HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2009, 05:43 PM
Reno, NV
Joined Jan 2006
152 Posts
1625 watts on the APC 18x10 this is about all the system can safely handle. I tried a 19x8 (1765watts) and although the system did not ramp down I was getting a pop (like the prop came loose) when I quickly went from half throttle to max. I think the 19x8 was causing a timing issue. I dialed in my throttle curve and set up the throws and expo on the 9303, so, weather permitting (supposed to snow tomorrow) I will maiden in the morning. I have a feeling I am going to need a bigger system to handle a 20x10 prop at my altitude, but mabey it will surprise me.
Big Barry is offline Find More Posts by Big Barry
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2009, 06:20 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Barry
I have a feeling I am going to need a bigger system to handle a 20x10 prop at my altitude, but mabey it will surprise me.
What does altitude have to do with it? Watts are watts with electrics.....not like IC engines. As long as you are propped to get the same watts as someone at sea level, then your plane will perform the same as them.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Oct 02, 2009, 06:39 PM
WAR EAGLE
Parrish Fl
Joined Apr 2004
1,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewsb
I used green loctite. The idea is to just create a bond layer between shaft and collet so the collet doesn't slip off from gaps. The pressure from the prop being locked down will ensure that bond layer stays secure. If you use red loctite, I doubt you'll ever get that prop adapter off without some cutting.

So far after 7 flights on mine I feel confident the collet won't slip.

Just my $0.02,
Bruce
Anytime you want to loosen something after using green or red just hit it with a small butane torch if possible. Comes right off.
callen is offline Find More Posts by callen
Old Oct 02, 2009, 06:52 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,520 Posts
Quote:
I used green loctite. The idea is to just create a bond layer between shaft and collet so the collet doesn't slip off from gaps. The pressure from the prop being locked down will ensure that bond layer stays secure. If you use red loctite, I doubt you'll ever get that prop adapter off without some cutting.

So far after 7 flights on mine I feel confident the collet won't slip.

Just my $0.02,
Bruce
I thought the green locktite was stronger than the red. I know that's what I use for pinion gears for my inrunner gear drives. Even with blue locktite you will have a challenging time getting the collet off, but with the others, it's going to be a nightmare if you bend a shaft.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2009, 06:57 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold
Manta I am using a Scorpion S4025-12 Like Simon's its about 2 oz lighter than the Hacker but did balance on the front of the wing tube, I know everyone has a different idea of CG position, some people preferring a more forward position others more backward, I'm curious to know where AJ and Bone Doc have balanced theirs. I think its easy to fall into the trap of using a CG either too far forward or too far back with planes like this that are so tolerant of CG position but then have problems with coupling or prop hanging or ballooning on idle or rolling harrier etc. I'd prefer to set my CG the same as AJ's or Bone Doc's and learn to fly it like that than get into bad habits with a too forward or too backward CG if that makes sense.
Threshold, just set the CG as was described earlier. Take a good guess at where to place the battery (or use the manual), trim it so that it flies level right side up. Flip it over in flight and look to see what it does. Adjust your battery and re-trim until your plane flies neutral right side up and inverted or is slightly nose down inverted. Then your CG should be correct.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2009, 07:24 PM
Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2008
327 Posts
I guess I always thought blue was stronger than green. On my helis I use green on the pinions as well and just hold a soldering iron to the tip of the shaft for about 20 seconds and pull it off. Haven't tried pulling off the prop adapter on the Slick yet since its been mounted but hopefully that won't need to happen anytime soon.
brucewsb is offline Find More Posts by brucewsb
Old Oct 02, 2009, 08:04 PM
Reno, NV
Joined Jan 2006
152 Posts
GP
You are right my altitude has nothing to do with it, if my system could handle more watts I would continue to prop up until I achieved the desired out put.
If a system is maxed out you cant get any more out of it with out it over heating and shutting down or worse. The 20x10 prop was pulling 87 amps (2175 watts) , the ESC was ramping down and the motor was squeeling like a stuck pig, like it had timing issues. I have the CC 85-HV set to out runner timing. I can change the settings and try to get the timing set for a bigger prop but I dont think the A50-16S is up to the task. The way its set up my system does not like more than 1700 watts. What timing is every one using on the CC85-HV?
Old Oct 02, 2009, 08:06 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Quote:
...just hold a soldering iron to the tip of the shaft for about 20 seconds and pull it off......

Um. Nevermind.......
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Oct 02, 2009, 08:08 PM
Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2008
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala
Um. Nevermind.......
Ha ha
brucewsb is offline Find More Posts by brucewsb
Old Oct 02, 2009, 09:14 PM
Allen, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
3,520 Posts
Roflmao
davidsons is offline Find More Posts by davidsons
Old Oct 02, 2009, 09:18 PM
Recovering nitro addict
Everett,Washington
Joined May 2005
831 Posts
Green, blue, red. in order of strength.Jeff
papa38 is offline Find More Posts by papa38
Old Oct 02, 2009, 09:22 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
just hold a soldering iron to the tip of the shaft for about 20 seconds and pull it off. Haven't tried pulling off on the Slick yet since its been mounted.
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Oct 02, 2009, 09:32 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
I got seven flights on the Scorpion 4025-12 in the Slick and am quite pleased. I have had it lose timing once on the 19x8 very early in the pack. I was kind of expecting it, but restarted quickly. After about the first 15 seconds once the motor is either warmed up or the voltage drops slightly, it won't lose timing no matter what I do. It also won't lose timing on the 18x8, which is what I'll use going forward. 1750 watts is more than enough for me.

At this point, I'm still tinkering the CG. I'm having to put the packs pretty far forward to get close to neutral on the Scorpion system - much further forward than Joe had his pack with the Reaper and Ice. Very happy with the performance so far. Also added a 7%L, 3%R pitch mix and a 5% roll mix.

Really great flying model!

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Oct 02, 2009, 09:53 PM
Reno, NV
Joined Jan 2006
152 Posts
I think its the motor, I think I got a lemon. Its starting to squeal all the time now. I tried every combo in the Castle link for timing and it doesn't make any improvement. As a matter of fact its worse now. Tomorrow I will swap the motor out. If its the motor it will go back to Hacker on Monday, could also be the ESC so Castle might get a return as well. Its funny, I have a Turnigy system from HK that hasn't given me any problems and it does 1800 watts off of the same 6S 25C 4900mah lipos and that system cost half as much as this one. I might pull it out of my 3-D Mayhem that I converted and use it in the Slick until I can get the Hacker/Castle system sorted out.
Old Oct 02, 2009, 09:55 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
That can be a signal of a magnet out of place. Not certain, but can be.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor