HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 05, 2012, 11:57 PM
Gainesville, FL
Joined Apr 2008
75 Posts
Although I enjoy building it is difficult to dedicate time to building in Florida because we can fly almost all year round. I have found myself gravitating towards ARF planes because I can spend less time in my workshop, and more time at the field.
xraymiller is offline Find More Posts by xraymiller
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:40 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I guess maybe that's the big difference between people who love building and those who don't; or, it is not as important too. The people who love building love to spend time in their workshops, building!

I should think Florida's summers to be their building season as it is so gosh-awful hot down there in the summer!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:43 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
The people who love building love to spend time in their workshops, building!
I think you've hit the whole issue square upside the head right there.

The R/C hobby is a huge hobby. Nowadays, people may gravitate toward the hobby by building ARF's at first, but everyone get's bored at some point and each person will expand into other parts of the hobby (such as building) or they will simply quit the hobby out of boredom.

For my part, some of the best times I've had in this hobby were spent at 1:00am in the morning on a weekend night listening to jazz in the background playing on my vintage Sansui stereo equipment and sipping on some Crown Royal while working on a scratch-build.
That's a real stress eraser right there.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Its building season here in IL and i almost got one done and two to go.lmao My tidewater pronto surpreme scratch build has taken me 10 hours till now and iam covering it. If i would have ordered a plane from china it would still be in the mail if HK ever shiped it at all. lmao I think i will name her oooold yelllerrr . Iam having more fun than a tornado in a trailer park. I might run her around the room and make motor noises if i get a couple more cups of coffie in me later. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Jan 07, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:53 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,966 Posts
invent a way to make sanding not suck. that's how we bring model building back
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Jan 08, 2012, 06:51 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Sanding is not my favorite part, either! However, once I get started with it, it has a calming and relaxing affect on me. Great Planes does/did make a power plane that hogs off copious amounts of material and may be helpful for you Toysrme! Also, I begin the sanding process with 80 grit which is very aggressive at removing stuff that doesn't look like airplane from the model.

Still, I'm fairly convinced, that sanding will be a part of building on into the future, so if you build, you are going to have to sand!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
I star out with 60 or 80 witch ever i have loaded on my sander but i dont like sanding much either . I have gotten better at not causing hanger rash and getting a airplane ready to cover and sanding but it is still my least favorite thing to do .joe
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:14 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,069 Posts
Haha... Yep.. sanding is probably my least favorite too.. Funny thing is, the more experience I've gotten over the years.. the more sanding I feel I need to do... Sanding might be the one of the key steps in separating good from excellent. Although there's some great tools out there, and some are desparately needed to do a job in a reasonable time.. nothing replaces a good finish sanding by hand.. I'm sure most would agree.
Good thread here guys..
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:21 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,767 Posts
Actually, I feel that some may carry sanding to an excess. I seldom use anything above 300 grit, but I regularly read about some builders going much farther.

Personally, I enjoy it.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:32 AM
United States, PA, Easton
Joined Jan 2009
125 Posts
The answer is, kids these days have super short attention spans; they expect immediate graitification; everything to them is now "virtual"; so video games rule, and "buillding" something,,, you must be dreaming!!!!!!!
smewr is offline Find More Posts by smewr
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:29 PM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smewr View Post
The answer is, kids these days have super short attention spans; they expect immediate graitification; everything to them is now "virtual"; so video games rule, and "buillding" something,,, you must be dreaming!!!!!!!
This might hold true for some, but I think you're over generalizing. I'm seventeen years old, and video games just don't hold my attention. I don't enjoy consuming content. I love creating, from "virtual" 3D modeling to scratch building a plane.

The immediate gratification assumption isn't completely accurate either. Sure, my generation may like our YouTube videos without waiting 5 minutes to load, but try telling the players who spend all year lifting weights for football season that they have no patience.

I think that every generation thinks the younger people are spoiled, have no patience, and aren't able to get along. Though it seems society has been progressing pretty well so far...
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
In the last year or so i have been using 3-m sanding pads ,they are around 6 inches by 6 inches and are like a wash cloth . They are great for just fine sandling by hand and cheap also. Good on you Wehrdo ,i know there are many out there like yourself soaking up all you can about building air planes ,we old farts just dont hear from you all the time. Keep up the good work and have fun building. I can build but maybe one day one of you computer kids can teach me how to draw with this dam thing! lmao. Naaa i will just keep using paper and pencil so i dont get confused. joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Jan 08, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:20 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,561 Posts
sanding

You've followed instructions,line for line
glue joints are perfect,alignments are fine.
everything's straight,with symmetrical taper,
now is the time for 100 grit paper.

Sandpaper,that is,the builder's 'lead ball'
the worst part of building is sanding it all!
First sand to satin,then sand to 'silk'
now take a break for some beer,or some milk.

-back at the work bench.rub it,and then,
to get it perfect,you gotta sand it again!
Earl McMullen
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
In the last year or so i have been using 3-m sanding pads ,they are around 6 inches by 6 inches and are like a wash cloth . They are great for just fine sandling by hand and cheap also. Good on you Wehrdo ,i know there are many out there like yourself soaking up all you can about building air planes ,we old farts just dont hear from you all the time. Keep up the good work and have fun building. I can build but maybe one day one of you computer kids can teach me how to draw with this dam thing! lmao. Naaa i will just keep using paper and pencil so i dont get confused. joe
Hi Joe
Don't play down drawing plans on the back of old wallpaper with a pencil!

Back in MD, I found myself with a spare wing from a BARF I won in a raffle and decided to build a nicer fuselage for it. Did it on my drawing board and some handy plain paper - far quicker to come up with a working drawing than with CAD!

When you draw a line with a ruler and pencil, you think about where its going and put it in the right place.

With CAD, you slap a line down, move it, stretch it, replace it with a curve, change the colour sometimes and generally aim for what one could laughingly call 'perfection'.

Thus a CAD plan takes ages longer than a pencil drawing.

So, if you like drawing up your model plans the good old fashioned way, you stick with it.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
I have changed many a new home plan by drawing it out on a deck or wall so my carpenters could get it right the first time. I have not drawn a airplane yet but i have built my own desighn ,just by cutting parts that would look good on the plane i was making. I figured that it was only for my flying and no one elses anyways. I might try drawing a plane very soon but i will do it like Ivan does ,all by hand then have copys made. joe
Closed Thread