HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:21 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
I was running a Xoar 18x8. But considering that the GR60XL comes down between 130 and 160 degrees after every flight, I don't have confidence that the motor could handle a 18x10. The 18x8 on the reaper will be fine for my 65" Vyper though. So far I am liking the hacker although I had a little mishap today when flying. This is a first for me, but I was doing a really high speed loop and at the top I started rolling practicing the backside of a rolling loop. I was going too fast (and rolling too hard) and I heard a pop and the wing pulled away from the fuse being held on only by the servo connector (thank god for servo connector keepers). The wing was perpendicular to the fuse and was causing the plane to flip anytime power was added, so I ended up letting it loop a few times on the way down and when I got low enough I pulled it into a harrier at the bottom of the last loop and drop it down nice and gently.

As it turned out, the wing bolt was still screwed into the wing, but it pulled clean through the ply reinforcement in the side of the fuse. That's a first for me, but again, I was putting so much stress on the airframe doing the bottom quarter of a rolling loop with that much speed. Not the planes fault, just me having a little too much fun with the throttle. Luckily, the plane came out of it fine and will only need a little bit of work to fix the wing bolt mount in the fuse.
WOW good save
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2011, 08:37 AM
www.rcdude.com
Joined May 2006
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep View Post
Call Randy at RCDude.com (or set up an account and order online). Randy is a great guy to deal with and ships very fast. I ordered some Xoar props while at the field on Friday (you just have to love iPhones), at about 2:30, by the time I got home, there was an email time-stamped for 3:15 showing them as being shipped!!

SteveT

I agree Steve.....Randy ( RC Dude ) is on the ball when it comes to shipping! I try to get just about everything I can from him. If he sells it , I'll buy from him. With him being so close to , I usually have it at my house the very next day , or the day after. Plus , he is as honest as they come.
JEFFRO503 is offline Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
Old Feb 14, 2011, 08:38 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,470 Posts
I think you fly harder than I do..... Gotta figure how to roll before trying that rolling loop Baby steps....
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:25 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
DaLOAf killer save bro!!!
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:29 AM
Tampa , FL
Joined Sep 2003
156 Posts
Does any one have photos of the install for the hacker A50-12l , ICE100 , CC-BEC pro & 6cell 5000mah packs? I would like to see the positions ,wiring and how they were secure to the airframe. Also should I use connectors for the Ice100 esc to motor wires or just solder them together?
Thanks
Luis
relax1 is offline Find More Posts by relax1
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:35 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
there aren't really many options for install.

The Motor obviously has only one position.
The ESC ties with Zip ties to the side of the motor box.
We place the CC BEC pro on the bottom of the motor box, again with Zip ties.

For the maiden, the battery is placed about 2" behind the firewall.

We don't recommend any connectors, jut solder the ESC and motor together for reliability.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:32 AM
Tampa , FL
Joined Sep 2003
156 Posts
Thanks for the info
Luis
relax1 is offline Find More Posts by relax1
Old Feb 14, 2011, 02:00 PM
Chicago
Joined Jul 2004
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOFAST4U2C View Post
Can someone tell me the spacer size/length for the Hacker A50-12L mounting on the 71" please? Did you go with the Plastic or the wood included by 3DHS. Thanks Jack
I am at that step in my build too. I found that APC collars were too short. The wood spacers that came with the plane are too long for that motor (IMHO). I went to the hardware store yesterday and got four 1/4" long nylon spacers. They seem to put the a50-12l at the perfect distance on my new 71".
huck328 is offline Find More Posts by huck328
Last edited by huck328; Feb 14, 2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 02:08 PM
The Twisted Elf
USA, NJ, Trenton
Joined Nov 2010
453 Posts
any pictures of these installs and recommended setups,motor,esc and the such, pictures do wonders
lugnutz is offline Find More Posts by lugnutz
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:43 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Let me re-phrase.....

I remember reading about some one or more than one that does a preventive Gorilla Glue job or something similar for structural support of the wood around the landing gear. I am thinking inside of fuse??

Can someone point me to a thread, blog, pics?

Thanks
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Feb 14, 2011, 04:16 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,464 Posts
All you have to do is poor gorilla glue into the landing gear block on the inside of the fuse.
Just make sure all the wood gets covered. I did that on my 51 slick. The new 71 with the carbon wraped gear plane I dont think needs it as the 72SC is the same and I have hit that really hard (dropped it from 8feet) and it has held up
Old Feb 14, 2011, 04:17 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck328 View Post
I am at that step in my build too. I found that APC collars were too short. The wood spacers that came with the plane are too long for that motor (IMHO). I went to the hardware store yesterday and got four 3/8" long nylon spacers. They seem to put the a50-12l at the perfect distance on my new 71".
I know this might come under the heading of actually "building" instead of "assembling", but the wooden ones that are too long "can" be cut down so that they are the perfect length....
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 14, 2011, 04:23 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep View Post
I know this might come under the heading of actually "building" instead of "assembling", but the wooden ones that are too long "can" be cut down so that they are the perfect length....
+1..works great! can hit em on a belt sander and grind a little down at a time.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Feb 14, 2011, 04:36 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
+1..works great! can hit em on a belt sander and grind a little down at a time.
The supplied spacers work perfect with the motrolfly motor

Me I am a bit wierd I check my spacer to make sure they were all perfect before I installed my motor. There would be no way i would sand them b/c I know I couldnt get them back perfect and that would bug the mess out of me
Old Feb 14, 2011, 04:45 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
The supplied spacers work perfect with the motrolfly motor

Me I am a bit wierd I check my spacer to make sure they were all perfect before I installed my motor. There would be no way i would sand them b/c I know I couldnt get them back perfect and that would bug the mess out of me
"Tack glue" them all together with a bit of CA,so that they are all lined up. Then mark all of them the same. Then sand them all at one time, making sure you sand just to the line. If using a stationary belt sander, then of course make sure the table is set perpendicular to the belt. Once sanded to length, debond them, and you will have four equal length spacers.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...