HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:37 AM
Hovering my 85" Katana
Robert Youens's Avatar
Austin, Texas
Joined Mar 2006
924 Posts
To the two fellas that PM me on specs on my Turnigy power package yesterday, sorry I probably sent you some busted links, so here is some info that should help.

Still getting a lot of PM requests on the Turnigy package I am flying on my 70" Slick. I will attach some images below of specifics. You can do an advanced search of user name "Robert Youens" and can get the whole scoop on the set-up and power package with a bunch of photos. My first posts on this thread were when I was setting it up. FYI now at 168 flights on this set-up. Preferred prop is now Xoar 20x8, but Turnigy 19x10 flies almost as well at a fraction of the cost.

Turnigy also has a 5065 - 380kv that is about $10 bucks more that several friends have with good results. May actually be a bit better than the motor I am using. Will allow you to fly a bit faster if your flying style requires that.

Robert
Robert Youens is offline Find More Posts by Robert Youens
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:25 AM
Just "hanging" Around
3D-Dabbler's Avatar
Richmond, VA
Joined Oct 2009
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D*Flyer View Post
I'm also doing a 18x8 Xoar - that is really good flight times! Maybe I should cancel my 6S 5000mha pack order (that is on backorder). Do you like flying with the two packs better than the one 6S? have you tried both?

The two packs are probably a little heaver?

6S 5000 packs weigh anywhere from 715g to 815g

2 4s 3700 or 4000 packs weigh from 830g to 900g

So that is a difference of anywhere from .5 ounces to 2.6 ounces typical or 5.3 ounces from the lightest 6S to the heaviest 8S setup. So in a lot of cases you won't be able to tell the difference. if you go to extremes, then you might be able to perceive a difference in weight of the plane.
3D-Dabbler is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Dabbler
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:46 AM
Artillery! King of Battle!
Brill 1's Avatar
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
Thanks for details the the setup! I might use this setup in a 65" Vyper...since they are on-sale right now!

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Youens View Post
To the two fellas that PM me on specs on my Turnigy power package yesterday, sorry I probably sent you some busted links, so here is some info that should help.

Still getting a lot of PM requests on the Turnigy package I am flying on my 70" Slick. I will attach some images below of specifics. You can do an advanced search of user name "Robert Youens" and can get the whole scoop on the set-up and power package with a bunch of photos. My first posts on this thread were when I was setting it up. FYI now at 168 flights on this set-up. Preferred prop is now Xoar 20x8, but Turnigy 19x10 flies almost as well at a fraction of the cost.

Turnigy also has a 5065 - 380kv that is about $10 bucks more that several friends have with good results. May actually be a bit better than the motor I am using. Will allow you to fly a bit faster if your flying style requires that.

Robert
Brill 1 is offline Find More Posts by Brill 1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:51 AM
Registered User
starzen's Avatar
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
so darn tempting

always wanted a slick but the 51 didnt fit my batteries

have two A50-12L's sitting here. One waiting for the 72 and one is a 'spare' that could do wonders in a 70 slick. For the 72 i have an ICE100/BEC Pro and 4 7985's

that would go so well into a 70 slick ...
starzen is offline Find More Posts by starzen
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:39 AM
Registered User
3D*Flyer's Avatar
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined May 2010
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC4x4 View Post
Mike. The Rimfire only handles up to 6s. Alot of guys are doing 2 x 4s packs to make 8s. You would need to do a Scorpion or Hacker motor. You probably have 4s packs from the 330SC? The Vyper doesn't need 8s though.
I'm gonna be trying a 4035/380 Scorpion on 6s with a 19x8 xoar as soon as my buddy drops off the motor. Should test it this weekend.


Cory
Thanks Cory, I noticed that after I posted that... I just ordered a couple of Rhino 6S 4900 for now, as that's the only thing in stock.

May do some Hyperion later!
3D*Flyer is offline Find More Posts by 3D*Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:21 AM
Hovering my 85" Katana
Robert Youens's Avatar
Austin, Texas
Joined Mar 2006
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belrix View Post
Thanks for details the the setup! I might use this setup in a 65" Vyper...since they are on-sale right now!

Brian
I actually tested a 65 Vyper with the 380 KV Turnigy and I it went vertical like a rocket. The thrust to weight ration was amazing. It could generate approximately 10 to 15% more thrust at the same watts. The Vyper's narrower fuselage uses the power more efficiently and it show up in much better speed and thrust than the Slick with the same set-up.

I still prefer the Slick's floaty feel in the air and it is worth the extra power requirements to me, but the Vyper is very tempting.

Robert
Robert Youens is offline Find More Posts by Robert Youens
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:31 AM
Artillery! King of Battle!
Brill 1's Avatar
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
I have to stop buying airframes if I ever want to get the 87" SHP! But the 65" Vyper looking like it would be AWESOME in high energy maneuvers!

Brian
Brill 1 is offline Find More Posts by Brill 1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:37 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belrix View Post
I have to stop buying airframes if I ever want to get the 87" SHP! But the 65" Vyper looking like it would be AWESOME in high energy maneuvers!

Brian
tis AWESOME, tis...
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:36 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
rcbirk21's Avatar
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,416 Posts
yeah, i loved fly Irg's vyper...talk about the perfect knife edge plane! not to mention how much easier to knife edge spins compared to the 70 slick. im still having fits with it, but on Irg's i did it perfect the first time
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:08 PM
Just "hanging" Around
3D-Dabbler's Avatar
Richmond, VA
Joined Oct 2009
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
yeah, i loved fly Irg's vyper...talk about the perfect knife edge plane! not to mention how much easier to knife edge spins compared to the 70 slick. im still having fits with it, but on Irg's i did it perfect the first time
I have not had any issues KE spinning the 70" slick. Some planes like the 57" Extra SC KE Spin tighter and harder with a touch of aileron thrown in. The un-repaired 70" Slick is not one of those. I just use a little aileron to initiate it and then it is all elevator while it is falling in the KE Spin.

My other slick (once repaired) benefits from a little aileron as the plane falls int he KE Spin.

But then again maybe the repair had nothing to do with it. The repaired slick is a version 1 and the other slick is from the new batch with the shorter motor box.
3D-Dabbler is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Dabbler
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:10 PM
Just "hanging" Around
3D-Dabbler's Avatar
Richmond, VA
Joined Oct 2009
1,589 Posts
On a funny side note, the KE spins with the 70" slick have pulled enough Gs to rip my ESC, receiver and batteries loose. All of those with the exception of the batteries were zip tied down quite tight. The batteries were just heavily velcroed.
3D-Dabbler is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Dabbler
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:12 PM
3D Wanna Be
sk8rob's Avatar
Oahu, Hawaii
Joined Jul 2009
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Youens View Post
To the two fellas that PM me on specs on my Turnigy power package yesterday, sorry I probably sent you some busted links, so here is some info that should help.

Still getting a lot of PM requests on the Turnigy package I am flying on my 70" Slick. I will attach some images below of specifics. You can do an advanced search of user name "Robert Youens" and can get the whole scoop on the set-up and power package with a bunch of photos. My first posts on this thread were when I was setting it up. FYI now at 168 flights on this set-up. Preferred prop is now Xoar 20x8, but Turnigy 19x10 flies almost as well at a fraction of the cost.

Turnigy also has a 5065 - 380kv that is about $10 bucks more that several friends have with good results. May actually be a bit better than the motor I am using. Will allow you to fly a bit faster if your flying style requires that.

Robert
I'm thinking of trying out this setup on a 72" SC...you didn't seem to have any problems when I saw you flying it at FLI. The only problems I remember were after hours, but that's a whole different story....hahahaha
sk8rob is offline Find More Posts by sk8rob
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:13 PM
You're good!
Safety Hawk's Avatar
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Dabbler View Post
On a funny side note, the KE spins with the 70" slick have pulled enough Gs to rip my ESC, receiver and batteries loose. All of those with the exception of the batteries were zip tied down quite tight. The batteries were just heavily velcroed.
I think you went through a couple of canopies as well.
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:18 PM
Just "hanging" Around
3D-Dabbler's Avatar
Richmond, VA
Joined Oct 2009
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk View Post
I think you went through a couple of canopies as well.
Ha ha ha, Oh yeah, I Forgot about that

It has worked great since I replaced the dowels with Carbon fiber rods.
3D-Dabbler is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Dabbler
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:46 PM
Hovering my 85" Katana
Robert Youens's Avatar
Austin, Texas
Joined Mar 2006
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rob View Post
I'm thinking of trying out this setup on a 72" SC...you didn't seem to have any problems when I saw you flying it at FLI. The only problems I remember were after hours, but that's a whole different story....hahahaha
Rob,

After a long day of flying and after a few drinks, I was told I turn into "evil Robert". I must have had fun because everyone told me the next morning that I did. Every now and then people bring up stories that happened that night at Fly and I'm going "No sh** I really did that". It was Eddie and the evil whiskey that did it. All benefits of camping at the field.

Robert
Robert Youens is offline Find More Posts by Robert Youens
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll 3D hobby shop 51" slick or 55" SHP? appleflyer 3D Flying 24 Mar 24, 2009 06:29 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop's AJ Slick Clark Warfel Electric Plane Talk 3 May 08, 2008 07:31 AM