HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2011, 07:46 PM
Fly Low-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat !
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Carr View Post
I dont use the SPC port for any of my airframes, all the way up to the 126 Slick. I simply dont see a real reason to use it.
I plugged into the SPC port of a 6 channel one time and the Rx immediately started smoking!

I immediately unplugged it and I've never tried to use that port again. Funny thing though, I'm still flying that receiver and it's fine.

My problem with the port is that it doesn't power the servos and I personally like to keep my systems as simple as possible with the fewest number of potential failure points possible.

Fred
RotorJockey is offline Find More Posts by RotorJockey
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2011, 11:28 AM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2004
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFRO503 View Post
Hmmmm.........that's a great idea! I never thought about making something like that up. In fact....I wonder on something like a 100cc bird , you could solder up 3 leads coming off a deans , plugged strait into something like a 4600mah A123? That would be a burst amperage of about 12amps!
I have exactly that on my 100cc... Deans to 3 plugs.

We have a guy at my field getting brown outs during snaps on his 50cc (keep in mind... FAST snaps) with a single power plug into his RX.
Sillyness is offline Find More Posts by Sillyness
Old Feb 08, 2011, 12:28 PM
www.rcdude.com
Joined May 2006
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyness View Post
I have exactly that on my 100cc... Deans to 3 plugs.

We have a guy at my field getting brown outs during snaps on his 50cc (keep in mind... FAST snaps) with a single power plug into his RX.
And you have had good luck so far with ample power? I think that picture Mr carr posted really got me thinking. I mean heck.....even my little a123 1100 pack will put out 33amp constant and a 66amp burst! The 2200 and 4600 A123 packs are quite a bit higher than that. So , i could see if you can get the power from the battery to the RX......we should have plenty. I think I may be doing some re-wiring of a few of my birds!
JEFFRO503 is offline Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
Old Feb 08, 2011, 01:24 PM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Carr View Post
I dont use the SPC port for any of my airframes, all the way up to the 126 Slick. I simply dont see a real reason to use it.
For us Non-Hitecians....What is the SPC port used for? Sorry for the OT.
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Old Feb 08, 2011, 01:32 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2002
185 Posts
I believe it stands for Supplemental Power Circuit, and can handle up to 10 or 12 series lipo directly to the rx, but this is only to power the rx.
DBA-FW is offline Find More Posts by DBA-FW
Old Feb 08, 2011, 01:34 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk View Post
For us Non-Hitecians....What is the SPC port used for? Sorry for the OT.
to provide direct pack voltage to the receiver... this: provides power that will never be below voltage to brown-out, and also provide telemetry for your main flight pack voltage.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Feb 08, 2011, 01:40 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2004
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFRO503 View Post
And you have had good luck so far with ample power? I think that picture Mr carr posted really got me thinking. I mean heck.....even my little a123 1100 pack will put out 33amp constant and a 66amp burst! The 2200 and 4600 A123 packs are quite a bit higher than that. So , i could see if you can get the power from the battery to the RX......we should have plenty. I think I may be doing some re-wiring of a few of my birds!
Love it. On the 35 and 40%, I'm using Badger switches too... Deans out of the switch the deans/3 plug adaptor. I actually use 2 RXs, and have 3 plugs into EACH RX... WAY overkill, but overkill that weighs next to nothing is called insurance.

On my 89" Slick, have a Deans that I plug directly to the battery every flight. Frankly, getting tired of it already. I just ordered a Wolverine switch, 2 Deans in, 2 Deans out. That will plug into the Deans/3-plug pigtails I'm already using.
Sillyness is offline Find More Posts by Sillyness
Old Feb 08, 2011, 01:40 PM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
to provide direct pack voltage to the receiver... this: provides power that will never be below voltage to brown-out, and also provide telemetry for your main flight pack voltage.
Oh...gotcha. Now I feel edumacated!
Old Feb 08, 2011, 03:22 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaDan View Post
I'll try it with the 51.. oh wait...
Ok...give iT uP man...what happened ? You didn't get caught in the electirc doGGy dOOr ?
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Feb 08, 2011, 03:24 PM
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk View Post
Oh...gotcha. Now I feel edumacated!
You mean...edukated, right Jay ?
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Feb 08, 2011, 03:46 PM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelasso View Post
You mean...edukated, right Jay ?
I mean......

The Simpsons- S-M-R-T (0 min 17 sec)
Old Feb 08, 2011, 04:41 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA-FW View Post
I believe it stands for Supplemental Power Circuit, and can handle up to 10 or 12 series lipo directly to the rx, but this is only to power the rx.
Actually max is 35V so I think 8S is about as high as you can go. I wish they would have supported up to 12S. Many folks using 10 or 12S are doing 2 packs in series and you can use one of those packs to the spc but you do have to be sure you use the correct one (I believe the pack on the neg side of the series connection). I'm getting ready to figure this out for my 10S Logo600 I'm building now
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Feb 08, 2011, 05:08 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42 View Post
Actually max is 35V so I think 8S is about as high as you can go. I wish they would have supported up to 12S. Many folks using 10 or 12S are doing 2 packs in series and you can use one of those packs to the spc but you do have to be sure you use the correct one (I believe the pack on the neg side of the series connection). I'm getting ready to figure this out for my 10S Logo600 I'm building now
I would think that it would be basically the same as the diagram found here.... http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...multicell.html

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:58 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Jun 2009
280 Posts
Can't wait for my 71 to get here
jedoug is offline Find More Posts by jedoug
Old Feb 08, 2011, 10:59 PM
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts