Old Dec 27, 2010, 07:39 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Those using Motorlfly 4325..

How are you fitting the motor to the bolt pattern???

Is there a mount that works with these motors?

Thanks
Like Steve said - rotate it and drill all new holes.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:51 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Like Steve said - rotate it and drill all new holes.

Just thought there might have been a mount that fit. I went ahead and got some blind nuts and some new bolts. I had to go to 8-32. The ones that came with the Slick were metric, couldn't find any nuts.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:38 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Just thought there might have been a mount that fit. I went ahead and got some blind nuts and some new bolts. I had to go to 8-32. The ones that came with the Slick were metric, couldn't find any nuts.
You could have just pushed out the original ones and used them. Then you could have used the supplied bolts.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 28, 2010, 02:42 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,854 Posts
Got the motrolfly bolted on. I left the original nuts in, just in case I want to move motors around in the future and use my Hacker.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Dec 28, 2010, 07:44 AM
Yokosuka, Japan
Joined Jan 2008
64 Posts
Motor Box Rebuild Question

Just dry fitted my new motor box kit into the Slick. Wanted to know from the experts what the best glue to use is? I have tacked it in with thin CA but was unsure if I should use it for all the joints or should I use something else?

Thanks for any help,

Bob
bobunobu is offline Find More Posts by bobunobu
Old Dec 28, 2010, 07:51 AM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobunobu View Post
Just dry fitted my new motor box kit into the Slick. Wanted to know from the experts what the best glue to use is? I have tacked it in with thin CA but was unsure if I should use it for all the joints or should I use something else?

Thanks for any help,

Bob
CA is good because in case you have to do it again it opens up easily again.

I use thin CA and medium for some important joints. The thin ca will wick into all the joints nicely
starzen is offline Find More Posts by starzen
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:02 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,470 Posts
I use thin CA first to wick as starzen mentioned but I then go back after that dries and coat it in meduin CA to add strength
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:30 AM
Yokosuka, Japan
Joined Jan 2008
64 Posts
Looks like I will have to get some medium CA tomorrow.

Thanks,

Bob
bobunobu is offline Find More Posts by bobunobu
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:40 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
I'm going to start trying to take mine apart this evening. I looked at the puzzle pieces and right now, I have bunch of extra pieces.

There are several that I don't yet know where they go. I'm hoping it will make more sense once I start dissasembling what I have on the plane.

syringe filled with acetone is ready to go.
Take plenty of pictures of the process, I'm curious as to how people do the coating, just fold it back out of the way I guess?

You can see the small pieces in my bag, the O are for the 5mm CF rod, the small little half round looking pieces are the cowl mount I think. Not sure about the others.

A couple things I see missing from the kit that would be nice is the 2 5mm CF rods(one of mine shattered after a hard LVC and took the gear out), and the 4th former(not sure if that is doable). When the CF rods go this former gets taken out...at least in my case. Interesting thing is its a small former and doesn't seem to carry much of the load, especially with the large gap between the former 3 and 4.

Looking at the MB kit out of the plane you can see where the load is going in the gear area. I missed a few spots in my earlier repair.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Last edited by robj; Dec 28, 2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:08 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
yeah, I've lost the 4th former and I need to replace the gear carbon rods as well.

You say those are 5mm?

I have a lot to replace on the fuse sides too. I hope I can get the holes lined back up for the wing attachment.

The motorbox kit is great but soon we will be asking for all the replacement parts Just break up the plane in sections and offer plywood and balsa pieces for each section. LOL

I had a buddy that was restoring an old mustang and he could buy every part for the mustang aftermarket from a catalog. You could build an entire car from aftermarket pieces for several hundred thousand dollars.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:11 AM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
yeah, I've lost the 4th former and I need to replace the gear carbon rods as well.

You say those are 5mm?

I have a lot to replace on the fuse sides too. I hope I can get the holes lined back up for the wing attachment.

The motorbox kit is great but soon we will be asking for all the replacement parts Just break up the plane in sections and offer plywood and balsa pieces for each section. LOL

I had a buddy that was restoring an old mustang and he could buy every part for the mustang aftermarket from a catalog. You could build an entire car from aftermarket pieces for several hundred thousand dollars.

yeah

online ordering of parts sent to a laser cutter and automatic packing machine ...
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:17 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,222 Posts
Quote:

You say those are 5mm?

Well if my brain and eyes remember correctly, that's what I saw on the caliper this morning. I'm going by a new LHS this afternoon and see what they have, I found a piece of 8mm CF tube from somewhere lying around that will go over the 5mm tube, but I still have to drill it out if I use it.

A small gloat....I now have 3 hobby shops within 20 minutes of the house. Actually 2 are within 10 minutes.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:33 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,486 Posts
Wow motorbox repairs are truly a puzzle! I think I spent about 30 minutes just attempting to figure out the proper order to stick the pieces into the plane in such a way that I can flex it all apart and make all the interlocking joints fit. Pretty strong even without any glue once it's all together though.

On glues... I don't see any way to use anything but thin CA on most of the joints, once it's all in there many of them can't flex open enough, or come apart to stick medium in. It fits so tight everywhere. I am reinforcing some of the joints with tri-stock for this reason, especially in places I had to soak with acetone to get the old wood out. Got it mostly all back together now though, it's going surprisingly fast actually.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:43 AM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Wow motorbox repairs are truly a puzzle! I think I spent about 30 minutes just attempting to figure out the proper order to stick the pieces into the plane in such a way that I can flex it all apart and make all the interlocking joints fit. Pretty strong even without any glue once it's all together though.

On glues... I don't see any way to use anything but thin CA on most of the joints, once it's all in there many of them can't flex open enough, or come apart to stick medium in. It fits so tight everywhere. I am reinforcing some of the joints with tri-stock for this reason, especially in places I had to soak with acetone to get the old wood out. Got it mostly all back together now though, it's going surprisingly fast actually.
i use medium ca along the joints between pieces after using thin ca, just run a bead along the seam. thin ca only on the interlocking parts
Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:52 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Well if my brain and eyes remember correctly, that's what I saw on the caliper this morning. I'm going by a new LHS this afternoon and see what they have, I found a piece of 8mm CF tube from somewhere lying around that will go over the 5mm tube, but I still have to drill it out if I use it.

A small gloat....I now have 3 hobby shops within 20 minutes of the house. Actually 2 are within 10 minutes.
You were correct. The landing gear support carbon rods are 5mm.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala