HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2009, 02:27 PM
Pro Bro #1008
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Sep 2003
4,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsons
Nope but I'm testing that motor for a friend who has a 70" Slick and if it works out, I'll be using it in another plane I have but I've had it for a couple years now.

Oh...whew..! Thought I was gonna have to break out meh trenchcoat!
birdie_in_texas is offline Find More Posts by birdie_in_texas
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2009, 02:36 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
What prop would you recommend at sea level?
I'm thinking an 18x8. I generally have to add and inch in pitch and diameter to match sea level.

Blue Loctite.
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Oct 02, 2009, 02:37 PM
Allen, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
3,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx
I'm thinking an 18x8. I generally have to add and inch in pitch and diameter to match sea level.

Blue Loctite.
Do you think blue is sufficient?
davidsons is offline Find More Posts by davidsons
Old Oct 02, 2009, 02:37 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold
Help, could Andrew Jesky and Doc Austin post their respective CG settings from the wing root. My friend who flies much better than me is insisting I should have my battery as far forward as possible and put lead in the nose for a CG of about 145 from the leading edge at the root. I think that would be wrong. Anyone else who would like to chime would be very welcome.
if youre running the reaper gr 60 xl,and a 6s 5000 battery,put the battery 4-6 inches behind firewall and fly it.
heck i went i think about 5 inches and flew it,forgot to even check cg..powerlines remembered as i took off and said oh crap!just as it lifted off ground....aj slick doesnt bite...i even moved battery back from there after that flight.lol
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Oct 02, 2009, 02:38 PM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Whats the consensus on pull pull cables being too tight? I've heard it will sap the power a bit....

Mine aren't guitar string tight, not close, but are noticeabley tighter than my other planes (55's etc..). I'd rather not thread out the ends of the ball links further as they're in the stock location and screwing out too much causes only a few threads to be grasping the link which isn't secure. I tested the amp draw, and it doesn't go over 0.3 amps with fast movement back and forth(hs-985). I've already crimped the tubes and glued them...

Also I noticed when pushing the included hitec long arm on, it took a decent amount of force before it snapped on. I took it off to make sure nothing stripped out (paranoia..woohoo!). It looked fine, but not quite as 'clean' as a new one. I assume this is fine? It feels as snug as any other with no slop. It's hard to describe it without making it sound worse than it is.
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Old Oct 02, 2009, 02:39 PM
Triple boxed goodness!
United Kingdom, Doncaster
Joined Sep 2008
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold
Help, could Andrew Jesky and Doc Austin post their respective CG settings from the wing root. My friend who flies much better than me is insisting I should have my battery as far forward as possible and put lead in the nose for a CG of about 145 from the leading edge at the root. I think that would be wrong. Anyone else who would like to chime would be very welcome.
Threshold, I'm on a different setup to you but my pack just covers the 'Shop' in 3D Hobby Shop on the front part of the tray...so almost in the middle.
simon737 is offline Find More Posts by simon737
Old Oct 02, 2009, 02:40 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
those cables i bet will loosen some,if the servo aint hummin or sounding funny,and you cant play a song on it,rool it bro!
Old Oct 02, 2009, 02:49 PM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1
those cables i bet will loosen some,if the servo aint hummin or sounding funny,and you cant play a song on it,rool it bro!
It hums a bit which I attributed to trying to find a spot to stop at. When I hold at max deflection for instance, it may hum, but if I barely wiggle the stick in one direction or the other, it will quit.

edit: Switched the arm out to the other one I had just in case. Fit much better. The cables are still tight, but I think it will be fine.

On to the elevator!
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Last edited by Zero3803; Oct 02, 2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2009, 03:05 PM
R.I.P. my 70" FB Slick
Moody, AL
Joined Jan 2006
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero3803
Also I noticed when pushing the included hitec long arm on, it took a decent amount of force before it snapped on. I took it off to make sure nothing stripped out (paranoia..woohoo!). It looked fine, but not quite as 'clean' as a new one. I assume this is fine? It feels as snug as any other with no slop. It's hard to describe it without making it sound worse than it is.
The included arms take a fair amount of force to get them to pop down on the spline. When they do they usually pop on kind of like you're describing. Nothing to worry about.
Wildman777 is offline Find More Posts by Wildman777
Old Oct 02, 2009, 03:20 PM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon737
Threshold, I'm on a different setup to you but my pack just covers the 'Shop' in 3D Hobby Shop on the front part of the tray...so almost in the middle.
Thanks Simon, this is what I thought, I flew mine with the CG at the front of the wing tube and it felt fine but my friend was to move the battery an inch forward and add a full strip of lead to the nose!
Threshold is offline Find More Posts by Threshold
Old Oct 02, 2009, 03:38 PM
Triple boxed goodness!
United Kingdom, Doncaster
Joined Sep 2008
1,552 Posts
Lead!! hhmmm not sure about that one...
simon737 is offline Find More Posts by simon737
Old Oct 02, 2009, 03:40 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
threshold what motor combo are you runnin?
Old Oct 02, 2009, 04:09 PM
Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2008
327 Posts
Quote:
I used green loctite. The idea is to just create a bond layer between shaft and collet so the collet doesn't slip off from gaps. The pressure from the prop being locked down will ensure that bond layer stays secure. If you use red loctite, I doubt you'll ever get that prop adapter off without some cutting.

So far after 7 flights on mine I feel confident the collet won't slip.

Just my $0.02,
Bruce
brucewsb is offline Find More Posts by brucewsb
Old Oct 02, 2009, 04:22 PM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1
threshold what motor combo are you runnin?
Manta I am using a Scorpion S4025-12 Like Simon's its about 2 oz lighter than the Hacker but did balance on the front of the wing tube, I know everyone has a different idea of CG position, some people preferring a more forward position others more backward, I'm curious to know where AJ and Bone Doc have balanced theirs. I think its easy to fall into the trap of using a CG either too far forward or too far back with planes like this that are so tolerant of CG position but then have problems with coupling or prop hanging or ballooning on idle or rolling harrier etc. I'd prefer to set my CG the same as AJ's or Bone Doc's and learn to fly it like that than get into bad habits with a too forward or too backward CG if that makes sense.
Old Oct 02, 2009, 04:24 PM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Blue is recommended in the Scorpion motor thread