HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:46 PM
Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2008
327 Posts
I like the idea of bigger wheels like jfv61 did. JV, do you know the diameter of the wheel shaft? I think that will determine which wheels I can go up to. Thinking about getting air tires with a tread.
brucewsb is offline Find More Posts by brucewsb
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:58 PM
R.I.P. my 70" FB Slick
Moody, AL
Joined Jan 2006
1,657 Posts
Hey guys, I noticed that the GR-60XL comes with an extra collar with a set screw. Does this go on behind the C clip on the motor shaft just as a little extra insurance?

Thanks,
Dustin
Wildman777 is offline Find More Posts by Wildman777
Old Sep 10, 2009, 01:01 PM
Go guerrilla
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2005
4,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewsb
...JV, do you know the diameter of the wheel shaft?...
I did have to enlarge the hole in the wheel but don't recall what size bit I ended up with. I pretty much end up drilling bigger wheels out for the shaft on all my planes. I take a stock wheel and find a bit that fits inside best (I have both metric and english bits). Sometimes it takes a little work, IMO better snug than loose...
jfv61 is offline Find More Posts by jfv61
Old Sep 10, 2009, 01:19 PM
Fort Collins Colorado USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
I'm looking over the manual before the plane gets here. I feel more comfortable with 30 min. epoxy since I have used it more in hinging. If using 30 minute epoxy and putting vaseline on the rotating part of the hinge can I hinge both the stab and rudder side at the same time to save time or do I have to do 1 side and let it dry for about 2 hours then do the other side. Thanks
Joe
jadamian75 is offline Find More Posts by jadamian75
Old Sep 10, 2009, 01:39 PM
Fort Collins Colorado USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman777
Hey guys, I noticed that the GR-60XL comes with an extra collar with a set screw. Does this go on behind the C clip on the motor shaft just as a little extra insurance?

Thanks,
Dustin
Yes. Make sure you use it. These motors are very powerful. On my torque 2812-720, and 2818-900 I forgot to use it and the motors bell was coming off and the magnets were showing. Once I used the collar and set screw I have not had that problem.
Joe
jadamian75 is offline Find More Posts by jadamian75
Old Sep 10, 2009, 01:43 PM
Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2008
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfv61
I did have to enlarge the hole in the wheel but don't recall what size bit I ended up with. I pretty much end up drilling bigger wheels out for the shaft on all my planes. I take a stock wheel and find a bit that fits inside best (I have both metric and english bits). Sometimes it takes a little work, IMO better snug than loose...
I was actually worried more about getting wheels with a hole larger than the shaft. There were some on Chief Aircraft with a 4 and 4.5mm hole.

Looking at the Hangar 9 Pro Lites
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...s/Hangar9.html

and Sullivan wheels
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...van.html#light
Old Sep 10, 2009, 02:00 PM
Go guerrilla
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2005
4,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadamian75
I'm looking over the manual before the plane gets here. I feel more comfortable with 30 min. epoxy since I have used it more in hinging. If using 30 minute epoxy and putting vaseline on the rotating part of the hinge can I hinge both the stab and rudder side at the same time to save time or do I have to do 1 side and let it dry for about 2 hours then do the other side. Thanks
Joe
IMO, it's too much to do all at once. I prefer PU because is expands but then you really have to wait a long time...
Old Sep 10, 2009, 02:01 PM
Go guerrilla
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2005
4,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewsb
I was actually worried more about getting wheels with a hole larger than the shaft...
Maybe Ben can provide shaft dimensions when he has time.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 02:06 PM
Rockwall, TX
Joined Dec 2004
643 Posts
Quote:
IMO, it's too much to do all at once. I prefer PU because is expands but then you really have to wait a long time...
I agree I prefer Gorilla Glue. Should only be about an hour for the Gorrila Glue, but you do have to celan up any glue with alcohol as it expands.

David
DPHOYE is offline Find More Posts by DPHOYE
Old Sep 10, 2009, 02:25 PM
Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2008
327 Posts
Quote:
Maybe Ben can provide shaft dimensions when he has time.
Its ok, I know he's at the Huckfest and my plane will be here Monday and I can measure the shaft then. I'll check the LHS for wheels or order online after that. Looks like I won't even have time to work on the plane next week or next weekend since I've got a 24hr mtn bike race to worry about instead.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 02:31 PM
R.I.P. my 70" FB Slick
Moody, AL
Joined Jan 2006
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadamian75
Yes. Make sure you use it. These motors are very powerful. On my torque 2812-720, and 2818-900 I forgot to use it and the motors bell was coming off and the magnets were showing. Once I used the collar and set screw I have not had that problem.
Joe
Thanks Joe, I figured that was what it was for.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 02:35 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman777
Thanks Joe, I figured that was what it was for.
so it goes in the back of the motor or the front?i havent looked too closely at mine yet
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Sep 10, 2009, 02:41 PM
R.I.P. my 70" FB Slick
Moody, AL
Joined Jan 2006
1,657 Posts
It goes on the back end of the motor where the shaft sticks out. It sounds like we'll want to snug it up against the C clip that's already there and tighten it down.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 02:42 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
ok i thought so,but i havent looked at mine very closely yet.just took it out of the box when i got it saturday and nananaboobood the guys at the flying field with it,and then put it back
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Sep 10, 2009, 03:02 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
hope to start on mine this weekend... but its a busy weekend...

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople