HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2009, 02:00 AM
Grant
Alberta
Joined Jul 2009
23 Posts
Help!
F4 Maiden Voyage Motor Blew up

Took my 90mm f4 out for its maiden voyage (bl Angel) wow is this thing beautiful. Flew great until motor made loud bang. I cut the throttle immediatly and landed roughly in the grass, missed the pavement by 2 feet. Upon examination it appears the fan fins broke off in flight. Anyone else had any problems. This was my first 90mm and it flew fine until I gave it full power wondering if these fans can take the stress or should we be checking balance and stuff when we get them.
PS
if you want a fast powerfull jet go for the 90mm this thing was unbelievable for an electric.
Grant
f355 is offline Find More Posts by f355
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2009, 04:01 AM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
The big F-18 from Banana... has had some failures. Problem the same components. I would guess this product is right on the edge in terms of design/stress tolerances...or there are MFG defects. Check the F-18 thread.

- RC
Captain Carlton is offline Find More Posts by Captain Carlton
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:22 PM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Good to hear you were able to save the aircraft. I have flown all colors of the F-4 and countless FA18's using the same fan. I have not had any fan blows as of yet. I am not discounting that your fan may have had a balance issue or even a weak blade. They are composite fans and any stress can cause a blade failure. Please PM me your order number and I will replace your fan for you. The F-4 flies really nice. I systematically stress tested the components on 2 of my F-4's using 8S on the stock set up and they are still flying. I will be looking for your PM with your order number and I will get you back in the air.

Pete
banana hobby is offline Find More Posts by banana hobby
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:31 PM
Germany
Joined May 2009
765 Posts
i am thinking all the time if i should buy this F4 or the F-18 but i have read in several threats in other forums about the ducted fan issues or motor blew ups.

i love both jets but it seems they really have a quality issue. i wish there was a video showing the F-4 in action, nothing found on youtube

thanksfully my small f-18 flys great without problems i just took a video with onboard cam out of the cockpit.
GaryX1001 is online now Find More Posts by GaryX1001
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:36 PM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryX1001
i am thinking all the time if i should buy this F4 or the F-18 but i have read in several threats in other forums about the ducted fan issues or motor blew ups.

i love both jets but it seems they really have a quality issue. i wish there was a video showing the F-4 in action, nothing found on youtube

thanksfully my small f-18 flys great without problems i just took a video with onboard cam out of the cockpit.

The 90mm F-4 and the FA18 videos will be made as soon as the skies clear of all the smoke from our brush fires the past few days. Air quality is extremely unhealthful as well. The V2 FA18 and the F4 are new V2 Fans as well. They have an aluminum spinner and the composite material has been increased in strength.

Pete
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:40 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:

Overall from the design I would prefer a F4 over an F/A18..the back wing design is just mind blowing.

I'am still thinking of which should be my next plane...F16,Tornado,EF2000(if pete one day will answer my questions,hehe)or the F4 or F/A18...the choice is hard for me...But I think I will stick so far to my EF2000.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:47 PM
Germany
Joined May 2009
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversommer
Overall from the design I would prefer a F4 over an F/A18..the back wing design is just mind blowing.

I'am still thinking of which should be my next plane...F16,Tornado,EF2000(if pete one day will answer my questions,hehe)or the F4 or F/A18...the choice is hard for me...But I think I will stick so far to my EF2000.
do i remember correctly, this is your first jet? if so, then you do nothing wrong with the ef2000. i wouldnt recommend the 90mm for a jet beginner. max speed is about 208kmh messured from aero-tech on the original starmax f-18.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:53 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
do i remember correctly, this is your first jet? if so, then you do nothing wrong with the ef2000. i wouldnt recommend the 90mm for a jet beginner. max speed is about 208kmh messured from aero-tech on the original starmax f-18.
My first EDF jet is sitting next to me, waiting to be maidened...but I'am not confident yet...not bout my skills..but for the ESC..heard some stories bout the ESC burning out...etc...I don't want that to happen and I can't open the belly part to reach onto it as it is glued togheter...

How crap is that? Should have bought the EF2000 from Pete when he would have answere my questions earlier...

I do regret a bit..I had to reinforce both wings with 3x carbon rods on each side..otherwise with time the wings would have come off..

Glue is Epoxy 5min.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 02:13 PM
Germany
Joined May 2009
765 Posts
what jet did you order?
Old Aug 29, 2009, 03:39 AM
Grant
Alberta
Joined Jul 2009
23 Posts
I got the f4 for the same reason the plane detail is phenominal
I will try to Pm you thanks pete
Old Aug 31, 2009, 01:33 PM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f355
I got the f4 for the same reason the plane detail is phenominal
I will try to Pm you thanks pete

Checking PM's now.

Pete
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:45 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
what jet did you order?
I ordered from HC the T38 Talon.

That is my 2nd youtube movie..showing the problems of the plane...

Here watch it

T-38 Talon Video Review Pt.2

@Pete

That would be my 2nd Jet..got my T-38 Talon...though did not maiden it yet..I don't trust the ESC much...waiting for my watts meter.

And Yes I will go for the EF2000...or even the F-4...F4 in the sky is just amazing as well.

My T28 goes 69mph with upgraded motor and my other glider jet with propeller in the back is doing 105km/h.

I'am used to speed...love it.

But I will go for medium speed jets first...

Allready having a night light's project coming up with my friend..due to the sky going darker now more and more earlier.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:20 PM
Germany
Joined May 2009
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversommer
I ordered from HC the T38 Talon.

That is my 2nd youtube movie..showing the problems of the plane...

Here watch it

T-38 Talon Video Review Pt.2

@Pete

That would be my 2nd Jet..got my T-38 Talon...though did not maiden it yet..I don't trust the ESC much...waiting for my watts meter.

And Yes I will go for the EF2000...or even the F-4...F4 in the sky is just amazing as well.

My T28 goes 69mph with upgraded motor and my other glider jet with propeller in the back is doing 105km/h.

I'am used to speed...love it.

But I will go for medium speed jets first...

Allready having a night light's project coming up with my friend..due to the sky going darker now more and more earlier.
feigling

i just crashed my belt cp v2 for no reason today, power loss and it ended on the ground. onboard cam recorded the crash. that might be the end of my heli flying, frustrating to crash badly for no reason.

get the jet in the air! its made to fly, not to sit on the ground. if it crashes, it was ment to crash
Old Aug 31, 2009, 08:04 PM
Grant
Alberta
Joined Jul 2009
23 Posts
Pete I think I PM'd you but I hate computers and do not really understand if you got it or not if you did and you notice this message just let me know .
Thanks Grant
Old Sep 01, 2009, 12:13 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
feigling

i just crashed my belt cp v2 for no reason today, power loss and it ended on the ground. onboard cam recorded the crash. that might be the end of my heli flying, frustrating to crash badly for no reason.

get the jet in the air! its made to fly, not to sit on the ground. if it crashes, it was ment to crash
Ach wirklich?? Ne das hat nix mit feigling zu tun

Well the thing is yes a jet is meant to be flying, that is true.
But on the other hand..when you get a nice piece of a plane of any sort you wanna make sure you check and test everything before you fly it.

The ESC's on the jet's are kinda like doomed to burn or crash in that matter.

Well I might get this baby up in the air today, but I am yet not quite sure about it..I just wanna get my Watts Up meter first, before I am going to fly this thing.

Last night I tested some night lighting on my T28.
Jeez that was amazing...only got like a 1 red bulb,1 green bulb and a white flashing one..the red on the right side,the green on the left and the white just underneath the landing gear....Got some pictures but cant put it on it yet.

Got some more lights for it...we are planning of making a ufo one of my friend...to light it up at night at 1 position..turn it off..fly quickly to another spot then turn it on again, lol!!

Jeez we have ideas....As you may have noticed..the sky is darkening now faster and we are moving towards winter time.

It is going to be 1 hell of year

Just love this hobby so much.

Neversommer.