HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 04, 2010, 10:24 PM
www.rcdude.com
JEFFRO503's Avatar
Joined May 2006
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Yes pull the red wire as the ice has a built in BEC

The warning states this:You should NEVER disconnect the red throttle wire
on the Phoenix HV or Phoenix Ice HV ESCs.


The HV series controllers dont have a BEC
AHHHH!!!...HAHA!!....damn tricky wordage! For me anyways. Thanks again for your help man!
JEFFRO503 is offline Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2010, 11:08 PM
ADC Vinyl
Fliprob17's Avatar
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
This is a CH ignition, different style cap, but I think that's the problem. They must have put the wrong size cap on or something. It's solid metal and it's just wider than the white part of the plug, there no way it's ever going over the top of the little snap ring section by the hex part. It's a CM-6 plug ignition for a DLE-30 so I'm not sure why this cap is on there.
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 07:58 AM
ADC Vinyl
Fliprob17's Avatar
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
I figured it out late last night, thanks for the help and replies guys.
The CH ignition has a completely different style cap, it does not have the pressure type snap ring and metal boot like the stock DLE-30 ignition. It's a skinny/solid piece of steel with a small hex opening on it just big enough to slide up on to the white part of the plug, but it would not accept the entire length of the plug, always about a 1/4" gap from the cap to the beginning of the metal. There's a narrow silicone boot contained within the cap. Turns out the boot was way too long preventing more of the white part of the plug from being accepted into the cap, and the hex opening needed to be crimped making it slightly oblong so it pinches snugly on the white part of the plug and holds it in place, allowing the cap to sit flush and be held in place on the metal part of the plug right where the white part ends.

Hopefully I'll see the prop. spin from something other than my arm today
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:39 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17 View Post
I figured it out late last night, thanks for the help and replies guys.
The CH ignition has a completely different style cap, it does not have the pressure type snap ring and metal boot like the stock DLE-30 ignition. It's a skinny/solid piece of steel with a small hex opening on it just big enough to slide up on to the white part of the plug, but it would not accept the entire length of the plug, always about a 1/4" gap from the cap to the beginning of the metal. There's a narrow silicone boot contained within the cap. Turns out the boot was way too long preventing more of the white part of the plug from being accepted into the cap, and the hex opening needed to be crimped making it slightly oblong so it pinches snugly on the white part of the plug and holds it in place, allowing the cap to sit flush and be held in place on the metal part of the plug right where the white part ends.

Hopefully I'll see the prop. spin from something other than my arm today
You know we want video right?
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:42 AM
Registered User
starzen's Avatar
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17 View Post
I figured it out late last night, thanks for the help and replies guys.
The CH ignition has a completely different style cap, it does not have the pressure type snap ring and metal boot like the stock DLE-30 ignition. It's a skinny/solid piece of steel with a small hex opening on it just big enough to slide up on to the white part of the plug, but it would not accept the entire length of the plug, always about a 1/4" gap from the cap to the beginning of the metal. There's a narrow silicone boot contained within the cap. Turns out the boot was way too long preventing more of the white part of the plug from being accepted into the cap, and the hex opening needed to be crimped making it slightly oblong so it pinches snugly on the white part of the plug and holds it in place, allowing the cap to sit flush and be held in place on the metal part of the plug right where the white part ends.

Hopefully I'll see the prop. spin from something other than my arm today
great. Know how that feels. I had to work on my DLE 55 last weekend. My shoulder hurt after a while.

This weekend i hope to get the 70 slick with the DLE30 from the garage sale to run if i get all the pieces in today
starzen is offline Find More Posts by starzen
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:52 AM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,821 Posts
Anyone have a Red Slick they want to sell?
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:10 AM
Registered User
starzen's Avatar
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Anyone have a Red Slick they want to sell?
looks like they went up in value dramatically
starzen is offline Find More Posts by starzen
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:21 AM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starzen View Post
looks like they went up in value dramatically
I might settle for the other color scheme, although I really don't like it. Also might consider the 72" Extra.

Anyone fly both? Pros/Cons?

I have flown the 57" Extra.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:27 AM
doh!
ryan_m's Avatar
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,364 Posts
I have both. Really hard to list pros and cons, they both fly really well. Some say the Extra has the edge in precision stuff, some say the Slick has a slight edge at 3d. To me they both feel equally capable, just different. The Extra is probably slightly easier to hover for me as it seems to have a tiny bit more rudder authority, and that's always what I find myself wanting more of. I got used to flying profile planes that have waaay more rudder power than you ever need, so these planes always feel a bit lacking on it to me. But I can't really say one is better than the other. Just different...
The 330 is heavier by about 1/2lb so it takes a little more power out of the setup to have the same feel for hover punch out and such.

Where is H town? Houston? Ever get up towards Little Rock? I'm sure I could part with either my Slick or my Extra, can't see the need to keep both.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:52 AM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
I have both. Really hard to list pros and cons, they both fly really well. Some say the Extra has the edge in precision stuff, some say the Slick has a slight edge at 3d. To me they both feel equally capable, just different. The Extra is probably slightly easier to hover for me as it seems to have a tiny bit more rudder authority, and that's always what I find myself wanting more of. I got used to flying profile planes that have waaay more rudder power than you ever need, so these planes always feel a bit lacking on it to me. But I can't really say one is better than the other. Just different...
The 330 is heavier by about 1/2lb so it takes a little more power out of the setup to have the same feel for hover punch out and such.

Where is H town? Houston? Ever get up towards Little Rock? I'm sure I could part with either my Slick or my Extra, can't see the need to keep both.
Thanks for the info. I guess I need to think about it. Rudder authority is very important to me too. Yes, I am in Houston. I have never been to AK.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 10:02 AM
ADC Vinyl
Fliprob17's Avatar
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
You know we want video right?
Oh....I think we will video everything.....this has just about taken a year now working on it on and off. I took about a 4 month break from even looking at it when my stock ignition failed.......so I can guarantee there won't by much "just circle fly it and break-in that engine" stuff going on at all. I almost feel sorry for the plane.

Not out of the woods yet, still have to make sure it actually starts, but having correct spark is a step in the right direction.

Quote:
great. Know how that feels. I had to work on my DLE 55 last weekend. My shoulder hurt after a while.
Yep, pretty much threw mine out yesterday. and to add insult to injury, I have a new Sullivan Dynatron starter......but it would barely even spin the prop. on 12v and that's all I have......so I need to go 24v with it and double up the batteries.
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 10:25 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
rcbirk21's Avatar
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I might settle for the other color scheme, although I really don't like it. Also might consider the 72" Extra.

Anyone fly both? Pros/Cons?

I have flown the 57" Extra.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1333037

rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 11:59 AM
www.rcdude.com
JEFFRO503's Avatar
Joined May 2006
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
I have both. Really hard to list pros and cons, they both fly really well. Some say the Extra has the edge in precision stuff, some say the Slick has a slight edge at 3d. To me they both feel equally capable, just different. The Extra is probably slightly easier to hover for me as it seems to have a tiny bit more rudder authority, and that's always what I find myself wanting more of. I got used to flying profile planes that have waaay more rudder power than you ever need, so these planes always feel a bit lacking on it to me. But I can't really say one is better than the other. Just different...
The 330 is heavier by about 1/2lb so it takes a little more power out of the setup to have the same feel for hover punch out and such.

Where is H town? Houston? Ever get up towards Little Rock? I'm sure I could part with either my Slick or my Extra, can't see the need to keep both.
Ryan.....are you saying the 72" SC comes out to be about a 1/2lb more then the 70" slick? Just curious , as i want to order one of the SC up and was thinking of going with the same power setup I'll have on my slick.
JEFFRO503 is offline Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 12:03 PM
Registered User
vienquach's Avatar
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,036 Posts
Haven't weighed my SC yet, but flying with 8s setup it still feel very floaty.
Dont see anyone selling the Velox.
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 12:55 PM
doh!
ryan_m's Avatar
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,364 Posts
Yes. For me, same setup, same equipment, the Slick weighed in at 9lb 1oz and the SC was 9lb 9oz. 1/2 lb of difference between the two. Now the Slick is an electric version, where the SC has only one version and it is clear that there are extra reinforcements to accommodate the gas engine setups. The SC also has a larger wing (more area) and actually probably feels very slightly floatier than the Slick.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll 3D hobby shop 51" slick or 55" SHP? appleflyer 3D Flying 24 Mar 24, 2009 06:29 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop's AJ Slick Clark Warfel Electric Plane Talk 3 May 08, 2008 07:31 AM