SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2009, 09:59 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Barry
Do motors produce a squealing noise when over amping occurrs? A50-16S, CC-85HV(latest Beta version installed), Xoar 20x10, (New and fully charged)Rhino 25c 6s 4900mah = 87amps, 2,175 watts + Squealing noise and a Ramp Down.
....depending on how much flight time this setup got, pulling that many amps, and producing that many watts.....could have been a contributing factor.....just sayin'

If you think it's the motor, send it in to Hacker, if there is a magnet issue or some other mechanical problem they will take care of it, great service.
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2009, 10:39 PM
MK2
IT's A SLICK SICKNESS...
Long Island NY
Joined Oct 2008
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
That can be a signal of a magnet out of place. Not certain, but can be.

Welcome back from vacation...
MK2 is offline Find More Posts by MK2
Old Oct 02, 2009, 10:46 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
forgot to mention, got my Xoar 18x8 and 18x10 props. from Chief Aircraft today.......drilled out to 10mm, Hacker A50-16S adapter is 8mm.....so they're goin' back......
Old Oct 02, 2009, 10:58 PM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17
forgot to mention, got my Xoar 18x8 and 18x10 props. from Chief Aircraft today.......drilled out to 10mm, Hacker A50-16S adapter is 8mm.....so they're goin' back......

Yep. I knew you would get the bigger holes. I wonder why they had them drilled so big? I always get my Xoar's from them and I usually have to ream them out. That stinks Rob. The 18x10 Xoar is hard to find.

Cory
RC4x4 is online now Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Oct 02, 2009, 11:02 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17

Yeah that stinks, not sure why they make them so big. I was in a LHS today and they had a 20" Zinger and the hole was no bigger than 6mm I'm think. I'm still looking for something to act as a bushing for mine but no luck yet. I did try the masking tape someone suggested and it seems like it may work ok, at least for short term. I'll probably try it out Sunday unless I find something better tomorrow. I was hoping to find a nylon bushing with a 10mm od but hardware store #1 was a nogo. The clerk suggested another store with more selection that I'll try tomorrow.
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Oct 02, 2009, 11:08 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42
I'm still looking for something to act as a bushing for mine but no luck yet. I did try the masking tape someone suggested and it seems like it may work ok, at least for short term.
If you find the 18x10 Xoar, I'm in for (2)

That's just it "short term", I just can't bring myself to trust it on this plane.

It's just wierd, because 2-3 weeks ago I had several people point me to Chief for the 8mm.....now all of a sudden they are all 10mm. They checked remaining inventory, and they are all 10mm.
Old Oct 02, 2009, 11:20 PM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
For what it's worth...I got my 18x8 from esprit a couple days ago which was drilled to 8mm. Not sure about 18x10's, but who knows..
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Old Oct 02, 2009, 11:29 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
I'd even spend for an 18x10 carbon electric if I could find one 8mm or under, I found 18x8's
Old Oct 02, 2009, 11:41 PM
Allen, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
3,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx
I got seven flights on the Scorpion 4025-12 in the Slick and am quite pleased. I have had it lose timing once on the 19x8 very early in the pack. I was kind of expecting it, but restarted quickly. After about the first 15 seconds once the motor is either warmed up or the voltage drops slightly, it won't lose timing no matter what I do. It also won't lose timing on the 18x8, which is what I'll use going forward. 1750 watts is more than enough for me.

At this point, I'm still tinkering the CG. I'm having to put the packs pretty far forward to get close to neutral on the Scorpion system - much further forward than Joe had his pack with the Reaper and Ice. Very happy with the performance so far. Also added a 7%L, 3%R pitch mix and a 5% roll mix.

Really great flying model!

Scott
Thought you were running a 19x10? Did you switch?

Steve
davidsons is offline Find More Posts by davidsons
Old Oct 03, 2009, 12:06 AM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
Was running the Xoar 188 today. Want a little more. Put an APC 198 on and am getting almost 1500W now. I think I may want to try a 1910 and see what I get. I only have an ICE 75 in the plane and am pulling almost 71A with the 198... Need to figure out what prop before I plunk down the cash for another Xoar...

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Oct 03, 2009, 12:31 AM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf
Threshold, just set the CG as was described earlier. Take a good guess at where to place the battery (or use the manual), trim it so that it flies level right side up. Flip it over in flight and look to see what it does. Adjust your battery and re-trim until your plane flies neutral right side up and inverted or is slightly nose down inverted. Then your CG should be correct.
That's not the problem.

I was happy with the CG at 160mm for my maiden and would most likely have moved it back to perhaps 150mm.

My friend says the battery needs to go forward AND it needs lead in the nose.

He flies better than I do, so feels I should do what he says.

I want to show him that he is wrong and that somehow although he prefers it and flies real good, his CG is too far forward.

The only way I can do this is to find out exactly where AJ's CG is. Or anyone else that flies really well.

Or I simply have to ignore what he says in which case he probably won't give me any more advice.
Threshold is offline Find More Posts by Threshold
Old Oct 03, 2009, 12:36 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Any tuning, must (MUST) begin with CG. Do the roll-inverted test to start.

As a check, I fly my 70's with the CG approximately at the back edge of the carbon wing tube, although anywhere within 5-6mm of this is acceptable to me. For serious 3D hucking with wild ptich rates, back on the wing bolt is good (but gets difficult to land smoothly).

Most aerobatic planes have their wing tubes at the crown on their airfoil, and most balance like this. All of our double-taper planes (slicks/extras) do.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 03, 2009, 12:41 AM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx
At this point, I'm still tinkering the CG. I'm having to put the packs pretty far forward to get close to neutral on the Scorpion system - much further forward than Joe had his pack with the Reaper and Ice.
Scott
Scott, I have the same setup as you, would you mind helping to settle an argument, please can you measure your CG position on the wing and from the battery to the back of motor shaft?
Old Oct 03, 2009, 12:45 AM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,530 Posts
Thanks BB that's a big help. Exactly what I thought, in fact even further back than I thought. What my friend is doing is moving his CG further and further forward on his planes and then removing expo from his high rates. I just think something is wrong there. Perhaps I can convince him to think again if I can get enough examples together.

ps with the CG at about 160 the roll test needed a little bit of down so I don't want to move the CG forward.
Old Oct 03, 2009, 12:47 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Depends what he's trying to accomplish.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor