HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:17 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
GUAM.USA
Joined Dec 2009
159 Posts
Me scratchbuild

Hey there Mode one.. I found your thread and have asked myself the same question.my Dad started me out with airplanes and can't get enough. as I got older and worked more..I got into the hobby more hardcore..for me atleast I get the greatest satisfaction of piloting either my own designs or kits..My friends freak out when it does happen to be a kit..mostly I build my own stuff cause its an aircraft rarely modeled or no one else makes..I love gliders,slopers thermal vintage, anything really..lately its motor gliders. all electric for the challenge..I can only see myself building cause all the modifications are up to me..I prefer making the choices..I live here in guam and the flying is awesome. maybe one ,possibly two guys build like us..wish there was more but oh well. I can say this " I'm probally the happiest when I taxi and take off cause its personally all me... I feel you man but atleast we keep the FAITH..keep in touch.. I'll post more of my stuff when I'mm not building..just finished a Stinson 108 40" electric..flying my RF-5 cabrio sperber every weekend..pics on this site
guamflyer is offline Find More Posts by guamflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:15 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rc View Post
I recently finished up my second ever kit and definitely have the building bug now, especially after flying my first old timer. What an absolute joy.

John
Looks like a quaker but i could be wrong .I have two or three old timers in my fleet ,i like to thremal them on hot days over blacktop. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
7 Posts
i know this is a old post, since im new i have alot of old reading to read.i have built all my planes and love to build, i now have my daugther of 24yrs old started to build, also started my 11 yr old grandson on his first u control, i think in todays time everything is faster, i know some flying buddys say they just dont have time or well thats all i know because my dad never built his!! maybe to get more builders back we need to teach our kids the joy of building, i lost a very dear friend last yr to a brain tumor he said he like flying my built models over a's they flew better, matbe its the love we put into them when building them,
buggiedad67 is offline Find More Posts by buggiedad67
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:02 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I think I've said this before in this thread; but, people make time to do the things they want to do. If you want to build, you will make time to do it! There are still the same amount of hours in a day, days in the week, weeks in the year, as there have always been! Some of us may be working longer hours then we did in the 70s, 80s and 90s and making less money for it! However, there are many more things to take up your free time now! So, you need to decide how your going to use it!

I've understood the calming affect and well being I get from building models since a child! Maybe people don't need this anymore; or, they get it from other activities, I don't know. However, for me the building is the most important part of the hobby!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:05 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,409 Posts
We make time for things that we want to do, and make excuses for why we can't do things that we don't want to do.

I have time to build my models, but I never seem to have enough time to wash dishes.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:15 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
828 Posts
There should always be a balance. For me it's family, work, hobbies/free time. Some days one of the three takes up more time but in the end it equals out.

People don't realize how much time they waste during a day. If you kept a log I bet you would be surprised. Maybe you go to the grocery store 4 times a week? Plan ahead and go once. Now you have 1.5-2 hours extra to work on what you want.

Sometimes you have to just "Do It"

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:09 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
We make time for things that we want to do, and make excuses for why we can't do things that we don't want to do.

I have time to build my models, but I never seem to have enough time to wash dishes.
There are probably plenty of people on the forums who would say they would love to build, but don't have time.

I can only assume they are spending all that forum time on works computers, not on their home ones. (Naughty naughty).

But then if they are at home, spending hours on the Internet certainly can cut building time.

I remember one thread asking for someone to assembly an ARTF for them .........They didn't have enough spare time
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:22 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
There are probably plenty of people on the forums who would say they would love to build, but don't have time.

I can only assume they are spending all that forum time on works computers, not on their home ones. (Naughty naughty).

But then if they are at home, spending hours on the Internet certainly can cut building time.

I remember one thread asking for someone to assembly an ARTF for them .........They didn't have enough spare time

Surfing the forums is what you do when waiting on things to dry. I currently have a coat of dope drying.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:18 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,407 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head Ray ,i cant tell you how many times in a thread i have seen a guy try to explain why he has no time to build. If they spent more time cutting out parts than making excuses of why they cant online, they could have gotten most of a kit cut out and built already. I think they try to make excuses for them selfs more than to us online. Another thing i have seen latley are guys making computer programs or cad for laser cutting and posting it here and there in the forums ,i guess to show he can draw with a computer but the plane never gets built and you never see a build thread ,just talked about. If i spent hours making cad drawings to get a laser cut short kit i could have cut all the parts out already and saved the money that the laser cutter wants also. BTW ,to all the builders out there merry X-MAS and hope you get plenty of fresh balsa and foam sheets under the tree. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Dec 21, 2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:19 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
This is all fascinating stuff. We have a 13 year old boy in the family - a really smart kid with, we all agree, a lot of potential. My regret is that he's a two day drive away because I can't get to him for a little 'indoctrination'. He's the eldest child and basically hides out in his room at home from an obnoxious six year old sister whose family nickname is 'COTU' - for 'Centre Of The Universe' - and a year old sister who is naturally the centre of all attention.

Result - he mostly plays video games. Maybe if I could get him into control of a model aircraft doing something for real, vice a brainburner - who knows? Maybe he could catch aeromodelling?

At some point, we'll be visiting them this year. Am going to take a model suitable for a little 'dual' along, see if our young guy can be tempted. Before anyone suggests we take the six year old along - that's right out, we know what she's been programmed to.

It's a long shot, but you never know. Something got me into aeromodelling over fifty years ago - no family members were involved, no outside inspiration, just got in there and did it.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:39 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,623 Posts
how did we get here?

It's like the congressman that can't describe" bad theater",but"he knows it when he sees it.'If I knew what started me ,and keeps me,I'd sell it.I get pleasure out of assembling ARFs,which I do for people who "don't have time",but it's pure joy to make ANY piece for a new aircraft!
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:42 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,409 Posts
With ARFs, all the fun stuff is already done for you. All that's left are the parts that I hate............radio installation, engine installation, etc.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:22 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
Anyone else have building projects going on out there that they would like to share; or, are we all just building ARFs this year?!?
I built this from some Peck Polymer 13in plans blown up 200%. I built it to replace my BNF UMX Beast, which I got bored of pretty quick. I added some scale shock absorbing landing gear since I plan on doing many touch and goes.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:51 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Great job Eclipse 7! The Peck penny planes always fascinated me!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:14 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Dereck - sounds like a good kid... maybe a balsa kit for birthday/Xmas is in order? Something simple and possibly freeflight/rubber powered. Thats how I got started.

Eclipse - looking good! How did you do the shockie landing gear?

- boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Closed Thread