HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:45 PM
How can we stop winter?
Frederick, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,337 Posts
Almost!!!

Just over 15 hours to 57" SC delivery for Colorado 3DHS addicts!!!

Niccceeee.
Jeff
flyinhigh025 is offline Find More Posts by flyinhigh025
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:08 PM
Tx
Joined Oct 2008
1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadamian75
David,

If you prefer gorilla glue and it's faster than I will use it instead of epoxy. After about 1/2 hour if it's not expanding anymore I should not have to check it correct? I would really love to have this plane done Saturday so I can build the 57" 330 Sunday. Hopefully tuesday I will maiden both.
Joe
I'd watch it closely for the first half hour to an hour, and then periodically after that until you know it's completely dry. Depending on how damp the surfaces are and how humid/hot it is the day you're gluing will depend on how fast and how much it foams up. After gluing the 103" rudder hinges in TX I really noticed the glue dries differently up here without the humidity and with our altitude (assuming the difference in the air density has something to do with it).
tjhawker is offline Find More Posts by tjhawker
Old Sep 11, 2009, 01:10 AM
Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2008
327 Posts
Anybody here have any issues with the EF spinner causing a balance problem? I ran the motor up with the spinner off (backplate on) and it was smooth but with the spinner on I got lots of vibration above mid stick. Might order a second one just to be on the safe side but thought some may have have seen this.
brucewsb is offline Find More Posts by brucewsb
Old Sep 11, 2009, 01:18 AM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,542 Posts
I have had really good luck with the EF spinners. Check your prop balance and make sure the blades are tracking evenly. That's usually where my vibration comes from. Well that and loose motor mount bolts.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
Old Sep 11, 2009, 01:41 AM
Fort Collins Colorado USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymc
Well it was a good day!
My Blue Slick was sittin' on my porch when I got home. I've started the build tonight and I'm just so impressed by the quality of this aircraft. Just outstanding! This is my first 3DHS aircraft, and I can see why you guys are nuts over them! I'm not a fast builder but even so, I don't think it'll take me more than a week to complete this beauty.

Harry
What size pilot was that and did you have to cut the shoulders?
jadamian75 is offline Find More Posts by jadamian75
Old Sep 11, 2009, 02:24 AM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,531 Posts
Harry wait till you fly it then you will be impressed.
Threshold is offline Find More Posts by Threshold
Old Sep 11, 2009, 02:37 AM
Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2008
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf
I have had really good luck with the EF spinners. Check your prop balance and make sure the blades are tracking evenly. That's usually where my vibration comes from. Well that and loose motor mount bolts.
I just went and spun up the backplate only with the motor mounted to a board it vibrated fairly bad - smooth without backplate. Used a Sharpie to mark the high spots on the outside and the flat part and saw some misalignment. It actually looks like it was not formed too straight. Time to order another and hope its better.
brucewsb is offline Find More Posts by brucewsb
Old Sep 11, 2009, 04:11 AM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,542 Posts
A while back in one of the threads (maybe the 68" Velox) I read that there was a problem with the servo arm screw coming loose on this size plane and Scott used some glue to hold it in place other then loctite. Anyone remember what that glue was?
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
Old Sep 11, 2009, 06:47 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
I use the canopy glue. You can use the silicone glue, blue loctite, hot glue, essentially anything to prevent the screw from backing out will work.
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:04 AM
Quit Chucking My Wood
USA, TX, Amarillo
Joined Dec 2003
1,263 Posts
What's This For

I received my Slick yesterday afternoon and promptly started the build. I found this jammed under the battery tray and the bottom of the fuse. It was not glued in. Any ideas what this is for? I took a quick look at the manual and didn't see any mention of it.

Thanks,

Rich
rthorne is offline Find More Posts by rthorne
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:08 AM
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf
A while back in one of the threads (maybe the 68" Velox) I read that there was a problem with the servo arm screw coming loose on this size plane and Scott used some glue to hold it in place other then loctite. Anyone remember what that glue was?

The one Scott mentioned was Permatex Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker. I also Like Bonedocs suggestion of using hot glue.
Joe
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:37 AM
How can we stop winter?
Frederick, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhawker
I'd watch it closely for the first half hour to an hour, and then periodically after that until you know it's completely dry. Depending on how damp the surfaces are and how humid/hot it is the day you're gluing will depend on how fast and how much it foams up. After gluing the 103" rudder hinges in TX I really noticed the glue dries differently up here without the humidity and with our altitude (assuming the difference in the air density has something to do with it).
Despite the time issue, I am a big fan of gorilla glue after using it exclusively on my 87" SHP. It has far better gap filling capabilities as compared to epoxy and is very easy to work with IMO.

Jeff
flyinhigh025 is offline Find More Posts by flyinhigh025
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:40 AM
Go guerrilla
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2005
4,899 Posts
Rich, I suspect that's just a scrap piece.

I think I will use hot glue on my servo screws, good tip...

I've made only a small amount of new progress, stab glued and first elevator half drying now. Wired up the motor (I'm trying A50/12L this time) to the HV85. I tend to OCD over the minute measurements of the stab on any build. I'd wish all planes had a straight line at the bottom of the tail (a stringer for example) to make it easy to check stab alignment with a T square. When I got the Slick stab done I went ahead and did my Vyper too just to get it over with Anyhoo... I'm hoping to have this Slick wrapped up soon (even at my sluggish pace). They're predicting rain all weekend (we need it!) so who knows...
jfv61 is offline Find More Posts by jfv61
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:59 AM
Quit Chucking My Wood
USA, TX, Amarillo
Joined Dec 2003
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfv61
Rich, I suspect that's just a scrap piece.
John,

That's what I was thinking, but just wanted to double check.

Progress is going quickly. I had all the covering cut out where needed and the horizontal stab installed. Hinge points were installed in the elevator's and rudder along with the control horns. This evening I should get the elevator's and rudder installed followed by radio/motor/esc install . I think a Saturday test flight is pushing it, but Sunday shouldn't be a problem.

Looking forward to bringing it with me to Austin next weekend.

Rich
rthorne is offline Find More Posts by rthorne
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:03 AM
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
Package intercepted!

I could not wait any longer after tracking the package for days I saw it arrived at the distribution center 3 miles from my house at 430AM I drove over and picked it up at 7am this morning. Its a lot better than waiting all day.

Joe