Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2011, 08:40 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Very nice mate, very nice. I might start doing that on a few of my smaller models.

Very much appreciate the photos.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:14 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Pretty scale like shock absorbsion landing gear! Great job!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:26 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
The following are my observations and opinion on the state of this hobby, gleaned over the past 6 years I have been involved in the hobby, after a 9 year hiatus!

The focus of the hobby appears to have changed from "MODELING" to flying R/C aircraft! Previous to my 9 year hiatus I was involved in model aviation in various facets of Model Aviation since the mid 1950s. The only reason I outline my longevity in the hobby is to give my opinions and experience, validity.

Previous to the preponderance of ARFs and RTFs, people would say to me when they observed my hobby, either in my basement, in my shop; or, out at the flying field: "Oh, I could never do that" meaning they thought they had neither the skills; nor, patience to assemble a kit or build an airplane from scratch. At the time, I thought: "Well, that's fine, not everyone is cut-out to be in this hobby and I liked that this meant I was a part of a small group of like minded people who enjoyed each other's company and have so much in common"!

I'm finding that the "Brotherhood" of the hobby has deteriorated! The spirit of the "hobby" has become lost and like other modeling endeavors, I have doubts about the future of this hobby!

There will come a time when the "Third World Countries" producing the cheap ARFs and RTFs will demand higher pay and this will put an end to their availability! Will the hobby survive this fact?

So, the above is how I see things! I think there are many who see things similar to how I see them! Then, there are many who see things entirely different, which certainly is their right!

Thanks for your time!
Mark DeSchane
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:54 AM
South - Africa
Joined Nov 2007
232 Posts
Mode one, I realy do hope that this were not you're last post, nor that this tread will be closed. This is one of the few treads I do take the trouble to read and I've learned a lot about people and this great hobby of our's. This hobby nor any part of it is going to die.
Materials may change, the cheap ARF's may become expencive again ect,ect, change is unevitible, but fly will we fly and those who wants to build will build.

I hope every body will have a great and save 2012.
EINA is offline Find More Posts by EINA
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:31 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
There will come a time when the "Third World Countries" producing the cheap ARFs and RTFs will demand higher pay and this will put an end to their availability! Will the hobby survive this fact?
That's what is already happening in China.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:17 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EINA View Post
Mode one, I realy do hope that this were not you're last post, nor that this tread will be closed. This is one of the few treads I do take the trouble to read and I've learned a lot about people and this great hobby of our's. This hobby nor any part of it is going to die.
Materials may change, the cheap ARF's may become expencive again ect,ect, change is unevitible, but fly will we fly and those who wants to build will build.

I hope every body will have a great and save 2012.
Obviously not my last post and I have no intentions of closing this thread at this time.

Happy New Year to all!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:26 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,900 Posts
Quote:
The following are my observations and opinion on the state of this hobby, gleaned over the past 6 years I have been involved in the hobby, after a 9 year hiatus!

The focus of the hobby appears to have changed from "MODELING" to flying R/C aircraft! Previous to my 9 year hiatus I was involved in model aviation in various facets of Model Aviation since the mid 1950s. The only reason I outline my longevity in the hobby is to give my opinions and experience, validity.

Previous to the preponderance of ARFs and RTFs, people would say to me when they observed my hobby, either in my basement, in my shop; or, out at the flying field: "Oh, I could never do that" meaning they thought they had neither the skills; nor, patience to assemble a kit or build an airplane from scratch. At the time, I thought: "Well, that's fine, not everyone is cut-out to be in this hobby and I liked that this meant I was a part of a small group of like minded people who enjoyed each other's company and have so much in common"!

I'm finding that the "Brotherhood" of the hobby has deteriorated! The spirit of the "hobby" has become lost and like other modeling endeavors, I have doubts about the future of this hobby!

So, the above is how I see things! I think there are many who see things similar to how I see them! Then, there are many who see things entirely different, which certainly is their right!

Thanks for your time!
Mark DeSchane
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but personally I think you are way off the mark.

Go to the front page of RCGroups, slowly scroll down and look at all the numbers of people viewing all the different forums, (next to the forums title).
Visit more clubs, visit shows, looking the model magazines, the hobby is still going strong.

It isn't just about who's 'building', it's about how many new people are getting into the hobby.
The more beginners who get interested by starting with a RTF, ARTF, the greater the possible number who will one day decide to have a go at building.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 01, 2012, 06:37 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but personally I think you are way off the mark.

Go to the front page of RCGroups, slowly scroll down and look at all the numbers of people viewing all the different forums, (next to the forums title).
Visit more clubs, visit shows, looking the model magazines, the hobby is still going strong.

It isn't just about who's 'building', it's about how many new people are getting into the hobby.
The more beginners who get interested by starting with a RTF, ARTF, the greater the possible number who will one day decide to have a go at building.
I don't think that I can take your disagreeing with me, as being a surprise, Ray! And "surprisingly", I take your opinion as being "Way off the Mark", also!
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:14 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,900 Posts
Quote:
I don't think that I can take your disagreeing with me, as being a surprise, Ray! And "surprisingly", I take your opinion as being "Way off the Mark", also!
As I said we all have our own opinions.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 01, 2012, 12:23 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,321 Posts
I see good points in both you guys posts and us builders are all different with different ways of thinking. When a building issue comes up builders have thought of ten differtent ways to fix it . Lets not let the newbes see us argue but show them that unlike the arf threads we can get along. joe
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jan 01, 2012, 12:29 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Ray, had you just left the "way off the mark" comment out of your post I would would agree, we all have a right to our opinions! I have to admit, I have no idea what is going on in South Wales! Although unstated, I was not making a global comment on the state of the hobby as I only know what is going on locally. These means your comment on my being "way of the mark" is based on information you do not have.
Last edited by Mode One; Jan 02, 2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 08:00 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
One of the best things you can do is fly your kit builds or scarch builds, at the field. I got quite a few compliments on my recently maidened GP Clipped Cub kt build. Always nice to see something new and different at the field instead of ARF ARF ARF... The ARF guys are always amazed at how a kit build can take a beating and just keep going. These guys touch down the slightest bit hard and landing gear is busting off, Tail wheels breaking, Fuselages cracking if foam, etc... Some at the club seem to be getting a little tired of it so the time will soon come to swoop in and suggest a kit.

I've started up the BUSA 1/6 N17 again in this same thread category since the cub is completed if anyone is interested.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Last edited by Thermalin; Jan 01, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
One of the best things you can do is fly your kit builds or scarch builds, at the field. I got quite a few compliments on my recently maidened GP Clipped Cub kt build. Always nice to see something new and different at the field instead of ARF ARF ARF... The ARF guys are always amazed at how a kit build can take a beating and just keep going. These guys touch down the slightest bit hard and landing gear is busting off, Tail wheels breaking, Fuselages cracking if foam, etc... Some at the club seem to be getting a little tired of it so the time will soon come to swoop in and suggest a kit.

I've started up the BUSA 1/6 N17 again in this same thread category since the cub is completed if anyone is interested.
Thos are my best customers when i decide to part with one and toss it out at a airplane swap meet .lol Last tiime 5 guys started to bid on it before i could even give them a price and it whent 150 bucks over what i was going to ask for it. joe
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:22 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
[QUOTEMODE 1]Previous to the preponderance of ARFs and RTFs, people would say to me when they observed my hobby, either in my basement, in my shop; or, out at the flying field: "Oh, I could never do that" meaning they thought they had neither the skills; nor, patience to assemble a kit or build an airplane from scratch. At the time, I thought: "Well, that's fine, not everyone is cut-out to be in this hobby and I liked that this meant I was a part of a small group of like minded people who enjoyed each other's company and have so much in common"!

I'm finding that the "Brotherhood" of the hobby has deteriorated! The spirit of the "hobby" has become lost and like other modeling endeavors, I have doubts about the future of this hobby! [/QUOTE]

We're still in a small and close-knit brotherhood, and we're still building. As a percentage of flyers we may much less than there ever used to be, but there would be a lot more builders now than ever before. All this means is that the spirit is stronger and bond closer for those who build.

This is a good thing.

At my local field I always watch what other people take the most interest in. A few times it has been one of my models that is somehow unique or being flown in a way that isn't expected (eg thermalling my 32" balsa wing with the 2M glider boys). 90% of the time it is models that people have built themselves - they simply garner respect and admiration.

*Scurries back to cutting ribs for his 5ft flying wing glider*

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Closed Thread