HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2010, 10:29 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
seriously. get the motrolfly and be done with it. you will be very happy not only with the product, but the service as well.
Could you post a photo of the motrofly ? Never seen one myself (other than from the web).

Is there a reason why Motrofly motors cost more than Hacker ? (4325-380 $150 vs. A50-16s $110 - $120 free shipping, A50-12L $130 ).

Built quality ??

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Last edited by vienquach; Dec 03, 2010 at 10:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:50 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
Could you post a photo of the motrofly ? Never seen one myself (other than from the web).

Is there a reason why Motrofly motors cost more than Hacker ? (4325-380 $150 vs. A50-16s $110 - $120 free shipping, A50-12L $130 ).

Built quality ??

Vien
the motrolfly i have is in my 51 slick, and i dont live at home so i cant get a pic. they look just like the ones on the web from subsonic's website.

first off, i dunno where you can get a 12L for $130. i bought mine way back for $140, it was the cheapest i could find, and now its $160 at the lowest, most are at $169. The 16s is now $130 or $140 depending on where you look. So the motrolfly is very much in range.

Not only are you getting a fantastic product, but you get ken's service. that in and of itself is worth the money, as he has just about the best CS of any motor retailer i have found. He will service them himself, he hand winds them in his shop, and he is in direct contact with the manufacturer and actually does make quality changes to his products. I dont see the disadvantage!!
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:58 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,994 Posts
Quote:
the motrolfly i have is in my 51 slick, and i dont live at home so i cant get a pic. they look just like the ones on the web from subsonic's website.

first off, i dunno where you can get a 12L for $130. i bought mine way back for $140, it was the cheapest i could find, and now its $160 at the lowest, most are at $169. The 16s is now $130 or $140 depending on where you look. So the motrolfly is very much in range.

Not only are you getting a fantastic product, but you get ken's service. that in and of itself is worth the money, as he has just about the best CS of any motor retailer i have found. He will service them himself, he hand winds them in his shop, and he is in direct contact with the manufacturer and actually does make quality changes to his products. I dont see the disadvantage!!
Right on 3DHS website.
$120 for 16s -$10 bonus point from 3DHS = $110 for the 16s and $120 for the 12L.

$120 for 16s and $140 for 12L free shippping from aero-model.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/Hacker_c_291-1-2.html
http://www.aero-model.com/Hacker-Air...lbs-10lbs.aspx

Built quality of Hacker is almost second to none. That's why I wonder why I should pay more for the motrofly (although they are good). Unless I see more photos or have one in my hand to try. $150 + shipping is quite expensive for an experiment.

Purchased several Rimfire outrunner motors and the built quality is like 7/10 (while Hacker is 9.50)
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:13 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
Joined Aug 2004
9,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
Right on 3DHS website.
$120 for 16s -$10 bonus point from 3DHS = $110 for the 16s and $120 for the 12L.

$120 for 16s and $140 for 12L free shippping from aero-model.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/Hacker_c_291-1-2.html
http://www.aero-model.com/Hacker-Air...lbs-10lbs.aspx

Built quality of Hacker is almost second to none. That's why I wonder why I should pay more for the motrofly (although they are good). Unless I see more photos or have one in my hand to try. $150 + shipping is quite expensive for an experiment.

Purchased several Rimfire outrunner motors and the built quality is like 7/10 (while Hacker is 9.50)
both are backordered...i dunno, last time i checked aero-model was waiting on a new shipment of 12L's, and everyone else who get theirs raised their prices. im not trying to knock hackers, i have 2. but just saying, I like to support guys who do things right....especially when it is only $10. plus the Kv on the motrolfly is a better match IMO as it can swing a 19x10, the hackers you are stuck at 18x10 (pushing it on the 16s) and 20x10 on the 12L...no in between. just my 2 cents
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:41 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,994 Posts
Quote:
plus the Kv on the motrolfly is a better match IMO as it can swing a 19x10, the hackers you are stuck at 18x10 (pushing it on the 16s) and 20x10 on the 12L...no in between. just my 2 cents
That was the reason I asked about the motrofly 380kv (very good for the Slick 70). The 12L is about 1.5-2.0 oz heavier as well. I wouldn't worry about that $10 or $20. Just want to get the best quality motor.

If going for 8s, the 14L would be my choice for sure.

Vien
Old Dec 04, 2010, 05:53 AM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Quote:
both are backordered...i dunno, last time i checked aero-model was waiting on a new shipment of 12L's, and everyone else who get theirs raised their prices. im not trying to knock hackers, i have 2. but just saying, I like to support guys who do things right....especially when it is only $10. plus the Kv on the motrolfly is a better match IMO as it can swing a 19x10, the hackers you are stuck at 18x10 (pushing it on the 16s) and 20x10 on the 12L...no in between. just my 2 cents
Ok so these are two quality brands closely matched in price and both have availability issues from time to time. AeroModel is getting a shipment next week and I have read that the Motrolflys had been on back-order. Aside from all that, what else? Aside from spec which is always tricky and trial and error for some (glad we have this forum which saves time and money); what is better about the Motrolfly once we get to the airfield and the plane in the air? Also, as many have said (and I have found) that Hacker underrates their motors, are the last statements about prop selection accurate, in practice?

Get your passion about the brand, just want to understand how they are better aside from price and spec. Great discussions, appreciate you point of view, Thx! Dana
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old Dec 04, 2010, 06:41 AM
MK2
IT's A SLICK SICKNESS...
Long Island NY
Joined Oct 2008
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
Extra ! which motor ?

GR 60XL connected to the ICE 100 speed control,
MK2 is offline Find More Posts by MK2
Old Dec 04, 2010, 07:29 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
Joined Aug 2004
9,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danamania View Post
Ok so these are two quality brands closely matched in price and both have availability issues from time to time. AeroModel is getting a shipment next week and I have read that the Motrolflys had been on back-order. Aside from all that, what else? Aside from spec which is always tricky and trial and error for some (glad we have this forum which saves time and money); what is better about the Motrolfly once we get to the airfield and the plane in the air? Also, as many have said (and I have found) that Hacker underrates their motors, are the last statements about prop selection accurate, in practice?

Get your passion about the brand, just want to understand how they are better aside from price and spec. Great discussions, appreciate you point of view, Thx! Dana
yeah, im not trying to say the motrolfly is BETTER quality than the hacker. i have the 12L and its a fantastic motor! i just think that the motrolfly is a better fit for the slick on 6s because of the size prop. i wouldnt hesitate to go with either brand ever for any project
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:53 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Apr 2008
320 Posts
Quote:
yeah, im not trying to say the motrolfly is BETTER quality than the hacker. i have the 12L and its a fantastic motor! i just think that the motrolfly is a better fit for the slick on 6s because of the size prop. i wouldnt hesitate to go with either brand ever for any project
The 4325 is made of parts made in China, but is one of a few that will be built and wound in the US. We are also using an NSK concentric bearing from Japan. That's the extra $10. I have been told that the 4325 has more pull out of Hover than the Hacker as well, once more people try these motors it should open some eyes.

We are expecting the 4325 to be back in stock this coming week.

Ken
Subsonic Ken is offline Find More Posts by Subsonic Ken
Old Dec 04, 2010, 01:04 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic Ken View Post
The 4325 is made of parts made in China, but is one of a few that will be built and wound in the US. We are also using an NSK concentric bearing from Japan. That's the extra $10. I have been told that the 4325 has more pull out of Hover than the Hacker as well, once more people try these motors it should open some eyes.

Ken

Can anyone suggest a specific a NiMh 5C pack (800-1600mah) that would be reliable for powering 4 HS-985mg's?
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Dec 04, 2010, 01:17 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
Joined Aug 2004
9,390 Posts
Quote:

Ken
awesome news ken. cant wait for the bigger ones as well
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2010, 01:29 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Can anyone suggest a specific a NiMh 5C pack (800-1600mah) that would be reliable for powering 4 HS-985mg's?
How about using Life 6.6v - 1100 mah - 10C pack ?
Old Dec 04, 2010, 01:30 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,994 Posts
Quote:

Ken
Ken,
Could you post more photos of the motor (4325) on your web (or here) ?

Vien
Old Dec 04, 2010, 02:12 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,214 Posts
What makes the Motrolfly a better fit for the Slick some ask?
This is of course a very personal choice, and what one likes others may not. But for me what I like is that the Motrolfly ran cooler than similar sized motors and at higher power levels. The Hackers that everybody was using (other than the -12L) were all making around 1800-1900 watts. I was running my Motrolfly at 2200 watts quite comfortably. It wasn't running hot at that power level. And there weren't any other ~15oz motors out there running at that power level comfortably. The Hacker A50-12L is probably the closest, but the KV of it makes you run a 20" prop in order to get more than 2000 watts out of it. The Motrolfly is just a nice kv, enabling a really nice choice of prop for the Slick. The 19x10 Xoar feels right at home on the Slick to me.
I don't know of any other motors that will run at about 2200 watts spinning a 19x10 prop. Or even a ~460kv and a 19x8 prop might make similar power levels. And one that will run at reasonably cool temps (<140 degrees) while doing that....
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Dec 04, 2010, 02:22 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
What makes the Motrolfly a better fit for the Slick some ask?
This is of course a very personal choice, and what one likes others may not. But for me what I like is that the Motrolfly ran cooler than similar sized motors and at higher power levels. The Hackers that everybody was using (other than the -12L) were all making around 1800-1900 watts. I was running my Motrolfly at 2200 watts quite comfortably. It wasn't running hot at that power level. And there weren't any other ~15oz motors out there running at that power level comfortably. The Hacker A50-12L is probably the closest, but the KV of it makes you run a 20" prop in order to get more than 2000 watts out of it. The Motrolfly is just a nice kv, enabling a really nice choice of prop for the Slick. The 19x10 Xoar feels right at home on the Slick to me.
I don't know of any other motors that will run at about 2200 watts spinning a 19x10 prop. Or even a ~460kv and a 19x8 prop might make similar power levels. And one that will run at reasonably cool temps (<140 degrees) while doing that....
Having almost the same KV (~380 kv), the A50-16s runs hotter than the Motrofly since it's a smaller motor (370g vs. 405g). Is it a right way to look at?

I am running 19x10 with the A50-16s on my Slick, but I have cooling vents attached to the cowl, and I was flying in 30F weather. The motor was just slightly warm.

Vien