HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:15 PM
United States, MS, Southaven
Joined Sep 2004
82 Posts
I used the tint for RC cars any modle shop should have it. I would tell you exaclty but I am in Memphis, TN and my tint is in Japan but I believe it is Tamiya spray tent.
Thomas Luttrell is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Luttrell
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:31 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,119 Posts
Repair all done, it was a little breezy this morning so I opted to finish it instead of flying. Wind has been hairy around here this week.

Mainly just a little sanding, fixing the wheel pant hole in the wing(just broke some none load bearing balsa), and applied the while ultracote. The ultracote was pretty easy once I realized it had a backing that peeled away when I heated it. I've never bought it new.

All in all I'm pretty pleased, giving the flex test it seems strong. The splintered CF that I rubbed GG in and around is very stiff again, I'm sure the foam filled the inside.

If I get some time I will fly it tomorrow with the good set of batterys.

Anyway...some pics...
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:04 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,654 Posts
Wow Rob. That is about as good as it gets. You are going to have to give me a lesson on repairing these big balsa planes one day. Let's hope that day is far off.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Dec 18, 2010, 04:13 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Wow Rob. That is about as good as it gets. You are going to have to give me a lesson on repairing these big balsa planes one day. Let's hope that day is far off.
Let's hope not soon at all. I think the bigger are easier. Also it seems easier to remove the coating for room to work. I was lucky I only had to deal with the white color. And since I've never bought ultracote, it was only $16 for a large roll, I thought it would be more. And that old iron of mine does wonders!

BTW, did you get a castle link? Can I borrow? I really want to reset the settings and I haven't gotten mine yet. Planning on VP tomorrow but will be in the area today if you are flying? Also close to your house at a grad party. Otherwise if you are out there tomorrow I'll bring my laptop.

Call or text me.

Rob
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:33 PM
USA, CA, Oakley
Joined Aug 2008
211 Posts
I spent the day repairing my slick but have encountered one problem. The prop adapter no longer clears the cowl. Prior to the crash I was using some spare aluminum wheel collars as standoffs to clear the cowl, those were about 4mm in depth. Now, with the new motorbox installed, I'm short by about 7-8mm with the old collars installed and the same motor.

There were no repairs to the fuse itself since most of the damage was to the motorbox, and the old cowl presents the same depth problem, so the new cowl isn't to blame. I'm hoping this is something obvious I'm overlooking, but can't find any other possible explanation other than the motorbox depth is slightly shorter.

The distance from the end of the fuse to the forward end of the motorbox is approx 6 5/8" (167mm) and from the end of the fuse to the front of the firewall is ~6 3/8 (162mm). I have no idea what it was prior to the crash since most of the wreckage is in the trash.

Any ideas?

-Eric
hackdroot is offline Find More Posts by hackdroot
Last edited by hackdroot; Dec 18, 2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:47 PM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,492 Posts
J
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackdroot View Post
I spent the day repairing my slick but have encountered one problem. The prop adapter no longer clears the cowl. Prior to the crash I was using some spare aluminum wheel collars as standoffs to clear the cowl, those were about 4mm in depth. Now, with the new motorbox installed, I'm short by about 7-8mm with the old collars installed and the same motor.

There were no repairs to the fuse itself since most of the damage was to the motorbox, and the old cowl presents the same depth problem, so the new cowl isn't to blame. I'm hoping this is something obvious I'm overlooking, but can't find any other possible explanation other than the motorbox depth is slightly shorter.

The distance from the end of the fuse to the forward end of the motorbox is approx 6 5/8" (167mm) and from the end of the fuse to the front of the firewall is ~6 3/8 (162mm). I have no idea what it was prior to the crash since most of the wreckage is in the trash.

Any ideas?

-Eric

Pretty sure that the newer slicks have a shorter motor box so that the hacker 12l will fit. I would say that the new motor box is like the newer models. Just use some longer standoffs and it will be fine.
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:28 PM
USA, CA, Oakley
Joined Aug 2008
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy78 View Post
J

Pretty sure that the newer slicks have a shorter motor box so that the hacker 12l will fit. I would say that the new motor box is like the newer models. Just use some longer standoffs and it will be fine.
I was about to do exactly that, but wasn't sure about standing off the motor that much (11-12mm).
hackdroot is offline Find More Posts by hackdroot
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:35 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Aug 2004
9,277 Posts
Quote:
I was about to do exactly that, but wasn't sure about standing off the motor that much (11-12mm).
no issues, go for it
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:09 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,119 Posts
Borrowed Johnnyoroccos castle link and got mine reset. From what I can tell it was set to auto lipo, 3.0 volts. So it would hit a HARD cut off at 24v (8s*3.0 volts).

So changed that, then the cut off to soft, then the log to 2 per second. Everything else was ok. Also cleared the log.

Here are some screen shots of what I have. Also is a pic of the way Eddie set up the ESC connector. I thought I was going to have to mess with it but not. He kept all 3 wires from the esc to another extension, but added a 3" extension at the very end..that plugs into the Rx, he removed the center wire from that. So when checking the software, just unhook that connector and plug it into the link. Very nice.

If yall spot anything I missed please jump in.

Thanks,
Rob
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:12 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,114 Posts
Quote:
Try the 72 SC's... the standoffs I'm using on that are 2.5"!
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:07 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2008
3,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Here are some screen shots of what I have. Also is a pic of the way Eddie set up the ESC connector. I thought I was going to have to mess with it but not. He kept all 3 wires from the esc to another extension, but added a 3" extension at the very end..that plugs into the Rx, he removed the center wire from that. So when checking the software, just unhook that connector and plug it into the link. Very nice.

Thanks,
Rob

yea I taught him that rob It used to be a super clean plane Eddie was like some guys we know who if the plane got a ding in it he couldnt fly it anymore and just sell it. I think he went through 10 helis
twistedgrim is offline Find More Posts by twistedgrim
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:54 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,988 Posts
A50-16s, Blue Lipo 6s-4000-30c (4s + 2s), fresh charged

a) Turnigy 19 x 10, 89 A, 24.8 V --> 24.1 V (drop 0.7 V), 2145 w

b) Xoar 19 x 10, 92.5 A, 24.4 V --> 23.7 V (drop 0.7 V), 2192 w

c) Xoar 19 x 8, 80 A, 23.9 --> 21.9 V (drop 2.0 V), 1752 w

Temp: stator 127 F, rotor 109 F

Amp draws at 3/4 and max throttle were almost the same in all cases (max was about 2A lower).

Vien
vienquach is online now Find More Posts by vienquach
Last edited by vienquach; Dec 19, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:57 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Hi Vien, I'm flying your prop (a) above with good results. How do you like props (b) & (c)? Thanks! Dana
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:03 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danamania View Post
Hi Vien, I'm flying your prop (a) above with good results. How do you like props (b) & (c)? Thanks! Dana
I was flying the same prop (a) with good result too (probably a tiny bit slow).

Just got the 19x10 this week, but freezing outside, .... should give you a bit more speed and thrust, just my guess.

Vien
vienquach is online now Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:00 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedgrim View Post
yea I taught him that rob It used to be a super clean plane Eddie was like some guys we know who if the plane got a ding in it he couldnt fly it anymore and just sell it. I think he went through 10 helis
Rascal...not me, I do care about how it looks but also how/if it'll fly!! Considering what happened, I think it looks pretty good.

A couple shots from the Castle Ice from this afternoon. It flys as good as ever!!

Rob