HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:50 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Yep I've been watching it. I shouldn't type early in the morning LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrj3cub View Post
Hey Robert!

This is my buildthread : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1578822
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Is it a nice flyer Tom? It's one of my favorite planes on Realflight sim. Love how it flies but that is on a computer

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Thanks !

I had wanted to build a 1/3 Spacewalker for over 20 years, but other models kept getting in the way. LOL Last Winter, I made the time to build it. The Spacewalker was a very satisfying project, and I'm glad that I finally have one. The model has been well recieved where ever I take it, and has been on the front page of a local newspaper.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:59 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,617 Posts
Hi Robert

My 1/3 SW has not yet flown. I have a Sig 1/4 scale, though. It flies very well. It is my favorite model to fly.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Nice colors Tom. Not the standard but looks just as good.

Robert
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:48 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,617 Posts
Thanks.

The 1/3 scale is painted with Rustoleum.
The 1/4 is painted with Nelson's Hobby Specialties' paints. It is a scale color scheme.

Both are covered in Solartex.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:11 PM
United States, MA, Oxford
Joined Jul 2011
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Hi Joe
Don't play down drawing plans on the back of old wallpaper with a pencil!

Back in MD, I found myself with a spare wing from a BARF I won in a raffle and decided to build a nicer fuselage for it. Did it on my drawing board and some handy plain paper - far quicker to come up with a working drawing than with CAD!

When you draw a line with a ruler and pencil, you think about where its going and put it in the right place.

With CAD, you slap a line down, move it, stretch it, replace it with a curve, change the colour sometimes and generally aim for what one could laughingly call 'perfection'.

Thus a CAD plan takes ages longer than a pencil drawing.

So, if you like drawing up your model plans the good old fashioned way, you stick with it.

D
I've been out of the hobby for quite some time. When I got out, I was flying a Goldberg Tiger 2 I had built from the kit. Our club lost the flying field when a developer put houses up right next door and the noise complaints started.

I had always known that my building skills were better than my flying skills (is there a connection there?). When I decided to take RC flying up again, (this time with quiet electric power) I was somewhat shocked at the proliferation of ARF and RTF planes, and the apparent lack of kits. I ended up buying a Flyzone Switch. I was in the air again in a few hours, with very little to show in the way of nerves, because I didn't feel as though I had a lot of time invested in the plane.

Once I got my thumbs back, I found a BMJR Spacewalker kit and built that. It made me realize how much I missed the building aspect of the hobby.

I'm finishing up my third plane. This one is built from plans, and I used ModelCAD to re-draw the wing ribs and had them laser cut at a LHS that performs this service.

My next project will be to build a half-size "Double Impact" (the built up fuel version, not the "Minimum Impact" foamboard one) for electric power. Hopefully, all the major parts of the plan will be done at 50% size with ModelCAD, and the pieces can then be laser cut. I actually draw them out on paper and then plot the measurements into the program. I like the CAD program, because if (when) the need should arise for repair parts, I can call up the file and have them cut and ready!

I guess as long as there are RC planes to fly, whether they be kits, ARF, RTF, etc, there will be components available for those of us who prefer building to work with. I fear that if the ARF and RTF planes went away, the hobby would go away with it. The number of people left that would be willing to build would find the supplies of new motors, radios, engines, etc. quickly drying up.
StayQuiet is offline Find More Posts by StayQuiet
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:32 PM
Marietta GA.
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
man, people don`t like change..a lot of people fly ARFs..I do..You know why?Because I fly 3D and I don`t have 30 hours to build a plane I may wreck doing high risk aerobatics..The hobby has changed and will change again..Change is the only constant..If you enjoy building planes then do it..There is no shortage of plans or balsa wood..I actually found I like fixing my crashed ARFs and I used to build them. I agree we have a lot less builders, but our hobby is better for it..this is what people that don`t fly think...you spend 3 weeks building it and crash the first flight..now you can order parts and keep going rather than get down on your ability to do this. The ARFs made the hobby better not worse..
mazjag is offline Find More Posts by mazjag
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:29 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazjag View Post
man, people don`t like change..a lot of people fly ARFs..I do..You know why?Because I fly 3D and I don`t have 30 hours to build a plane I may wreck doing high risk aerobatics..The hobby has changed and will change again..Change is the only constant..If you enjoy building planes then do it..There is no shortage of plans or balsa wood..I actually found I like fixing my crashed ARFs and I used to build them. I agree we have a lot less builders, but our hobby is better for it..this is what people that don`t fly think...you spend 3 weeks building it and crash the first flight..now you can order parts and keep going rather than get down on your ability to do this. The ARFs made the hobby better not worse..
It takes me longer to fix the flaws in a arf than it would just to build my own plane. I can see if you just want to fly 3-d where buying new planes all the time, but if you like flying a different plane than the rest of the herd then you build your own different plane. Alot of die hard builders will never be in to the lets all buy the new arf like 100 other guys in there club .We show up to our club meetings with our new scratch build with a different kinda swagger in our walk .lmao This is what gets to me also in these threads ,this is the builders forum but its always a arf flyer telling us how much they like shiny finish on their warbirds or how many planes they have crashed learning 3-d and they could not build enough to keep up with their losses so arf's it is. Bring us your wrecks and we can fix em for ya. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:50 PM
Marietta GA.
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
Different strokes for different folks Joe. It is a builders thread and I can appreciate that..Other people may do it differently, but I just threw out why I do it like I do..Jason
mazjag is offline Find More Posts by mazjag
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
I know jason ,but for some of us builders its not about how long it takes to build a plane but if no one else has seen one fly before . I fly during the day mostly on weekends but i build all week every day cause its fun building and flying. The time thing leaves you when you get my age and dont mean much to you any more . I flew my rear end off when i was younger but i started to notice some of the builders that flew on weekends only and the nice planes they brought with them . They had bomb bay doors that worked and canapies than slid open by them selfs ,custom paint jobs and weird flying stuff . If us builders when to the arf forum and told them that we thought they had waisted their money on cheap crap ,they would not like us to much . We hurt no one by building it ourselfs but people keep telling us that we should save our time and buy a arf. No bad feelings my friend but i would rather eat bark than buy any arf. joe
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:13 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I would rather eat bark than buy any arf. joe
Well said !

As stated many times before. I build for the journey. Building is an enjoyable pastime. It has provided me with countless hours of enjoyment.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
I have won some arfs in contests or at raffles /funflys but i sell them to buy balsa or foam to build my new planes with . joe
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:21 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazjag View Post
Give it maybe thirty years and BARFbuyers will fussing over how most folk buy a video game and don't buy a BARF and go out flying any more...

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
You got it dereck ! The only place that arfs have made it better is in china .
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,850 Posts

I'll tell you one thing..She's smarter than I gave her credit for..I'm gluing stringers into a 1/3 scale Fairchild,while she's drilling holes in control cable stand-offs for me.
It's 9:30 on a Saturday night,and she wants to help Mr.Earl with his airplane.If it's within my power,she'll learn to create with those hands,not stick someone else's parts together.
She feels what WE feel guys,and I'm lucky enough to be able to help her grow.
Don't ask me how to get people to build more...They have to want to !
It's all clear now..we can generate the skills,they donate the desire..

TODAY,I CONSIDER MYSELF ONE OF THE LUCKIEST PEOPLE..........
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread