbys rights but you should. We here are not just one flyer with a noisy plane but we 250.000 strong to fly electrict nitro or gas as we please any time we want. joe
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:14 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
I belong to the Model Aeronautical Association of Australia - similar to the AMA in the States - and we are definitely on track with keeping our fields and rights. We have a term for the type of people you are describing, too; "F***ing d***heads"

They'll always be there to cause trouble, but we'll always be there on the right side of things to keep them in check. Best thing about my clubs field is that its only 5 minutes from town but is really open and even the farmers house is over a mile away. We fly nitro, gas, electric and turbines without any fear of complaints.

Run 'em right, enjoy the flight - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
I belong to the Model Aeronautical Association of Australia - similar to the AMA in the States - and we are definitely on track with keeping our fields and rights. We have a term for the type of people you are describing, too; "F***ing d***heads"

They'll always be there to cause trouble, but we'll always be there on the right side of things to keep them in check. Best thing about my clubs field is that its only 5 minutes from town but is really open and even the farmers house is over a mile away. We fly nitro, gas, electric and turbines without any fear of complaints.

Run 'em right, enjoy the flight - boingk
I should have known the ausys would have their s**t together . lol Before i kick the bucket i want to visit your lovely country . I know its a god offly long flight tho. joe
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:18 PM
United States, UT, Garden City
Joined Aug 2011
403 Posts
One thing I've noticed when it comes to intolerant people(as in those that gripe about rc planes), is USUALLY they are the small minority, and if one or two are being a royal PITA, then we've usually been able to shut em down by approaching and lobbying our good neighbors and city councils at the first hint of trouble. This usually results in the inevitable complaints falling on deaf ears and us keeping our spots to fly.
There are always jerks that have to change things when they move into a new area just to make themselves feel empowered and important, when they are usually impotent wimps that have been pests their whole lives just to feel like they matter. Usually join HOA presidencies and such. Just try to identify them early and start building a defence and get your pawns in line before the trouble and you can usually come out on top. It's a lot like keeping an eye on polititians!
gmwahl is offline Find More Posts by gmwahl
Closed Thread