HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:28 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,208 Posts
Motrofly Connection

Just recieved my Motrofly 4325/380 for my 70" Slick. I know it is recomended to solder the reciever wires directly to the motor wires (that is what I did to my Fried Reaper) but just wondering if anyone has used the bullet connectors with no problems.

gofly
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:43 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,726 Posts
I never use the bullet connectors that come on the motors... I use 5.5mm Castle bullets on the motor connections, and as I usually need to extend my wires from my ESC, I use 6.5mm Castle bullets there. I also put the wires for the BEC into the same 6.5mm bullets, so no stripping the wires at another point and soldering them in. I put heat shrink tubing over each connector, then put some "Caig De-oxit" in the bullets, and then I put another piece of heat shrink tubing over the joint once they are plugged together. This way they can't come apart.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:32 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,446 Posts
The motrolfly bullets have been working on the 72SC with no issues for over 100 flights. I checked those bullets and they were tight. I taped them so they wouldnt come apart. The ones on the slick I was in a rush and didnt check to make sure they mated tightly and they burned up b/c of it. So Im sure as long as you make sure they are good and tight you should be fine
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:46 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
The motrolfly bullets have been working on the 72SC with no issues for over 100 flights. I checked those bullets and they were tight. I taped them so they wouldnt come apart. The ones on the slick I was in a rush and didnt check to make sure they mated tightly and they burned up b/c of it. So Im sure as long as you make sure they are good and tight you should be fine

I wonder if it do any good to connect the bullet connectors them solder them together
Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:48 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,446 Posts
I tried that and it doesn't work that well(I eevn have a 250Watt gun and couldn't get it to work right)
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:51 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I tried that and it doesn't work that well(I eevn have a 250Watt gun and couldn't get it to work right)
By that you mean you could not get the solder to flow in to the connectors.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:13 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
I could do it with a 50w gun if I used flux. Flux is the secret to soldering.
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:15 PM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,875 Posts
I am buying a crimper and going Power Poles in the morning. Bonus is I don't need an adapter to run 8S. I am tired of pulling deans apart especially on the Vyper where there isn't a lot of room. I will crimp and maybe even solder them after crimping, but I am taking the plunge....
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:17 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,726 Posts
I tried using the Trinity liquid flux, and it made the Deans have bad connections if it got inside of the female plugs. I stopped using it.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:20 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
I am buying a crimper and going Power Poles in the morning. Bonus is I don't need an adapter to run 8S. I am tired of pulling deans apart especially on the Vyper where there isn't a lot of room. I will crimp and maybe even solder them after crimping, but I am taking the plunge....
I actually like to solder things, especially when they can be "sweat" soldered. When I have used Power Poles, I would insert the wire into the sleeve, and sweat solder them in...great connection that way.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep View Post
I actually like to solder things, especially when they can be "sweat" soldered. When I have used Power Poles, I would insert the wire into the sleeve, and sweat solder them in...great connection that way.

SteveT
Explain please....
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:28 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,726 Posts
First you need a good hot iron.....put the wire into the sleeve of the metal part of the Power Pole. then apply the iron to one side of the sleeve, and apply solder to the wire on the other side (or on top of the wire). Heat until the solder flows into the wire and sleeve. If you have a good hot iron, the solder will literally suck right into the joint. As noted a good flux can help. Just make sure it is an electronics flux, not an acid flux as used for copper pipe etc. A Weller SP40LK with the wide tip will work quite well.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:29 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,875 Posts
Thanks!! I will do that.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:39 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,726 Posts
I also solder bullet connectors the same way. I have a piece of plywood with various size holes drilled into it, that holds different sizes of bullets. I use a "helping hand" to hold the wire in position in the "solder cup" of the connector, then apply heat to the side of the connector, and when the connector is hot enough, apply solder into the solder cup of the connector (which is facing up) and allow the solder to flow into the solder cup and wire. Once the solder cup is full remove the iron and allow to cool.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:26 AM
USA, MI, Lansing
Joined Aug 2009
245 Posts
I'm going to build a 71" gas Slick. This will be my first gas plane and first plane this big. Can someone help me out on what I should be using for the ignition battery and Rx battery? Also what kind of switches do you like to use? I currently fly glow in the .40-.60 size.
Hewey19 is offline Find More Posts by Hewey19