HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:48 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedgrim View Post
great flying GC. I love the Gas slick you have really got that motor running well. Hopefully have mine starting to break in here. Need to mess the mixture up just a bit and it will be happy. I need to mount my go pro on my plane. looks great.

It was actually running rich down low...I tweaked it a bit and leaned it out 1/8 turn on the low after that flight . It likes leaner in cool weather.
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2010, 02:55 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,184 Posts
Well I had one of those "what happened" to my 70 yeaterday. HAd 4 flights on and having a blast. On the last flight...of course...I was doing some low and slow stuff, went into a verticle and then lost power. Thought I lost everything as it stalled and came down. I was pointed down wind and really couldn't get much airspeed going. I think if I realized I DID have control sooner, I might have done a better job of bringing it down. I was also bringing the throttle WOT and off seeing it if would reset... It the end it was a hard harrier type landing. Of course I walked up and everything was working fine, no blinking lights. The cowl is mostly ok, it did break the former at the end.

Only thing I noticed was on my 8s setup, running 2 4s Turnigy 2650, one had 82% left and the other 67%. Usually they run down about the same. I ran this combo on Saturday and had no issues.

Anyway some pics...I ordered a motor box kit but I may try and rebuild from what I have first. The motor box is fine, the gear took all the hit. One of the CF tubes broke. Pant poked a hole in one wing.

But a couple questions for yall who have doen this.

1) whats the best way to remove the ultracote, especially on the sheating. I've tried some heat with some success, not sure if that is right.
2) For the stringers, do you use posickle sticks? ply, or solid balsa. Just cut, trim whatever you have to do to get it to fit?
3) acetone works fine to loosen the CA?

Any other tips? I'm going to get after it tonight, such a sweet flying plane.

Thanks,
Rob
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Dec 14, 2010, 03:36 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post

Only thing I noticed was on my 8s setup, running 2 4s Turnigy 2650, one had 82% left and the other 67%. Usually they run down about the same. I ran this combo on Saturday and had no issues.

Sounds like one of your packs is going bad. Sounds like you went into LVC...and by the time the plane landed, the voltage rose back up above the LVC threshold.

I'd try to make your LVC as low as possible, like 3.2 Volts per cell. And get rid of that pack.

(or make sure you charged that pack after the last flight)
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Dec 14, 2010, 04:05 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I have a 2S 1100mah LiFe pack on the way. Any pointers? I'm new to these kind of receiver packs.
sure charge it properly,fly it a couple 2-3 times,then recharge and see how many mah you put back in.(I doubt it will be much) but then you will have a baseline as to how many flights you can get on her between charges.I have flown my 1100s 7 or so times in a row between charges.It doesnt take very long to charge one of those packs up so after a cple fights just huff it and go.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Dec 14, 2010, 04:28 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,665 Posts
Quote:
3) acetone works fine to loosen the CA?
Not as cheap as acetone, but the best CA debonder made...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXM379&P=ML

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:01 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Well I had one of those "what happened" .......Any other tips? I'm going to get after it tonight, such a sweet flying plane.

Thanks,
Rob
CYCLE the packs....(ALL of your packs from time to time to see how much they'll hold....most of the nice chargers now will at least do this at low discharge rates....but there are things out there to do cycling at higher loads......I had a similar problem almost cost me a plane before....when I cycled my packs I found 2 junk packs out of twelve. It also let me prioritize the best to worst.......I found it's important to try and do this regularly....when racing RC cars, we used to cycle packs so we'd now which ones were best for racing.......here it's to save airframes....
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:13 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
good idea bivens.I got some hobby city packs needing cycling..
Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:26 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep View Post
Not as cheap as acetone, but the best CA debonder made...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXM379&P=ML

SteveT
The regular Tower brand debonder is great stuff too...much cheaper too.
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:30 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft View Post
The regular Tower brand debonder is great stuff too...much cheaper too.
Have tried it, doesn't work nearly as well....if you don't believe me, ask Doc Austin, he is a fan of this stuff too....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:27 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
sure charge it properly,fly it a couple 2-3 times,then recharge and see how many mah you put back in.(I doubt it will be much) but then you will have a baseline as to how many flights you can get on her between charges.I have flown my 1100s 7 or so times in a row between charges.It doesnt take very long to charge one of those packs up so after a cple fights just huff it and go.
How many amps do you charge yours at? It says 1.1A on the pack....

It's like getting my first lipo pack all over again. Back then I thought I would burn the house down or my plane would melt down, which ever happened first.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:29 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
How many amps do you charge yours at? It says 1.1A on the pack....

It's like getting my first lipo pack all over again. Back then I thought I would burn the house down or my plane would melt down, which ever happened first.
I charge mine at 1.1A. I dont deviate from that but it doesnt take that long to charge it.Ive never ran it dry either tho.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:23 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
Sounds like one of your packs is going bad. Sounds like you went into LVC...and by the time the plane landed, the voltage rose back up above the LVC threshold.

I'd try to make your LVC as low as possible, like 3.2 Volts per cell. And get rid of that pack.

(or make sure you charged that pack after the last flight)

I think that's exactly what happened. This thing hovers with not that much power, and it quit on a WOT verticle....one pack was a little weaker but I have run it before....pilot error.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:40 PM
Artillery! King of Battle!
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
Great job on the repair!
Brill 1 is offline Find More Posts by Brill 1
Old Dec 15, 2010, 02:53 AM
United States, MS, Southaven
Joined Sep 2004
82 Posts
New pilot for Gas Slick

Saw this the other day at the toy store and thought it would look good in the 70" Gas Slick. His facial expressions say it all. Now I just need to finish reparing it ang git it back into the air.
Thomas Luttrell is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Luttrell