SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 26, 2011, 07:16 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Although not to a new builder, I just got through sending plans and instruction for a Pica Aeronca Sedan to someone else for free, as I determined that my R/C "to do list" needed paring down! I have offered help and opinions to people who have posted here with questions on many occasions. When I have done so, I have done it through PMs, so it is more of a personal conversation, which I think is important as there is less chance for confusion; or, being overwelmed by the amount of different ways a task can be accomplished!

The above thought has caused me to go back to a contact to see how he is progressing.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:51 PM
United States, MI, Marquette
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Hi guys ! i just got my plans for Ivans twin otter and albatross both 84 inch wing span and its thanksgiving, it dont get any better than this! TO ALL YOU BUILDERS OUT THERE , HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY . joe
I am looking at doing Ivan's albatross next winter, hope to see a build log.

One thing I found daunting about building from plans was figuring out the materials needed. I spent quiet a bit of time going over the plans checking and rechecking before I ordered. Any tips ?
Taget is offline Find More Posts by Taget
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:18 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Taget after me building his solent already i have a few tips . First if you dont have one buy a balsa stripper and make your own balsa strips .The ones you buy you have no control over how soft they are and will most likly break when trying to bend. Second go to Luke z ,s ivan thread and look for capt ahab s albatross build ,A picture is worth a thousend words and the capt can build. third ,build it just like the plans and try not to change a thing . The only thing i changed on the solent was to add some light ply behind and in front of the wing i did not trust just 1/8 balsa where the wing bolts and dowl went through. And last but not least if you have any questions go to lukes thread and ask, there are alot builders of Ivan and happy to help you including me. joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710485
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Nov 26, 2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:34 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taget View Post
I am looking at doing Ivan's albatross next winter, hope to see a build log.

One thing I found daunting about building from plans was figuring out the materials needed. I spent quiet a bit of time going over the plans checking and rechecking before I ordered. Any tips ?
If you live close to a hobby shop that has a supply of balsa simply buy the balsa you need to complete whatever portion of the build your working on. In other words, start with small steps maybe the wing or tail feathers and get a taste of how the process works. By the next time you do your next "Scratch from plans build", you'll understand the process enough to buy all your Bill of Materials at one time.

If you do not live close to a hobby shop and need to drive some distance; or, order from a supplier such as Balsa USA; or, other, basically do the same thing, start with the tail feathers and figure out what you will need. Then do the wing and finally the fuselage. Break it down into manageable portions. Generally, if I find I need 4 sheets of 3/32nds for ribs, I'll buy 5, etc. I like having a stock pile of balsa around, also, if a sheet is unusable or I screw it up, I have an extra, ready to be used.

The entire process of building models is breaking the process down into manageable portions.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:08 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
balsa

Most of ivans frames are 3/16 sticks i make my own sticks out of sheets. Most of the sheeting is 1/16 sheets . Like i said it takes getting use to building ivans desighns cause they are so light . I most have broken 20 sticks before i finaly got sheeting on things to stop the wreckage,lol I get my balsa here and they had good stuff. joe http://www.nationalbalsa.com/default.asp
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:47 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,802 Posts
Just to show I hadn't nodded off, yet.....

Carrying on from my posts on the start of a Depron version of a balsa Spitfire, (posts #1296 and #1394), she has come on a little.

But I'm still in no rush.

By the way, it's all held together with pins and tape, so if it looks a little crooked........
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
National Balsa, Balsa USA, there are many companies selling balsa.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:13 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,217 Posts
Why use a naturally available renewable resource when you can make a petroleum product fly and then take 500 years to break-down in landfill?

I can't think of a single good reason. []
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:38 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
Why use a naturally available renewable resource when you can make a petroleum product fly and then take 500 years to break-down in landfill?

Someones got to keep the poor petroleum industry going, wouldn't wont them to go out of business and lay off all those happy workers.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:22 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:

Do we really need to go down this road? Certainly, what your saying has some validity. However, let's just get people building and not worry about the very, very small amount of polution being created by R/Cers building in foam!

Also, unless you cover in silk, silkspan or tissue, the coving material your using lasts a goodly long time in the landfill, too!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:48 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:

Looking back over your interests here at RCGroups, the above statement would seem incongruous, as you do build in FOAM! Maybe the above was said tung in cheek! If so, you fooled me, really funny, Ha ha!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:06 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Moving on from the subterfuge; or, joking, if that is what it was, I just hope that people look at building in what ever material they feel will work for them!

If you've read over this thread which now has more then 100 pages of posts in it. It is confusing what the actual health is of model building is in the U.S. Some people feel it is alive and well and some feel it is down for the count. My opinion is it is likely somewhere in the middle; but, I don't think it is growing and is most likely declining. What I think, isn't important to you and it's not very important to me, as long as I can find the materials I need to build the way I want from what I want, I'll be O.K. I can only do my best to promote this part of the hobby and that's about it!
Last edited by Mode One; Nov 28, 2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:36 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
I think you are correct about being in the middle of the road for new builders and i also think alot of the new builders are going to be building with depron and foam witch doesent bother me at all as long as they are building something at all. I wonder what builders sad when ca came out cause back then we were using ambroyd glue ,if i spelled that right. I was there when 4 cycle motors came out and i was trying to fly helis with no gyros on the tails cause theywere not invented yet. My club had john calland in it and he made hardware for the first flight sim put out by dave brown products and we got to fly it at a meeting before it was sold. We have seen 2.4 radios come out so we dont have to grab a pin before we fly now. There will always be builders and inventers in our hobby and just like mode one ,i try to help new builders any time i can. joe
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:31 PM
builds more then he flies
United States, WI, Almena
Joined Oct 2010
176 Posts
i didnt read this whole thread. so there.

But heres a thought / my story.

I always wanted to fly and build rc planes. when i was 10 (17 years ago) i always got tower hobbies catalogs and would shuffle through them till the pages were falling out. but of course could never afford or talk my parents into getting me anything. so 2 years ago i was working a new job and tons of overtime. i had money and broke down and bought a dynam hawk sky. i crashed and rebuilt that foam disaster over and over. but i taught myself to fly, fix, improvise, setup a plane, the do's and don'ts, and the importance of safety. i then moved on to scratch built foamies. loved them and still do. i got a edf rtf jet as a gift but never bought another rtf/rtf plane. I then met an old guy getting out of the hobby and bought a giant glider and a crashed plane from him for cheap. then some 40 size motors and such, and then he threw in his old field box and a BUNCH of stuff. spent my time rebuilding a wrecked sig lt40 that was given to me in a garbage bag.

so i feel i graduated to balsa kits. if i had spent the time building a balsa kit and then tried flying it like i did my hawk sky... it would have been game over lol.
toki891 is offline Find More Posts by toki891
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:41 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toki891 View Post
i didnt read this whole thread. so there.

But heres a thought / my story.

I always wanted to fly and build rc planes. when i was 10 (17 years ago) i always got tower hobbies catalogs and would shuffle through them till the pages were falling out. but of course could never afford or talk my parents into getting me anything. so 2 years ago i was working a new job and tons of overtime. i had money and broke down and bought a dynam hawk sky. i crashed and rebuilt that foam disaster over and over. but i taught myself to fly, fix, improvise, setup a plane, the do's and don'ts, and the importance of safety. i then moved on to scratch built foamies. loved them and still do. i got a edf rtf jet as a gift but never bought another rtf/rtf plane. I then met an old guy getting out of the hobby and bought a giant glider and a crashed plane from him for cheap. then some 40 size motors and such, and then he threw in his old field box and a BUNCH of stuff. spent my time rebuilding a wrecked sig lt40 that was given to me in a garbage bag.

so i feel i graduated to balsa kits. if i had spent the time building a balsa kit and then tried flying it like i did my hawk sky... it would have been game over lol.
You forget that when me and others started flying in the early 70s there were no arfs or foamys .If you did not build a kit you did not fly. I could have given up and waited for 20 years but i would have missed out on so much fun and all the flying friends i have made in the last 35 years .I also would not have a basement and garage full of airplanes either like i have now.lmao
Last edited by cracksmeup; Nov 30, 2011 at 04:01 PM.
Closed Thread