HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2010, 05:26 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
2 to 3 years? Wow, that's really good. What should a full charge read on a volt meter to main battery leads? What's dead look like as far as total V?
Full charged voltage on a 2 cell is 7.2v. They will rapidly fall to 6.5-6.7 and pretty much remain there until they suddenly drop voltage fast when discharged. Some have said there is a slight discharge, like maybe down to 6.2-6.3 as they go down, but by and large the discharge curve is pretty flat. So that's why I always paid attention to the amount of mah I put back in to determine how many flights I could get before recharging. Compare that against how many mah the battery holds when you cycle it. Follow the rule of lipos on that, try not to discharge past 80% of the overall capacity before recharging it.

At least that's what I always did...
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:14 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Full charged voltage on a 2 cell is 7.2v. They will rapidly fall to 6.5-6.7 and pretty much remain there until they suddenly drop voltage fast when discharged. Some have said there is a slight discharge, like maybe down to 6.2-6.3 as they go down, but by and large the discharge curve is pretty flat. So that's why I always paid attention to the amount of mah I put back in to determine how many flights I could get before recharging. Compare that against how many mah the battery holds when you cycle it. Follow the rule of lipos on that, try not to discharge past 80% of the overall capacity before recharging it.

At least that's what I always did...
Cool, thanks for the help. I will start with two flights and charge and see what I take out.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:32 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk View Post
I'm not sure how much it would help with a LiFe pack. That have a very flat discharge curve all the way up until they tank.
Only had Life-1800 on my SC for 2 flights, so not much experience with them.

Now using 2s-800 25c lipo. There's a voltage drop, so I replace pack after 2-3 flights.

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Last edited by vienquach; Dec 10, 2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:38 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Cool, thanks for the help. I will start with two flights and charge and see what I take out.
You can likely make that at least 4 quite safely. This topic came up on a different site I frequent, and a number of us compared mah drawn on a 6 lb plane per flight. General averages seemed to be 100-150 mah, with the biggest abusers taking about 200-225 on a 10 minute flight. These were generally with full size digital servos. I would expect 150 mah to be a more normal amount for a 70" Slick. So 4-5 flights even would probably be about what I would bet you can get. 3-4 should be super safe.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:28 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,433 Posts
OK I have decided when the slick comes back in stock I will be getting it. I see that the motrolfly motors are back in stock. I am looking at the 310KV for 8s operation. It looks to be the same size as a hyperion A50 14L but a bit higher KV(based on specs that I have seen) Are they the same size????

I am really wanting a Motrolfly motor for the slick b/c I keep hearing such great things about them and that Ken provides CS like Ben does.
I hope thats the right one that I need?
Any info or suggestion would be welcomed. Thanks!
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:43 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
OK I have decided when the slick comes back in stock I will be getting it. I see that the motrolfly motors are back in stock. I am looking at the 310KV for 8s operation. It looks to be the same size as a hyperion A50 14L but a bit higher KV(based on specs that I have seen) Are they the same size????

I am really wanting a Motrolfly motor for the slick b/c I keep hearing such great things about them and that Ken provides CS like Ben does.
I hope thats the right one that I need?
Any info or suggestion would be welcomed. Thanks!
The 310kv with Xoar 19x8 on 8s would be perfect.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:58 PM
Pants on the ground
exit 26 Jersey
Joined Jul 2007
6,220 Posts
I fly 6 times on my life 1100 mah batt I'm running 985's with no binding
xsubsailor is offline Find More Posts by xsubsailor
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:00 PM
Pants on the ground
exit 26 Jersey
Joined Jul 2007
6,220 Posts
I will say that I put more mah back in since switching to the A9 apparently the rx use a bit more juice to power the telemetry
xsubsailor is offline Find More Posts by xsubsailor
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:11 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsubsailor View Post
I will say that I put more mah back in since switching to the A9 apparently the rx use a bit more juice to power the telemetry
Why dont you use the flight pack to power the Rx ?

Now I have flight pack voltage displayed on both the SC and Slick. Very handy.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:32 AM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
I really like having my AJ Slick's BEC powered by the 6S 5000. There will always be enough residual juice to power the 4 large digital servos. Keeps the set-up light and simple with one less thing to worry about or fail.

Should be good flying wx in the NE today and I taking the Slick out with a new EagleTree altimeter I just installed. Should be fun! Enjoy your new Slick! Dana
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:34 PM
I added lift to my stable!
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Hacker A50-12l and mounting to back of firewalll. . .

Hey guys,

Considering moving my x-mount to the inside/back of the firewall to get rid of some of the gap. Anyone know the diameter/ thread pattern of the 4 short screws tha attach the xmount to the motor housing? Anyone know best length to use? Did you guys use lock washers with the long screws that go throw the blind nuts?
tbird911 is offline Find More Posts by tbird911
Old Dec 11, 2010, 04:27 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
Almost have all the bits and pieces for my 70.

Went with the DLE-30 with the stock ignition and muffler, one 2300 mAh A123 pack from NoBS for the RX, a Wike R/C IBEF for the ignition power, one ED Ultra Switch II, a Xoar Sword 18x8 for the break in, a Xoar laminated 20x6 for after break in, a 3" aluminum spinner from ValleyViewRC.com, Optima 9 RX and HS-7985's for the control surfaces. Only major thing left to buy are the HS-7985's.

Does anyone know where I can find 1.1" standoffs for the DLE-30?
stickybeatz is offline Find More Posts by stickybeatz
Old Dec 11, 2010, 04:40 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird911 View Post
Hey guys,

Considering moving my x-mount to the inside/back of the firewall to get rid of some of the gap. Anyone know the diameter/ thread pattern of the 4 short screws tha attach the xmount to the motor housing? Anyone know best length to use? Did you guys use lock washers with the long screws that go throw the blind nuts?
haha, i figured you wouldnt be able to resist it

im not sure the exact length of screws, but i think the ones i had on there should be ok...but they may be too long. what a lot of people do for that is knock out the blind nuts and put them in the other way, then you will be set
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Dec 11, 2010, 05:01 PM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
When will we get the AJ Slick 2?
PinkYakRC is offline Find More Posts by PinkYakRC
Old Dec 11, 2010, 05:29 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Nothing technical to share here guys but we had great flying wx in the NE today with light and variable winds. The Slick is my fave on afternoons like this and it performed flawlessly! My favorite plane on a calm day (Osiris is my fave on a windy one)! Also flew the PA Extra MX which I like very much, just love the 70" Slick more. A perfect airframe on a perfect day!
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania