SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2011, 05:56 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep View Post
I use the "Watts Up" meter....it's easy to use, and relatively inexpensive....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLMV0

I have never used the Emeter, but I am sure it is a great piece of equipment..

Problem child (new name)
the main problem with the watts up is that it is limited to 100a. I have one as well and love it, but as soon as you get to 50cc electric, it is useless as you cant go above that 100a mark
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2011, 07:49 AM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
the main problem with the watts up is that it is limited to 100a. I have one as well and love it, but as soon as you get to 50cc electric, it is useless as you cant go above that 100a mark
i use the turnigy one. i think it goes to 130A

i am thinking about getting the 150A eagle tree logger with the LCD panel. Anyone used that one ?

obviously more expensive but you can log data as well and of course not just A and V

my 57 Extra bursts to 100A. Dont need a 50CC for that
starzen is offline Find More Posts by starzen
Old Feb 01, 2011, 08:52 AM
Pain? I know pain!
Weldon Spring, Missouri
Joined Mar 2005
1,517 Posts
Eagle tree is great if you don't have Ice controllers. Ice does everything the eagle tree does minus servo current.

Mine sits on a shelf these days.

Tom
litespeed is offline Find More Posts by litespeed
Old Feb 01, 2011, 08:55 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Got my slick. Very nice looking indeed. I have the motor mounted, servos mounted, all the surfaces mounted. All that needs to be done is the control rods and mount the esc (well set to the radio too)
Niiicccccccccccceeee !!
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:12 AM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeed View Post
Eagle tree is great if you don't have Ice controllers. Ice does everything the eagle tree does minus servo current.

Mine sits on a shelf these days.

Tom
i have all ice controllers but the logging on the ice controller is so wrong it is completely useless data.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:15 AM
Pain? I know pain!
Weldon Spring, Missouri
Joined Mar 2005
1,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starzen View Post
i have all ice controllers but the logging on the ice controller is so wrong it is completely useless data.
I've compared mine (in the past!) with the eagle tree and it was like splitting hairs.

What have you found was so far off? I must have missed that discussion.

Tom
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:21 AM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeed View Post
I've compared mine (in the past!) with the eagle tree and it was like splitting hairs.

What have you found was so far off? I must have missed that discussion.

Tom
the amps on the ice logging are off sometimes by up to 20%

when you hear people give you watt numbers that seem unusually high it is almost always ice logging.

you can often see spikes in the ice log that immediately show issues as well

i compared the readings to expensive clamp on meters and they do not match
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:27 AM
Team 3DHS, Hacker, Gens Ace
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Nov 2007
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFRO503 View Post
One of my next projects will be building a 50cc electric bird , and who knows.....maybe one day a 33%-35% electric if they can some how get the weight of these big batteries down.
Don't let the weight hold you back. The 103" Extra (35%) works great on electric, very floaty.
ipsmotors is offline Find More Posts by ipsmotors
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:01 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,452 Posts
I don't know... I have always found the logging on the Ice to match up very closely to what I would see on a wattmeter. But I also only record 4 data points and at 2 samples/sec on the Ice. I wonder if the default settings for the logging with 5 samples/sec and all data points simply overwhelm it and cause it to lose accuracy?
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:10 AM
Pain? I know pain!
Weldon Spring, Missouri
Joined Mar 2005
1,517 Posts
Good question. I'll have to do a full run with the Eagle Tree and see what difference there are.

Tom
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:10 AM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
I don't know... I have always found the logging on the Ice to match up very closely to what I would see on a wattmeter. But I also only record 4 data points and at 2 samples/sec on the Ice. I wonder if the default settings for the logging with 5 samples/sec and all data points simply overwhelm it and cause it to lose accuracy?
from what i see the max numbers are useless because of spikes that shouldnt be there. the standard amp numbers arent too bad but are often off as well by at least 5% but often 10% or more

i would love not to have to get another tool but it would have to be more reliable.

Of course another plus of having the eagletree or other wattmeters is that you do not need a laptop to see data. You can see it right away on the LCD.

Checking servo amp draw is a plus as well of course and you can also log temps, rpms, throttle movement, airspeed, and a bunch of other things including even gps data
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:08 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
I have a watts up meter but I was limited by the 100A max. My meter got pretty hot while it was restricting the current on my 4S EDF pulling 120-140 Amps.

I bought a clamp meter that reads DC current (non contact) for about $100.

This is the one I got http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...1&blockType=L1

It will measure up to 800 Amps AC or DC and doesn't restrict anything in the circuit. It works good to just measure current but the RC specific meters are good because they show you how your voltage is holding as well.

The ICE data loggers I have messed with usually show the current reading a bit higher than what I measure with other means.

i.e.
ICE = 150 Amps
Clamp meter = 130 Amps

This was on an ICE Lite 100 though so I don't know if that is far enough outside of their calibration range to cause the error. I have no idea how they calibrate the data loggers.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Feb 01, 2011, 01:54 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
I am useing the E flight power meter, good for 120 amps

Not quite as convienent as the Watts up

The screen only display's one reading at a time, you toggle through volts, amps , watts and capacity.

$44.95

I like to see what is really going on, I can see how long the battery is holding voltage and what the real power level is after a 10 second run. I am not interested in the burst/spike watts but what I am getting in real flight terms.

Admittadly it does not give me the unloaded power in flight but I can see that.

If you need more than 120 amps you will need to get one of the clamp on meters.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:24 PM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I am useing the E flight power meter, good for 120 amps

Not quite as convienent as the Watts up

The screen only display's one reading at a time, you toggle through volts, amps , watts and capacity.

$44.95

I like to see what is really going on, I can see how long the battery is holding voltage and what the real power level is after a 10 second run. I am not interested in the burst/spike watts but what I am getting in real flight terms.

Admittadly it does not give me the unloaded power in flight but I can see that.

If you need more than 120 amps you will need to get one of the clamp on meters.

Dennis
all of them of course allow you to see whats going on over time. the ice and the eagle tree will log data over time

the turnigy one does 130A and the eagletree goes to 150. The eagle tree is also a hall effect and not a shunt which means it doesnt effect the power at all just like a clamp on meter

i think alltogether the eagle tree is the best system out there combining logging and direct display with high amps, use of hall effect sensor and the ability to check servo amps and also log other information at the same time and from what i hear readings that can be trusted.

Now if they would just have the 150 V4 in stock that would help
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:41 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Does the eagle tree show real time tata, current watts,amps and volts or does it show peak values?

This started with the ICE data that showed peak volts,amps and watts, but not recorded at the same time.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C