HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 09, 2009, 05:27 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,460 Posts
I recently introduced someone back into the fold using electrics.. started with a hobbbzone cub and is now flying the brushless Trojan, real nice foam plane for not much money. The barriers to entry are just not there anymore as they were when he tried (and became disappointed) 30 years ago.

Those that ask me why I spend so much time building with the possibility of it crashing.. just don't get it and no amount of explaining will change that. It's all good. As long as there is balsa... I'll have an exacto in my hand . He did come into a goldberg kit for 17 bucks found at an estate sale and is going to give the kit route a go again. Who knows, maybe we'll have another builder among us.

One last thing.. the other night at our club meeting a member was selling a very nice 40" or so 3D ARF.. b/c he said, he didnt have time to "build" it. . The word build has certainly changed over the years... I prefer "assemble" for ARFs.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:24 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Thermalin, I'm with you on the Assembly vs Build for ARFs. However, I'm certain it's the Kit/Scratch folks that want the difference. Some recognition for going the far greater distance, would be nice. Maybe it's because the word Assembly has three extra letters in it over build, because after all, ARFs are all about saving time!

Might I suggest the word Assy? Build really can't be abbreviated, so now Assy. is shorter and more befitting ARFs!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Last edited by Mode One; Sep 10, 2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added a comma and changed a period to a question mark.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 06:53 PM
Feasting on Fokker's
Mechanicsburg,PA
Joined Aug 2009
30 Posts
Chalk one up in the "new builder" column as i'm planning a 4*40 as my 1st.
It will be my second plane (excluding a few small electrics i've quickly obtained) & a great winter project i'm looking forward to starting on.

Having done alot of plastic kit modeling on/off over the last 30 years, this concept (kit building) won't be unknown to me but it will be more daunting than plastic i.m.o.
That's a good thing though as i like a good challenge.

I chose the SIG kit after the club "elders" suggested it.
They're a helpful lot as i'd be incredibly lost w/o their help & support.
EddieOnYour6 is offline Find More Posts by EddieOnYour6
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:32 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOnYour6
Chalk one up in the "new builder" column as i'm planning a 4*40 as my 1st.
It will be my second plane (excluding a few small electrics i've quickly obtained) & a great winter project i'm looking forward to starting on.
The 4* is a super simple build, quite durable and a great flyer. YOu'll love it.
Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Sep 11, 2009, 03:48 PM
Joined Jul 2009
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOnYour6
I chose the SIG kit after the club "elders" suggested it.
They're a helpful lot as i'd be incredibly lost w/o their help & support.
My first kit was a Sig Somethin' Extral I've been nothing but impressed by the quality while building it. What kit have you chosen?
Dervall is offline Find More Posts by Dervall
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:27 AM
South - Africa
Joined Nov 2007
232 Posts
A business it could be, but I have seen to many people trying to make a business out off their hobby and usually somewhere in between the passion got lost. But if we get a group build going I'd be more than happy to assist my fellow builders to source whatever they need.
EINA is offline Find More Posts by EINA
Old Sep 12, 2009, 02:02 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
[... The passion got lost... ] As we say in German shared trouble is half trouble and shared pleasure is doubled pleasure ... so I decided not to go professional as money cures some things I also can damage others....

so I keep some distance between profession and modelling!!
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Old Sep 12, 2009, 09:32 AM
Morell, PEI, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
513 Posts
I'm a late jumper-in on this thread
Like John, I'm an oldtime balsa-butcher
But havent touched balsa in over a year.
I still build a lot, and modify--the RTF micro's,
and have astounding results and fun.
My workbench is a busy as ever
east6008 is offline Find More Posts by east6008
Old Sep 12, 2009, 01:02 PM
Dallas, Texas area
Joined Sep 2003
875 Posts
The way the club I am involved with tries to encourage kit building is by having an annual kit-building contest with cash prizes.
It is open to all members; the only rule to enter is no ARFs and you have to be the builder.

There is a beauty contest where the best builders are rewarded and there is a flying showdown where something like a profile fun fly could dominate.

In the beauty contest the models are judged on best application of covering, best color scheme, and best cock pit. Nice simple categories that work very well for us.
All of the members present vote for #1 - 3 in each category (including the kit builders).
Cash prizes are awarded for the top three entries.

There is also a flying element, which consists of a mandatory timed loop and a spot landing. The pilots also choose two maneuvers from a list. The pilot's choice maneuvers have a difficulty factor assigned to them and are judged by three members that are not participating in the contest.
Prizes are awarded to the top three entries here too.

Everyone enjoys the contest and it moves along pretty quickly so it is friend and family friendly.

For the most part it is a pretty casual affair, of course there are always a couple of planes that only have a couple of trim flights on them so some of the pilots are pretty tense during the flying showdown.
chashint is offline Find More Posts by chashint
Old Sep 12, 2009, 02:44 PM
Feasting on Fokker's
Mechanicsburg,PA
Joined Aug 2009
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervall
My first kit was a Sig Somethin' Extral I've been nothing but impressed by the quality while building it. What kit have you chosen?
I chose the 4 Star 40.

The Something Extra was a finalist as well as Great Planes kits Super Sporster & Ultra Sport 40.

I really like the Something Extra, moreso aesthetically than the 4*, but the latter won out on better second plane option as per the clubs suggestion(s).
EddieOnYour6 is offline Find More Posts by EddieOnYour6
Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:51 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,408 Posts
New Possibilities

Please take two minutes and read this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1111127
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:41 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Thank you for this lead, YYZ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz
Please take two minutes and read this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1111127
Old Sep 18, 2009, 08:40 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
The link above goes into detail about the decline of building in R/C and is certainly applicable to many other aspects of modern life. People will always come back with a quip about welcome to the modern era, something like "Lead, Follow; or, Get out of the way!" In actuality, I see somewhat of a resurgance in keeping the old ways alive! Ever read the Foxfire books, the fact that groups of individuals are into restoring, maintaining, operating old airplanes, cars, locomotives, farm machinery? This is wonderful, in my opinion! There can be a melding of the old and the new and it doesn't need to be at the expense of one; or, the other; but, quite to the contrary each can augment the other!
Old Sep 18, 2009, 08:56 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Some guidance please

Mode One,

I have read most of the 160 odd postings.

I am trying to find where you may have posted your own ideas on _ _ _

How do we bring model building back?

Your guidance where you posted your ideas would be appreciated.

It is fine to ask others their ideas. I am trying to find yours.

Thanks

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:59 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,342 Posts
The home front advises that a mailing tube arrived from RCM Plans. Looks like the trainer plans are waiting for me...

Will advise after I sit down with them.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Closed Thread