Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 28, 2009, 05:45 AM
Joined May 2009
233 Posts
Help!
Bad motor or bad Esc

I recently bought a Turnigy 35-30 c 1100 kv motor and Plush esc. I hook the motor up to an eflite speed control and the motor runs very good but after 5 seconds the motor seems like it locks up and stops. I am also seeing sparks coming out of the motor when runnign it wide open throttle. Hooking the turnigy esc to the turnigy motor the motor hickups and is very hard to get running. In order to get the motor to go wide open throttle, I have to introduce throttle very very slowly to get the prop moving first and then move the stick to wide open throttle. I have messed with the timing of the esc and nothing works. now the turnigy esc smells burnt and doesnt even work anymore. I plugged it into my corsair and ar 500 reciever and things go baserk when the esc is plugged in. Do I have a bad motor in which fried my esc or vise versa. I have read that motors can be reworked but I dont know if it would be worth it on this motor.
Danielocean is offline Find More Posts by Danielocean
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2009, 08:17 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,057 Posts
You should never see sparking in a brushless motor if it's operating properly. You may have some debris inside or a thrown magnet that damaged the wire insulation and created a short somewhere. That would quickly lead to ESC failure and possible battery damage. A bit of magnetic grit can easily be pulled into a motor and cause some binding.

It's pretty easy to take the rotor off and inspect the motor for internal damage. Look for grit, abraded insulation or loose magnets. Rewinding and/or other repairs is certainly possible and fairly easily done, so keep all the parts. I certainly wouldn't attempt to operate that power system any further. The ESC probably has been fried. You will need a DVOM and a wattmeter to look for shorts and to ensure that you are operating within safe limits. Good luck with the trouble shooting.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest