HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 04, 2010, 04:39 PM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic Ken View Post
The 4325 is made of parts made in China, but is one of a few that will be built and wound in the US. We are also using an NSK concentric bearing from Japan. That's the extra $10. I have been told that the 4325 has more pull out of Hover than the Hacker as well, once more people try these motors it should open some eyes.

We are expecting the 4325 to be back in stock this coming week.

Ken
WOOT!! bout time bubba. Beside Ken is one sexy mofo is why you should buy from him..And these motors are Manta punished/tested/abused.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2010, 04:44 PM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
Pictures of the 4325 have not been released yet or i would have posted a few already.Ive been under gag order.(Those who know me know it has been torture lolol )A few got to see one at the austin fly in a cple weeks ago
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2010, 04:48 PM
doh!
ryan_m's Avatar
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
Having almost the same KV (~380 kv), the A50-16s runs hotter than the Motrofly since it's a smaller motor (370g vs. 405g). Is it a right way to look at?

I am running 19x10 with the A50-16s on my Slick, but I have cooling vents attached to the cowl, and I was flying in 30F weather. The motor was just slightly warm.

Vien
How many watts is it making? Theoretically I suppose a given prop at a given rpm will be the same watts to do it, so it should be pretty comparable. I would just worry about it during the summertime here in Arkansas. It gets 100 degrees here quite regularly in the summertime. I flew this setup at FLI down in Dallas this summer where it was about 100-102 each day. No problems.
I think the Motrolfly motor handles the power better than the Hacker since it's a bit larger, but I've never run any of the larger hackers so I really can't compare against them.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2010, 05:40 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Pulled data from the Ice 100 two weeks ago: With 6S, the A50-16S with a 19x10 pulls 2000-2100 Watts, 90-92 Amps, and 7000 RPMs (all peak readings). Esc temps 90-105 F. All this is from flying precision practice, IMAC stuff. Averages are considerably lower, of course.

As far as motor temps go, late in the Summer I would get infrared readings around 95-100 F directly off the motor after landing. While our summers are not as hot as AR, it seems unlikely that the Hacker would overheat given proper airflow, but then again you would know better about the flying conditions there. Dana
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2010, 06:04 PM
Registered User
vienquach's Avatar
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danamania View Post
Pulled data from the Ice 100 two weeks ago: With 6S, the A50-16S with a 19x10 pulls 2000-2100 Watts, 90-92 Amps, and 7000 RPMs (all peak readings). Esc temps 90-105 F. All this is from flying precision practice, IMAC stuff. Averages are considerably lower, of course.

As far as motor temps go, late in the Summer I would get infrared readings around 95-100 F directly off the motor after landing. While our summers are not as hot as AR, it seems unlikely that the Hacker would overheat given proper airflow, but then again you would know better about the flying conditions there. Dana
I believe Hacker is rated up to 150 F, so around 100F shouldn't be a problem.
Some of the Amp reading from my ICE HV 80 is about 10-15% larger than the Amp reading I got using the C clamp meter.
I need a watt meter.
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2010, 08:18 PM
doh!
ryan_m's Avatar
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,014 Posts
Those temps aren't bad at all. I just might have to give the 16s a try on my Slick once I get it rebuilt from the last crash I had. I moved the Motrolfly to my 72" SC, so my Slick is in need of a motor. I'm curious to be able to compare them back to back...
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:02 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
rcbirk21's Avatar
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Aug 2004
9,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danamania View Post
Pulled data from the Ice 100 two weeks ago: With 6S, the A50-16S with a 19x10 pulls 2000-2100 Watts, 90-92 Amps, and 7000 RPMs (all peak readings). Esc temps 90-105 F. All this is from flying precision practice, IMAC stuff. Averages are considerably lower, of course.

As far as motor temps go, late in the Summer I would get infrared readings around 95-100 F directly off the motor after landing. While our summers are not as hot as AR, it seems unlikely that the Hacker would overheat given proper airflow, but then again you would know better about the flying conditions there. Dana
thats weird because ive seen guys run an 18x10 on their hacker a50-16s, and it came down HOT. very very very hot. may i ask about your battery packs? what c rating are they? how new are they? how are they holding voltage under load?
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:17 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
thats weird because ive seen guys run an 18x10 on their hacker a50-16s, and it came down HOT. very very very hot. may i ask about your battery packs? what c rating are they? how new are they? how are they holding voltage under load?
I am just returning to the hobby this year so the LiPo's were new in July: Turnigy 6S 5000 30C. They hold voltage under flight loads quite well. I have the cheap HK Quanum telemetry on the Slick and Osiris with temp probes on the 16s so I know they are not overheating: And I can see the voltage draw downs which are quite normal. My motor temps are were a non-issue all summer long. The voltage plots from the ESC look just fine too. My 20+ year flying buddies have remarked on the excellent vertical and 3D ability (of the Slick, not me LOL). Perhaps old packs or faulty wiring might cause others' motors to overheat? Thanks for asking. Love these planes!
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:29 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
rcbirk21's Avatar
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Aug 2004
9,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danamania View Post
I am just returning to the hobby this year so the LiPo's were new in July: Turnigy 6S 5000 30C. They hold voltage under flight loads quite well. I have the cheap HK Quanum telemetry on the Slick and Osiris with temp probes on the 16s so I know they are not overheating: And I can see the voltage draw downs which are quite normal. My motor temps are were a non-issue all summer long. The voltage plots from the ESC look just fine too. My 20+ year flying buddies have remarked on the excellent vertical and 3D ability (of the Slick, not me LOL). Perhaps old packs or faulty wiring might cause others' motors to overheat? Thanks for asking. Love these planes!
wow, thats interesting. the guys i know were running lower C packs, but that wouldnt cause over heating, that would just not let the motor pull that many amps. very interesting...
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:30 PM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
NJ is prety far north.I dont think the temps get as hot as they do in the south,at least not for very long.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:32 PM
House of Paine
weaser42's Avatar
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,148 Posts
Yeah my 16S on 18x10 Xoar in the Slick was getting in the 150 range here in AZ, and that was before full force summer. I ended up putting that motor in the 65" Vyper thinking I could fly on 17x10, but ended up liking 18x10 there too and it got 160+ during summer. I now have the 16S in Osiris on 17x10, running cool now but we'll see when summer comes again You gotta love that that motor is still going after such abuse.
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:38 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
True NJ & PA where I fly is cooler than the south, but not Ohio really. I do take breaks between flights and usually take 2-3 planes to the airfield for a day of fun. Perhaps others tend to fly the same plane for a few flights in a row and heat builds up? How do the Motrolflys or Scorpions run in this regard? All great motors I have read here. Dana
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:50 PM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
I'll run my motrolfly back to back until i catch up with the charger unless it is 100deg out.The motrolfly is the cooler of the ones Ive tried.Scorpion,reaper,hacker.Fried the scorpion,fried the reaper,the motrolflys are still flying strong.the hacker I have is still going strong as well.The scorpion lasted longer than the reaper tho lolol.And I did get my scorp back from warranty repair at a reasonable time.
Thing is,I think hacker and motrolfly are going to give you the best service.Best customer service as well.Altho I wont bash scorpion for the customer service either as Lucien is good as they come.Just stubborn with that dam collet adapter.lolol
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2010, 10:21 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
rcbirk21's Avatar
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Aug 2004
9,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
I'll run my motrolfly back to back until i catch up with the charger unless it is 100deg out.The motrolfly is the cooler of the ones Ive tried.Scorpion,reaper,hacker.Fried the scorpion,fried the reaper,the motrolflys are still flying strong.the hacker I have is still going strong as well.The scorpion lasted longer than the reaper tho lolol.And I did get my scorp back from warranty repair at a reasonable time.
Thing is,I think hacker and motrolfly are going to give you the best service.Best customer service as well.Altho I wont bash scorpion for the customer service either as Lucien is good as they come.Just stubborn with that dam collet adapter.lolol
yeah, id probably own a few scorpions if they would make a bolt on
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2010, 11:44 PM
Registered User
vienquach's Avatar
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,985 Posts
I'll stick with Hacker for now. My 16s never gets hot on the Slick.

Probably will try the Motrofly sometimes later.

Too many motors lately, no more plane.
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll 3D hobby shop 51" slick or 55" SHP? appleflyer 3D Flying 24 Mar 24, 2009 06:29 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop's AJ Slick Clark Warfel Electric Plane Talk 3 May 08, 2008 07:31 AM