HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:20 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
That's nice Earl. You can't put a price on that!

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:39 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Keep it up Earl - way you're going, she'll grow up appreciating using her spare time to create unique things instead of just buying what she's told to.

Good luck - she'll likely be out-flying you soon

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:59 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayQuiet View Post
lot of time invested in the plane.

I guess as long as there are RC planes to fly, whether they be kits, ARF, RTF, etc, there will be components available for those of us who prefer building to work with. I fear that if the ARF and RTF planes went away, the hobby would go away with it. The number of people left that would be willing to build would find the supplies of new motors, radios, engines, etc. quickly drying up.
Don't worry about the supplies drying up, just browse the scratchbuilt foamies forum and you'll find that people all over the world are sucking up the newest and widest variety of motors, servos, gear, etc, etc that China can provide (yeah, China, but that's where the hobby shops, kit suppliers and arf builders get the stuff too) But my point is that these people in Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa, (oh, yeah, US too) you name it, are all building planes from pdf plans or designing their own, and buying the gear ala cart, not in a kit or bundle, and many of them use a full complement of gear (REAT flaps, retracts, etc). The other thing to reassure yourself is check out HobbyKing's inventory on any particular item. My fave is the 9gram hextronic servos, they get 10,000 inventory and it's gone in sometimes a week! I don't think that large a market is drying up....

If you're concerned about the lack of people still designing and building there own planes, check out this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1333878
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:07 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
I'll tell you one thing..She's smarter than I gave her credit for..I'm gluing stringers into a 1/3 scale Fairchild,while she's drilling holes in control cable stand-offs for me.
It's 9:30 on a Saturday night,and she wants to help Mr.Earl with his airplane.If it's within my power,she'll learn to create with those hands,not stick someone else's parts together.
She feels what WE feel guys,and I'm lucky enough to be able to help her grow.
Don't ask me how to get people to build more...They have to want to !
It's all clear now..we can generate the skills,they donate the desire..

TODAY,I CONSIDER MYSELF ONE OF THE LUCKIEST PEOPLE..........
Cute, I want one... one day Did I just say that!? Must be getting old.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:55 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,528 Posts
It's not all doom and gloom! Looking here on RCG, there have been a few (3ish?) build threads over the last couple of months with people doing their first balsa build. And it's nice to see experienced folks joining in on those builds offering advice and encouragement.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Feb 05, 2012, 11:45 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
I had one new builder that wanted my pronto surpreme plans (Robert ) but he did not need to much of my help and is doing a great job building his first scratch build . When you get a new builder that can figure out most things by their selfs it goes very well. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1552338 He also decided to convert it to electrict witch had me worried a bit but he has desighned his batterie hatches very well . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Feb 06, 2012, 12:50 PM
Western New York
Joined Sep 2008
30 Posts
I just started my first balsa build in over 25 years. It's a Craftair Mystique that I picked up on eBay a few months ago for next to nothing. I consider this a practice build before I spend any real money...

I don't have a lot of free time or space - there are three little people taking up most of both, so I build when I can in the 9x9 (heated!) shed in the back yard. I like to build, and I have since I started helping my grandfather years ago, it's just that life keeps getting in the way. I do have a couple ARFs, but that's so I have something to learn to fly on while I (slowly) start building.

Chris
chrisudy is offline Find More Posts by chrisudy
Old Feb 06, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisudy View Post
I just started my first balsa build in over 25 years. It's a Craftair Mystique that I picked up on eBay a few months ago for next to nothing. I consider this a practice build before I spend any real money...

I don't have a lot of free time or space - there are three little people taking up most of both, so I build when I can in the 9x9 (heated!) shed in the back yard. I like to build, and I have since I started helping my grandfather years ago, it's just that life keeps getting in the way. I do have a couple ARFs, but that's so I have something to learn to fly on while I (slowly) start building.

Chris
With a 9x9 shed you should be able to build at least a 8 ft wing.I can remember building on my kitchen table and having to put on top of the cabenets when it was time to eat and the kids from not playing with it . Glad your back building chris. joe
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
I can see where it is a very duanting hobby to build from scratch and how kids would just rather buy and fly. for me, I refused to buy one just to fly it. I wanted to know how all the electronics work and have a sense of pride that I built something that actually works. I just started about a month ago from scratch on a balsa plane but I dont understand all of the electronics quite yet and don't know what works with what and what I would need for this size plane.
The building was the easy part since I have woodworking experience and this one basically served as a good trial and error build to get some experience and I can open it up later and add the electronics if I want. I have been tempted to go buy a cheap trainer just to try and figure out the electronics on that one so i know what I need for mine. But with all the video games and hussle and bussle of the world I think this hobby will suffer except for a few newbies like myself that have the drive to dive in and build one from the ground up.

On another note. Back to the electronics. is there a good place to go on the internet to figure out what I need. I'm always looking at the amps, volts, etc. but dont know what works with what. ie, what battery with what esc, motor, servos, etc.
kdmiller6679 is offline Find More Posts by kdmiller6679
Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
kdmiller this site might help with your electrict needs http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24238
Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:44 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
I have learned so much so far and I love it. I haven't finished yet but know that I can build most anything now. I'm sure some of my questions were out of left field but Joe took it in stride. I hope to be able to help someone someday like I have been helped and pass it on.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I had one new builder that wanted my pronto surpreme plans (Robert ) but he did not need to much of my help and is doing a great job building his first scratch build . When you get a new builder that can figure out most things by their selfs it goes very well. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1552338 He also decided to convert it to electrict witch had me worried a bit but he has desighned his batterie hatches very well . joe
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:06 PM
a.k.a. skcope
Trumbull, CT
Joined Feb 2007
296 Posts
Many interesting points have been raised in this discussion. I was fortunate enough to be introduced to this hobby when I could barely walk and was lucky enough to have a grandfather who was extremely patient and generous with his time and supplies, otherwise I don't know if I'd be building/designing now.
There will always be people building- I believe there is part of the human mind which can't be satisfied any other way. Thirty years ago, some of the people who now fly ARF's would have given up on this hobby and found something else to do so if ARF's help to ignite more people's passion for aircraft and R/C flight, then in my mind, it is a good thing. If people are discouraged and stop participating in this hobby, then we will lose our flying privileges and will stop having a voice or presence in society.
If ARF's ignite people's initial interest, then it is up to the rest of us who like to build (like so many of the great and talented people I have encountered on this site) to teach these new pilots our ways. We need to show them the great rewards to building and designing their own creations and we have to provide encouragement and advice so that they are successful. There will always be those that take the easier way out in any circumstance- that is their choice. But it is our passion for building which may kindle others passions and perpetuate this aspect of the hobby for future generations of modelers.
AVGDAY is online now Find More Posts by AVGDAY
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:52 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmiller6679 View Post
On another note. Back to the electronics. is there a good place to go on the internet to figure out what I need. I'm always looking at the amps, volts, etc. but dont know what works with what. ie, what battery with what esc, motor, servos, etc.
Have you checked out the general electric systems forum right here on RCG? http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-ele...?daysprune=365

There are several sub forums on batteries and chargers, Motor design, power system setup, etc. Tons of information, just use the "search" button.
The power systems forum is a particularly useful forum, as it has a bunch of sticky threads at the top that list successful systems, and how to evaluate a system. http://www.rcgroups.com/power-systems-13/

There's also a lot of discussion on power systems in the Foamies-Scratch built forum, usually based on a specific model, but often just put out as a separate thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/foamies-scratchbuilt-428/ With 50 to 100 folks online at any given time, there's a lot of help available. If you have a question/problem, start a thread. ('course if you mention it's regarding a balsa plane, you may get some chuckles, but I'm sure you will get the help too).

a little down from the scratchbuilt foamies forum is a glow to electric conversions forum, so you might check there and see if your plane has it's own thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/glow-to-elec...nversions-247/
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
I have learned so much so far and I love it. I haven't finished yet but know that I can build most anything now. I'm sure some of my questions were out of left field but Joe took it in stride. I hope to be able to help someone someday like I have been helped and pass it on.

Robert
Your questions were no different that the ones i had when building my first plane .I think alot of us old hats have forgotten that we were once new to building and back then had to ask some old timers in the club or we had to read to figure these things out. With the internet new builders have it all at their finger tips . I have had fun with Robert and his son and cant wait to see his bird fly. joe
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:21 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,379 Posts
I have posted a few times here about the Depron foam Spitfire I am building, (posts #1296, #1394, #1506). Well here's the virtually finished object, (she need 'dirtying' ).

I have put a small thread in the Foamies Scratchbuilt forum, 'Spitfire 72" Depron foam'.

Building is still alive, luckily so am I, so my next model is..........
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Closed Thread